Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 10 February 2006, 17:29   #1

Town: Belleville
Boat name: Zodiac FR340
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
which engine for my Zodiac FR340

I am sure this topic was beaten in other threads but I could not find specifics to help me directly with my decision.

I had a Zodiac C260 with a Yamaha 4 and found that would barely push with two of us and two small kids plus all the beach stuff.

I've upgraded to a cadet FR340 and now I'm not sure if a Yamaha 8 2 stroke is the right choice or a 9.9. the boat is rated to maximum 15HP but recommended power is 8.

The goal is to get two adults (70kgeach+ two kids -35kg each) on plane or at least faster than walking pace with a motor that is light and powerful enough. The boat is only 36kg

I was almost convinced that the Yamaha 8 would do the job but I'm not so sure anymore.

Any help from you getlemen would be greatly appreciated. please HELP!
Old 10 February 2006, 17:39   #2

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
put the max it can take on,better to have to much then not enough
Old 10 February 2006, 18:11   #3

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: AKOUNA MATATA
Make: X-TRIM
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2X225 4STR JOHNSON
I don't know if you have them there but a nice "light" solution would be either a tohatsu motor of 15hp about 34kg or the selva (motored by yamaha).
Old 10 February 2006, 18:32   #4
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
I use a 15HP Mariner 2 stroke on the same inflatable. Planes with 3 adults (maybe more I have not tried) and tops out at 20 knots solo with the wind behind you.
I tried it with a 6HP 4 stroke and it would just about plane with two up and top speed was 13 knots solo.
I am a 4 stroke man normally but for the inflatable 15HP @34KG for the two stroke is a winner. Also this is just about my limit for carrying, not sure how those boys with 25HP cope on the bigger inflatables, to heavy for me.
Also get the launching wheels.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2006, 19:14   #5

Boy ya guys are fast! Thank you! No we don't have the Tohatsus here. Plenty of Yamahas, Hondas or Nissans. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I'm stuck to Yamaha since I am trading in my 4stroke 4HP(F4).

I found interesting the post about the same boat Zodiac 340FR with the 6 Yam 2 stroke getting a plane 2 people. Well that is an improvement since my F4 could not get more than one person up.

I should note that I have the planning flaps which were supposed to help but at the same time prevent for installing wheels which sucks...

The initial choice was an Yam8 -2 stroke hoping I can get the two of us plus kids a plane because it is light and fits perfectly in my car trunk. Not to mention it is about $300 cheaper.

But now you all got me worried and sort of making me leaning towards the 15HP 2 stroke one.
Old 10 February 2006, 19:16   #6

Also, anybody know of serious flaws with the 9.9/15 2 strokes from Yamaha? how about the 8HP one? Thanks again!
Old 10 February 2006, 19:31   #7

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by petren
Also, anybody know of serious flaws with the 9.9/15 2 strokes from Yamaha? how about the 8HP one? Thanks again!
I've got the Yam 8hp on my Avon 3.1m RibLite - it's bullet proof as are the 9.9/15 2-stroke Yams. They've been building them for years and the design is well proven. Go for the 15, the 8 will struggle like hell with four people on board and the 9.9 weighs the same as the 15, so no benefit there either. You WILL regret buying an 8hp on that size of boat.
Old 10 February 2006, 19:45   #8

Phil, thank you much! A last squeal: The 4 people are actually not really 4 but two adults (me and wife) plus two kids under 5. I guess almost 3.

I am not looking for speed but at least to get it to plane.

With the Yam8, on your Avon310, how many did you manage to plane with? what is the weight of your boat?

Thank you,

Nick
Old 10 February 2006, 19:50   #9

trolling/noise vibrations on Yam 8 or Yam 9.9/15

Anybody has any experience on how noisy or vibrating the Yam 8 respectively 9.9/15 are at trolling speeds?

My Yam F4 4 stroke was horrible in terms of vibrations but it trolled really slow and was quiet.
Old 10 February 2006, 20:03   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Hey Petren,
The Nissan motor is marketed as the Tohatsu over here in the old world, they are one and the same. My son has a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stroke that pushes his 3.1m-10ft rib along very nicely. I would go for the 15hp with your slightly larger inflatable that should do the job great. Rember the kids get bigger not smaller!!

Bob.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2006, 20:09   #11

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i have the yam 9.9/15

it started life as a 9.9 but if you move the second throttle stop out the way and then change the reed block for the 15hp one then hey presto you have a 15hp, they are both identical engines, also i would recommend going for a 12 pitch prop instead of the 9 it comes with unless you have lots of folks on the boat all the time. it is a brilliant engine, starts super easy, uses hardly any fuel, sounds nice, very smooth and quiet, well made, in your search look for either the 9.9 or 15 to widen your scope and then modify it up to 15

dont go for a fourstroke or a 8 hp as you will regret it when on the water tearrassing along having huge fun
Old 10 February 2006, 20:23   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have a Suzuki 15hp on a quicksilver 310 - very pleased with it - will plane easily with 2 adults and 2 kids on board - does help to move weight forward until on the plane though.

