Old 11 November 2019, 14:08   #81

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Love a good maintenance thread. Someone who knows what they’re doing & takes pride in looking after their kit.[emoji106][emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 14:14   #82

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks PD.

Perhaps most important...

She fired up with a couple of pulls and no fuel or water leaks. Also the carb work has resolved what I thought was a characteristic of the engine... a bit of a 4-stroking/misfire briefly just over idle speed. So minimal I didn't have concerns over it but that's a bonus anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Post overhaul running.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	131442  
Old 11 November 2019, 17:20   #83

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Great preventable maintenance this David personnely I think justified with an engine of this age although it's been very well looked after gives confidance to you knowing the engine more in terms of the bits that go wrong have been maintained
Old 15 November 2019, 17:43   #84

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Hi Fenlander, great thread.

Its a huge coincidence, I just visited the forum to ask some advice in a motor I am watching.

I currently have a new 15HP yam 4 stroke, which tips the scales at 51Kg. I was thinking about a 2 storke, which I think would make me more inclined to use my boat more. I was looking on ebay and saw this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-15...53.m1438.l2649

Virtually the same engine as yours and tips the scales at 34Kg! I think the model year is 2005 (N). I have asked the seller if he knows any history, but he doesn't. If it is 2005 model year, does this mean that it dates to after 2 stroke sales were restricted and could be an ex rescue boat or commercial engine? or did the restrictions come in after that?

On the one hand the engine looks very tidy, but on the other hand the seller doesn't offer much information - I'm not sure if he is a rubbish ebayer or if he is hiding things!
Old 15 November 2019, 19:39   #85

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankton View Post
Hi Fenlander, great thread.

Its a huge coincidence, I just visited the forum to ask some advice in a motor I am watching.

I currently have a new 15HP yam 4 stroke, which tips the scales at 51Kg. I was thinking about a 2 storke, which I think would make me more inclined to use my boat more. I was looking on ebay and saw this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-15...53.m1438.l2649

Virtually the same engine as yours and tips the scales at 34Kg! I think the model year is 2005 (N). I have asked the seller if he knows any history, but he doesn't. If it is 2005 model year, does this mean that it dates to after 2 stroke sales were restricted and could be an ex rescue boat or commercial engine? or did the restrictions come in after that?

On the one hand the engine looks very tidy, but on the other hand the seller doesn't offer much information - I'm not sure if he is a rubbish ebayer or if he is hiding things!
I'm not telling you what to do at all, but if I was after one of these and thought that the price was far, I'd be snapping that up asap.

I was in this predicament 18 months ago with a Yamaha 90 2 stroke. I went ahead and bought it, for most of that 18 months it's been on a pallet in my garage and I've been sweating about it. Recently my project was ready for its engine and on it went. So far it looks like I have a good'n. (Fingers still crossed until sea trials).

Sometimes you have to take a chance or someone else will.
Old 15 November 2019, 20:19   #86

Town: Eastbourne
Agreed that's a good price if its all running well and in good condition etc , i would go and take a look as soon as you can.
I thinks its the best balance of manageable weight and power.
Old 15 November 2019, 20:24   #87

Hi Blankton. By chance I have that Yamaha in watch just to see what it makes. Looks very clean.

I have been so impressed by mine. Other than mine looking tidy and a degree of reassurance being from a dealer with a 3mth warranty mine had no history and has turned out to be spot on re its mechanics.

They were legally sold to at least 2006 and possibly 2007 so I'd guess that's a privately used OB.

I would just ask the seller one more question. Ask for an image under the hood of the back of the engine/spark plug area and upload it here... to see if the cyl head paint shows much sign of browning due to overheating.

At least you know where to get info if you did buy.
Old 15 November 2019, 22:44   #88

Fenlander, I am very tempted, as it looks very straight. What do you think is a reasonable price for that? I thought end of November, out of season, a bargain might be on the cards.....but the bids are climbing.
Old 15 November 2019, 23:06   #89

In a way it’s worth what it’s worth to you really. In my case I paid top money because I believed mine would be as good as It turned out and the dealer was able to quickly pallet it to me. It also got me to a 15hp at a weight I could carry.

