Old 16 January 2010, 15:06   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Yam 60 HP No R Gear

Was installing a new Yam 60 HP, 2 strokes. With engine off, when clutching to forward gear, ok, when reversing not a thing, not even moving flywheel with hand and reversing, no absolutely nothing, the prop spins freely to both sides with hand. Before asking for the warranty, what should be looked for ? If running the engine on, will perform the same, correct ?

Happy Boating
Old 16 January 2010, 18:17   #2

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Loco:

It does seem like stating the obvious BUT you offer all sorts of advice as a dealer but also ask for all sorts of info. Now if you are going to charge someone for work you have done while asking all on here how to do it surely you should take a trade membership!

Just my 2p worth but I won't be giving you anymore of my (admitedly) pitiful knoelrdge.

Ian
Old 16 January 2010, 19:49   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I'm with you Ian.
Old 16 January 2010, 22:58   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Loco, Do yamaha not train their dealers/resellers in your part of the world? I thought someone else was actually rigging the boat? given its your first time I would guess that the gear shift cable is incorrectly adjusted. Can you engage reverse by hand with the remote cable removed?
Old 17 January 2010, 00:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Loco:

It does seem like stating the obvious BUT you offer all sorts of advice as a dealer but also ask for all sorts of info. Now if you are going to charge someone for work you have done while asking all on here how to do it surely you should take a trade membership!

Just my 2p worth but I won't be giving you anymore of my (admitedly) pitiful knoelrdge.

Ian
To clear some ideas. What should I trade being 30 thousand kilometers away ? I only expect some kind of info reciprocity, as I give much more info than the one being requested, by your post seems ribbers are far more exquisite & intolerant than sibbers, that's the sensation I got. The advise I offer is from exhaustive personal experimentation mostly from being a long user, has nothing to do about being a dealer, really don't understand why you place premature out of context comments like: I'm making a free profit out of Ribnet.

If you are reffering about 530 rib info requested, sorry, the work is not being done by me, Just wanted to know how it's done, so to rig correctly my future rib, the owner is rigging his rib with his crew, besides loosing time and travel expense to have a look, my real profit is 0. Next time should read the whole thread and avoid exercising your fingers with aggressive answers.

Polwart, I'm not a Yamaha dealer, I'm a Tohatsu dealer, the owner purchased the Yam for the 530 rib, cannot place my hands on it because of loosing the Yam warranty if anything goes wrong, besides never put my hands on an engine don't know or not been trained for, doesn't matter if the reverse gear is shifted by hand or by the control box, doesn't do a thing. Works ok by hand and remote control box when shifting forward.

The idea was to test the rib this week end, but during check overs before going to sea, this unexpected gear issue appeared, anyway the Yam tecinician will give a look monday morning, that's warranty for...

Happy whatever...
Old 17 January 2010, 07:59   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Loco - the Yam won't be a whole lot different to the Twatsu - but as you say its not your responsibility to fix it. My expectation would be that when you get a problem like that with a brand new engine your first port of call (or the owners) would be to call Yam, especially since you are not allowed to touch the engine. If it is something trivial they can probably talk you through diagnostics and fixing on the phone.

PS I think what is P*ss*ng people off is that you are being paid to supply some or all of: boats/engines/accessories/rigging** from which you presumably profit - but the expertise enabling you to do that is coming from an internet forum which you are making no financial contribution towards. I'm glad you believe the balance of "information sharing" is already in your favour - I'm not sure that everyone sees it that way. Your preaching on certain SIB issues presents you as an expert - but then to address some trivial issues you are coming here looking for help.

PPS you might want to brush up your geography. The internet is of course global - so if someone local to you is searching for a dealier/supplier RIBnet may well be where they arrive (try searching RIB dealer Peru or Tohatsu dealer Peru - ribnet appears on the front page for me!).

