Town: Southampton
Boat name: Kick'em Jenny
Make: Brig Navigator 570
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
RIBase
'Wintering' ETEC90 on dry stack

Hi,

Can I seek some advice on the ETECs self wintering function!!

I have an ETEC 90 (6mnth old) just approaching its first winter. I was told that I need to follow the instructions to get the engine to 'winter itself' before leaving it for the winter.

The boat lives on a dry stack so I might use it during the winter but of course wont know in advance as it depends on the weather.

My question is - when should I run the winter procedure? Should I do it every time I leave it in the drystack between say November and April or just when I think there is a reasonable chance I wont use it for a month or more. What happens if I think I might use it then the weather is rubbish and 3 months passes! Will it cause harm if I don't do it?

Sorry if this is a very newbie question!!!

For reference the boat is in southampton so pretty mild winters with a few patches below zero but not too bad...

Id really appreciate any advice!!!!

Thanks!

Ian
Old 30 September 2013, 15:38   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT View Post
Hi,

Can I seek some advice on the ETECs self wintering function!!

I have an ETEC 90 (6mnth old) just approaching its first winter. I was told that I need to follow the instructions to get the engine to 'winter itself' before leaving it for the winter.

The boat lives on a dry stack so I might use it during the winter but of course wont know in advance as it depends on the weather.

My question is - when should I run the winter procedure? Should I do it every time I leave it in the drystack between say November and April or just when I think there is a reasonable chance I wont use it for a month or more. What happens if I think I might use it then the weather is rubbish and 3 months passes! Will it cause harm if I don't do it?

Sorry if this is a very newbie question!!!

For reference the boat is in southampton so pretty mild winters with a few patches below zero but not too bad...

Id really appreciate any advice!!!!

Thanks!

Ian
Winterising is a bit of a misnomer, it ought to be "Not going to use it for a bit" If the boat is going to be out of use for more than a couple of months, I'd "winterise". This coats all the inside of the engine gubbins In oil which protects against corrosion, especially in the relatively warm, moist salty maritime climate. The up side is that it's a doddle to do with the etec, especially if you have Icommand gauges with later firmware. If not, it's still easy to do using the throttle sequence. You won't do any harm "Over Winterising"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote