Old 12 March 2009, 20:22   #1

Town: Wrexham. North Wales
Boat name: FOG DUCKER
Make: OSPREY.
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki
Wot oil

Hi Guys
I still run a 2 stroke suzi 115 hp, I know, I know... I should 'ave moved on by now to a four stroke, Etc, Etc, Etc, But Ive had this ol' bird quite a while now,(5years) & I'm quite fond of it, and it OWES me a fair ol' wack in service bills and all the tender loving care i give it Etc, and the fact that she's quite reliable is the raeson it's still with me.
Anyway, An elderly sea fairing chap was telling me the other day,that the best way to avoid marine failure, and to get a far better reliability from it etc, that I should be putting in a special type of 2 stroke oil only suitible for boat engines like powerful ribs, and hard working out board engines, instead of the stuff I get from my local shell garage, Is this true?? what is this special oil? or is he pulling my wire?...
Old 12 March 2009, 20:50   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
You can get Quicksilver outboard oil for outboards. If you have a manual for the engine it'll tell you what standard the oil has to be. As long as you use this oil it'll be fine.
Old 12 March 2009, 23:46   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
TCW3 is the spec for 2 stroke outboard oil.

Don't buy branded stuff - it's a waste of money. I have a suzuki 2 stroke and use Rock Oil. If you buy enough they should deal direct. MP3 is the stuff(stupid name though).

http://www.rockoil.co.uk/

I love 2 strokes. At lower speeds a 4 stroke may be better on fuel but the faster you go the less the difference is.
Old 13 March 2009, 01:43   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
TCW3 is the spec for 2 stroke outboard oil.

If you buy enough they should deal direct. MP3 is the stuff(stupid name though).

I recently collected a 25lt barrel of the stuff costing £76. I'm running my 70 two stroker and my son is also running his jetski on the stuff..3 quid a litre. bargain!!
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2009, 04:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post

I recently collected a 25lt barrel of the stuff costing £76. I'm running my 70 two stroker and my son is also running his jetski on the stuff..3 quid a litre. bargain!!
At last someone has seen the light!!!
Old 13 March 2009, 19:18   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
What they all say, and 4 strokes are for for girls.
Old 14 March 2009, 20:20   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post

Thats a great price! Nearly £50 cheaper that buying the 5ltr Opti stuff!

Anyone know where I can get it in Ireland?
Old 15 March 2009, 11:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post

I am sure if you contacted them direct they would stick it on a pallet for you. You would probably need to buy 4x 25l drums to make the shipping worth it.
Old 15 March 2009, 12:35   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post

Opti oil (DFI) aint TCW3 it's different, no problem with Rock oil for TCW3 compatable outboards but I wouldn't stick it in my Opti's.
Old 15 March 2009, 13:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Opti oil (DFI) aint TCW3 it's different, no problem with Rock oil for TCW3 compatable outboards but I wouldn't stick it in my Opti's.
I would.

Read this

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000645.html

Mercury say you can use premium+ oil which IS just a normal TCW3. I had a bottle of it and it looked and smelt identical to the rock oil.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...qs/optimax.php

It's all a load of crap just to get people to waste money.
Old 15 March 2009, 16:15   #11

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Engine: Yamaha F15
in my 90 yami I run yamalube, is there a cheaper comparable brand? The yamalube says its semi synthetic, does that make a difference? Thanks stan
Old 15 March 2009, 17:01   #12

The Rock Oil is also semi synthetic but as long as it meets the TCW3 spec you shouldn't have to worry.

Amsoil and Lucas oils are good. Plenty of people use oil from Walmart and Sears etc.

Just like with car oils as long as it's in spec it will be ok.
Old 15 March 2009, 20:16   #13

Quote:
I would.

Read this

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000645.html

Mercury say you can use premium+ oil which IS just a normal TCW3. I had a bottle of it and it looked and smelt identical to the rock oil.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service...qs/optimax.php

It's all a load of crap just to get people to waste money.
[I]

I wouldn't but then unlike you I've actually run Opti's commercially for three years may I ask have you ever owned one, r how many of your mates had em?

Are you basing your opinion on experience or just good old bollox. If I had an ordinary technology two stroke I'd put anything in it that had TCW3 stamped on it

I've also had an oil pump go on an Opti when I was running it on TCW3 but I guess that's never happened to yours has it.

I'm interested that part of the justification for not using DFI is that Merc TCW3 looks and smells the same as Rock Oil....I should hope so they are both TCW3.

Has it ever dawned on you that your prime witness on the continuouswave website could be their equivalent of you According to that article DFI was no longer going to be available 5 years ago well that isn't the case so what else was accurate in it.

the replacement pump cost me over 800 quid
Old 15 March 2009, 21:26   #14

What does the Mercury manual say? I have asked this question several times and nobody has bothered to answer. Does Mercury say you can use the premium + oil - yes or no?