** even if not supplying all of these for money now it is presumably the intention.
Old 17 January 2010, 15:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
What should I trade being 30 thousand kilometers away ?
Drugs... but given your "expertise" on anything to do with boats I'd leave both the drugs and the boats to the experts.
RIBnet Supporter or Trade Membership wouldn't go amiss. I don't think you've contributed that much to this forum.
Old 17 January 2010, 15:28   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
Loco:

Ian
I'm with locozodiac on this one. Let's remember what Ribnet is all about, a shared forum to discuss anything even remotely related to RIBs or indeed SIBs. A little patience is all that's required. He's in bleed'n Peru, not down the M5!
Attached Images

Old 17 January 2010, 15:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'm with locozodiac on this one. Let's remember what Ribnet is all about, a shared forum to discuss anything even remotely related to RIBs or indeed SIBs. A little patience is all that's required. He's in bleed'n Peru, not down the M5!
How would you feel if the "expert" you paid to rig/fix your boat got all his info off a forum. If you read the other threads he started he didn't know where to start on rigging the RIB he was getting in.
Old 17 January 2010, 16:19   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
How would you feel if the "expert" you paid to rig/fix your boat got all his info off a forum. If you read the other threads he started he didn't know where to start on rigging the RIB he was getting in.
I'm simply being devil's advocate.
Old 19 January 2010, 17:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Some aclarations, seems there's just only 1 1/2 pissed mates, being a local dealer my business is cenetered in Lima, Peru, well known mostly from my web page and emailing services and of course word of mouth and definitely when sibbing around local waters.

How can I be a supporter if apart from me, don't know any single local sibber/ribber that knows or heard about Ribnet, as I found it just by accident, So far have received very light limbo answers, that I know have not asked the pissed guys to send me a diagram, clear photos on how it's done or strict measurements, so what's the big piss for theory rather than effective to follow hand labor info. ? Besides no one is obliged to answer, this is a free forum where you learn and change tech informations about real boat world with others. If you don't want to share with others, don't share, but change your selfish attitude. If I wanted to keep for myself all the information I know, wouldn't shared a single post with sibbers in Ribnet.

Light reader Chewy, did explain about the 530 rib rigging, this rib is not a rocket going to Jupiter nor I'm a blind person, have still both arms & hands and a perfect working brain and TG very skillful in what I do, so let me tell you that the rib was finally rigged with owner's crew and me and for being the first time counting with unprecise info sent by ribbers, we've done a great job and the sib will cruise as expected, so don't get sarcastic with me posting malicious statements as having received precious theory info, when practic rigging data was needed, just to publicly ridicule me. Had to go to check others local ribs to see how they were rigged, so it's no Ribnet top secret information you are sharing with me. So don't claim on behalf of the owner who happens to be my cousin. Maybe my sib posts are useless to you being a "expert ribber" (touche), but other sibbers finds this information interesting and precisely written by the emails I receive by my personal email.

So to end this nonsense posts, let's be impartial, let John decide if I'm making a personal profit out of unprecise Ribnet information.

Bottomline: No matter who does the job, will have a labor cost, or do you work for free, in that case will send an air ticket to anybody to rig my future rib and have nice time sipping piscos sours while ribbing down here. Anyone...?

Happy Whatever
Old 19 January 2010, 19:51   #12

I don't work for free, far from it. I also don't go to work and come home and post my problems on the internet for others to solve because I don't have a basic knowledge of my trade.

Which post did I say I was an "expert ribber"?

To be a RIBnet supporter you don't have to live near anyone who uses the sight. The idea behind it is if you receive some useful info then you could donate £20 to JK to show your appreciation, you can have an avatar then.

When myself and Ian don't like is you not supporting the forum and using the info given for personal profit. If you can find one other RIB dealer on here who does this can you point it out?

I'm glad you worked out for yourself that when you turn the wheel to port the boat should turn to port.

I seem to remember you having a sulk when trying to shift a load of gauges and I suggested you could just whack the tube to see if it was hard....
Old 19 January 2010, 21:36   #13

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
...1 1/2 pissed mates, .....have not asked the pissed guys ....what's the big piss.....nice time sipping piscos.....
Errrr, have you been on the piss, Loco?
Old 19 January 2010, 21:54   #14

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Errrr, have you been on the piss, Loco?
Oi don't take the Piss