Regarding the Ebay one I think it may go £1000-£1200 and I’d happily pay that.
Old 16 November 2019, 06:54   #90

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
With one day to go and the fact you have told everyone on here about it that will go for over £1000 and it is worth all of that.

These are excellent engines and very hard to come by.

Pepople worry far too much when buying this sort of thing and also expect too much for an old engine
Old 17 November 2019, 08:52   #91

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
£1250 Apparently
Old 17 November 2019, 11:17   #92

Yes, £1250. A bit rich for me. There is another on there listed in a classified for £1000 which looks in similar condition, 1 year older.

The temptation of a 34kg outboard is very high! It's easier to loose 17kg from my boat like that, than by going on a diet.
Old 17 November 2019, 12:09   #93

A robust price a bit more in keeping with summer values. Supports the price I paid which I thought would be regarded as a little high.

Have you a link for the one in Classifieds as I can't see it.
Old 17 November 2019, 12:49   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Have you a link for the one in Classifieds as I can't see it.

Hmm.... it's disappeared. It was there at £1200 or best offer and then he lowered the price to £1000 or best offer yesterday.

I'd guess someone has snapped it up for a cash deal and he has cancelled the listing. Can't blame him, there would be a lot of fees on that!
Old 17 November 2019, 13:39   #95

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
A robust price a bit more in keeping with summer values. Supports the price I paid which I thought would be regarded as a little high.

‘Appen it’s been well looked after[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 17:28   #96

Quote:
Fenlander, I am very tempted, as it looks very straight. What do you think is a reasonable price for that? I thought end of November, out of season, a bargain might be on the cards.....but the bids are climbing.
You should perhaps stop alerting the people on here to things if you wish to buy them. People on here will have it from under your nose
Old 17 November 2019, 18:46   #97

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
You should perhaps stop alerting the people on here to things if you wish to buy them. People on here will have it from under your nose

🤣🤣🤣 [emoji106]
Old 17 November 2019, 20:06   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
🤣🤣🤣 [emoji106]

OK, own up, was it one of the 50 odd people that have viewed this thread in the last 24 hours, or was it one of the 5 million odd uk ebay members that brought the engine?! If I was after a yamahe 15hp 2 stroke engine I'd probably save a search for "Yamaha 2 stroke 15HP outboard" on ebay - that way they email you, rather than having to trawl internet forums for random leads!

I don't think the reason that I missed out was because of my post, it was because it was a desirable engine, which a lot of people would want. I'll keep looking for another Yam.
Old 17 November 2019, 21:19   #99

Quote:
OK, own up, was it one of the 50 odd people that have viewed this thread in the last 24 hours, or was it one of the 5 million odd uk ebay members that brought the engine?! If I was after a yamahe 15hp 2 stroke engine I'd probably save a search for "Yamaha 2 stroke 15HP outboard" on ebay - that way they email you, rather than having to trawl internet forums for random leads!

I don't think the reason that I missed out was because of my post, it was because it was a desirable engine, which a lot of people would want. I'll keep looking for another Yam.
It don't need 5 Million only 1
Old 03 February 2020, 09:54   #100

As well as pulling over the outboard in the winter now and again to move pistons and impeller to different positions I usually start and run in the bucket for 15mins mid layup period on a mild day... yesterday was that day.

Started fine third pull but only ran for about 20secs and stopped... then refused to restart despite pulling over about 30 times. Very annoying as I put it away in great running order.

Turned out to be somewhat self-inflicted which I thought was better than a new fault appearing.

When I overhauled the carb with a new gasket set despite being OE Yamaha the float bowl rubber was a little oversize and didn't sit in its groove easily. So I spot "glued" it in a few areas to hold in place... with a supposed fuel/oil resistant gasket compound.

I'd taken care not to have loads of surplus that could go into the fuel but some evidently had and blocked the slow running jet completely.... the small blob of red gasket sealer on the jet was the culprit I prodded out.

Thankfully once cleaned and assembled it started easily, ran at revs and settled to an even idle.

Shan't use that gasket compound for that purpose again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Float chamber 0220.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	132024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb jet blockage 0202.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	132025  

Tags
yamaha