The Suzuki is a great engine but if you intend carrying the boat/engine around inside a car you may be better off with a 2 stroke.

My Suzuki sips fuel - did 40 mile round trip on less than 3 gallons - amazing!!!

As someone else mentioned the launching wheels are really handy - make life so much easier.
Old 11 February 2006, 08:18   #13

Quote:
With the Yam8, on your Avon310, how many did you manage to plane with? what is the weight of your boat?
The boat weighs 43kgs, not much more than your inflatable. Planes easily with just me but will not plane at all with another large adult + labrador, which probably equates to your full load! As Codders says, you have to be careful with chucking 4-stroke engines around in the back of cars due to the oil finding its way into places it shouldn't. Noise and vibration differences between 2 and 4 strokes at this end of the horsepower scale are negligible, despite what the dealers all try and tell you. My Yam 8 is actually quieter and smoother than the F4 I used to have. The 9.9/15 is better again.
Old 11 February 2006, 10:49   #14

here is my 15 yam, has been a perfect engine and runs like a dream, very smooth, has some light scratchs from lifting in and out of the car boot and lots of travelling but otherwise perfect condition. cant recommend them enough over other 15hps on the market, nice and light too. Much better than my evinrude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02062.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	17471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02063.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	17472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02064.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	17473  
Old 11 February 2006, 14:27   #15

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
My 10' Avon runs really well with 2 adults on board and a bit of kit, powered by a 9.9 Evinrude. I previously used a 6hp Suzuki, but this struggled to get onto the plane, so I'd recommend 9.9hp minimum, especially if you are buying new and have a wide choice of options. As other folks have said, if you can afford the extra cost, go for the 15hp. Remember that the 9.9 and 15 weigh the same, (same engine), so if you can justify the extra cost, go for the 15, or buy a 9.9 and carry out the mods Hugh Jardon did to his - will probably be cheaper for you. You don't have to use all of the horses, but if you go for less, you'll always wish you had more!
Old 11 February 2006, 15:33   #16

to mod a 9.9 to a 15

30 quid for reed block
5 quid for 15hp stickers front and rear
pair of pliers for the second throttle stop

if you put on a 12pitch prop then this is around 55-60 quid for genuine yam item

and there you have it

he he
Old 11 February 2006, 20:49   #17

I'm all set. Now thinking about how to move it around

Thank you all who posted answers. They were REALLY heplful. I just went today to the Yamaha dealer and told them to forget about the 8HP upgrade and get me right on the 9.9/15 2 stroke. They said they will mod it free to 15 for me. They also told me I will never have to worry about power with this baby on my Zodiac C340FR.

That is a big relieve. I'm so happy I found this forum!!!

However I still think the 36 kilos on the Yam 9/9/15 2str will be a hassle in long term so I will have to invent something for launching wheels since I cannot mount any due to the planning flaps positioned on the transom. Besides, I hate drilling extra holes in my transom.

I ordered a kayak cart at www.roleez.com and I'll let you know how I managed to get it on and off while launching the boat.

Also, for transportation on a trailer, do you guys worry ever keeping this engine installed on the transom? wouldn't this be to heavy when running over bumps for the transom on a rubber boat? Or you support it somehow underneat? I'm just afraid it will not be too healthy for the transom in long term
Old 11 February 2006, 21:51   #18

Quote:
Also, for transportation on a trailer, do you guys worry ever keeping this engine installed on the transom? wouldn't this be to heavy when running over bumps for the transom on a rubber boat? Or you support it somehow underneat? I'm just afraid it will not be too healthy for the transom in long term
You're right to be afraid - don't do it! Just accept a bit of hassle loading the engine in and out of the car, it's not like you're short of helpers
Old 11 February 2006, 21:52   #19

glad you found the advice useful

i would be tempted to remove the engine but i dont tow the boat myself so i always remove it myself,
with regards to launching wheels i use them and they are superb for walking down the beach, launching then pulling the wheels up and off you go

hope you have a lot of fun

also consider the prop size and if you want high speed and easier cruising consider a 12 pitch
Old 14 February 2006, 01:49   #20

shop manual for the Yam 9.9/15

[QUOTE=Hugh Jardon] to mod a 9.9 to a 15

30 quid for reed block
5 quid for 15hp stickers front and rear
pair of pliers for the second throttle stop

if you put on a 12pitch prop then this is around 55-60 quid for genuine yam item

Hugh, would you happen to have or know where a shop manual for the Yam 9.9/15 2stroke can be downloaded? I already downloaded the user manual.

Thanks,

Nick