Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
whats its worth ?

2016 mercury 4 stroke 150 with very high hours, no main dealer history,
what do you think guys so new 10800
Old 18 April 2017, 19:34   #2

define very high hours?

500, 1000, 2000 hrs? will have a major impact on the price.

was the fluids changed properly?
Old 18 April 2017, 19:52   #3

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
850 hours oil not reg as i think
Old 18 April 2017, 19:53   #4

but bare mind 1400 hr suzi 250 hp 2010 went on ebay for £3950 with history
Old 18 April 2017, 20:08   #5

you can't compare the zuke to this, diff ball game, twice the price originally, only 200 hours per year ave etc.

without phoning and getting a deal, they are 10k new online so i would say you are looking at 5k tops with no history.

however, i wouldn't go near it if not regular oil changes...ymmv

edit- i assume this is it then- http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/O...ner-150/170695

says it has history so you would need to look into that.

i think the price is ball park though if history can be proved.
Old 18 April 2017, 23:02   #6

well spotted, trade are telling me 3/4 k
Old 19 April 2017, 07:52   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
It's worth what someone will pay
Presumably if it's done such high hours then it's been used commercially and they will know the importance of oil changes. which essentially is all that could do damage if not done regularly
The add says fully serviced presumably that means it's been maintained just not by a dealer?

On the other hand if the engine has worked regularly for long periods then oil change periods could comfortably be extended as the oil degrades less with regular use and being kept at operating temperature rather than lots of stop starts
Personally I'd rather have a 2016 engine with 850 hours than a 2010 engine with 850 hours
I'm not up on values so can't comment accurately but I certainly wouldn't be put off by 850 hours
You wouldn't think twice about the hours if it was older so why such a big deal because it's newer
Old 19 April 2017, 12:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It's worth what someone will pay
Presumably if it's done such high hours then it's been used commercially and they will know the importance of oil changes. which essentially is all that could do damage if not done regularly
The add says fully serviced presumably that means it's been maintained just not by a dealer?

On the other hand if the engine has worked regularly for long periods then oil change periods could comfortably be extended as the oil degrades less with regular use and being kept at operating temperature rather than lots of stop starts
Personally I'd rather have a 2016 engine with 850 hours than a 2010 engine with 850 hours
I'm not up on values so can't comment accurately but I certainly wouldn't be put off by 850 hours
You wouldn't think twice about the hours if it was older so why such a big deal because it's newer
the biggest issue that would concern me is lots of idle increases the chances of making oil which is the most common thing you see with 4s outboards as a general complaint. at 850 hours you are not fixing that without a tear down. you can only buy it and cross your fingers but that is same with any used engine, but it is a real possibility with usage like this.
Old 19 April 2017, 15:33   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Who says it's done lots of idle? Who's to say what work any engine has done? unless you can interrogate the ecu you will never know
The fact is engines thrive on use far more fail through lack of use than fail through wearing out through being used and maintained properly
I'd agree it needs to be cheaper than a low hours engine but in general an engine that has done the hours quick will be far healthier than one that's done the same hours over several years.

It may also carry the remainder of manufacturer warranty which an older engine won't
Old 19 April 2017, 16:51   #10

i presummed it just like you did that it was a commerical engine, both are very plausible and worth looking into.

if someone has managed 850 hours on the plane in a year in this country then kudos to them and i don't want their fuel bill!

the warranty i don't know but google will tell the OP prior to purchase what to expect. there will likely be a maximum hours so check that out as that is what will be in play here whether commericial warranty or not.

it is also worth checking the warranty conditions have been met as i'm sure this engine needs dealer servicing at some point to keep the warranty regardless. for sure another thing worth looking into though.
Old 19 April 2017, 17:10   #11

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
whats its worth ?

Think Mercury Fourstroke motors carry a 2 year/1000hrs warranty for commercial use in the U.K.
Old 19 April 2017, 19:58   #12

google seems to support what you think it is bud, looks like it is 1+1 for commercial. in USA the +X typically means the warranty is via a 3rd party, i'm not sure what the gig is here with that but should be easy to clarify with a phone call...unless someone else on here knows that this +1 means in UK.

as i've said before, if i was looking for a 150 this is one i'd be after.