There is no proof at all that using a normal TCW3 caused your oil pump to go.

And i am NOT basing it on Bollox - just what Mercury say - or don't they know what they are talking about either???

"Can I mix the OptiMax oil with the Premium Plus oil that I have been running in my OptiMax?
Yes. OptiMax oil can be mixed with the Mercury Premium Plus oil that you have been running in your OptiMax."
Old 15 March 2009, 21:28   #15

This is direct from the Mercury website.

What alternative/equivalent 2-cycle oils are available when I can't purchase Mercury Marine Precision Lubricants or Quicksilver brands of oil?

If Quicksilver or Mercury Precision Lubricants outboard oil is not available, substitute another brand of 2-cycle outboard oil that is NMMA Certified TC-W3. The use of an inferior 2-cycle outboard oil can reduce engine durability. Damage from use of inferior oil may not be covered under the limited warranty. Always consult your Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual for additional information. Use the Bookshelf link on the Mercury Dockstore page if you need to place an order for a replacement manual.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:03   #16

Quote:
What does the Mercury manual say? I have asked this question several times and nobody has bothered to answer. Does Mercury say you can use the premium + oil - yes or no?
Yes it does if you can't get the DFI and the engine will run on it, but it isn't recommended for long term use. .

Quote:
There is no proof at all that using a normal TCW3 caused your oil pump to go.
It fkkd up when I was running TCW3 that's proof enough for me

Quote:
And i am NOT basing it on Bollox - just what Mercury say - or don't they know what they are talking about either???
really, and yes I reckon that Mercury do know what they are talking about but your quote is a little selective isn't it????

"
Quote:
Can I mix the OptiMax oil with the Premium Plus oil that I have been running in my OptiMax?

Yes. OptiMax oil can be mixed with the Mercury Premium Plus oil that you have been running in your OptiMax."
you overlooked this bit

What is the advantage of the OptiMax/DFI Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Outboard Oil?
The OptiMax/DFI Synthetic Blend 2-Cycle Outboard oil is specifically designed for Mercury Marine direct injected outboard engines. The additive package used in this oil is superior to the other oils we produce and formulated to provide an extra margin of protection in the OptiMax engines. OptiMax engines have additional pressures and temperatures over their carbureted and EFI counterparts.

*OptiMax Oil is ONLY for use with OptiMax Outboard engines and is NOT approved for use with EFI or Carbureted engines manufactured by Mercury Marine, nor is it recommended for use with engines from another manufacturer

thats from the merc website also, What is interesting is that you overlook the fact that the use of DFI oil in non Opti engines is advised against most strongly. This indicates to me that there is a difference between the two oils

My original comment was to an Opti owner and it was

I've got invoices to write and this is eating my time so I'm off. If you and your buddies want to stick it in your Opti's do so but please don't tell me it's the same oil as DFI......well you can if you want but I won't be listening
Old 16 March 2009, 04:40   #17

I did NOT say it was the same as DFI - just said that Mercury says you can use a TCW3 oil.

They would say that the DFI oil is better - cos they make a fortune out of it!!!
Old 16 March 2009, 07:36   #18

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Prior to DFI oil being available, Premium Plus was the recommended oil for an Optimax, Mercury says it can still be used, but say's DFI is better.

Under no circumstances would I run Rock Oil in my motors, no particular reason why, other than that I have a large sum invested in outboards, and don't believe it's worth taking the risk of running what I consider an inferior oil just to try and save a few pence on each fill up.
Old 16 March 2009, 13:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Prior to DFI oil being available, Premium Plus was the recommended oil for an Optimax, Mercury says it can still be used, but say's DFI is better.

Under no circumstances would I run Rock Oil in my motors, no particular reason why, other than that I have a large sum invested in outboards, and don't believe it's worth taking the risk of running what I consider an inferior oil just to try and save a few pence on each fill up.
It's more than a few pence and why should it be inferior?

I am certain Rock Oil is identical to the premium plus - remember Mercury do NOT make/refine/blend their own oil!!!

Would you use premium plus?
Old 16 March 2009, 14:55   #20

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
It's more than a few pence and why should it be inferior?
I've found the price difference to be small, perhaps I'm a better shopper than you. Inferior IMHO, as it's not the genuine article.

Quote:
I am certain Rock Oil is identical to the premium plus - remember Mercury do NOT make/refine/blend their own oil!!!

Would you use premium plus?
That would be IYHO, and like a lot of your advice, somewhat doubtful.

It's true that Mercury don't have their own refinery, but they have their own specifications.

And no, I wouldn't use it in an Optimax, but I do use it in my Promax's, as it's the recomended Mercury oil.

I'd probably use Rockoil in your rattly old Suzuki though, as I expect it's ok for old tech motors