Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 10 June 2010, 12:46   #1

Town: Blandford
Boat name: Hypa - Activ
Make: Ribtec 585 (6m versi
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 Yamaha 2 Stroke
What engine should I opt for to replace my stolen 115hp 2 Stroke Yamaha?

I posted earlier in the week to say that my beloved but thirsty Yamaha 2 stroke 115 hp had been nicked, I am now thinking about replacements.

Just to put you in the picture, the boat that the new engine will be fitted to is a 1993 Ribtec 5.85 (actually built as a 6m). Maximum HP rating as stamped on the transom is 120hp.

Any boat with a 4 stroke I have had a ride on, always seem to lack the oomph of a 2 stroke. I like the economy of the 4 stroke, but not the weight and lack lustre performance.

Looking around, I think that the best engine for me could be the 115 High Output Etec from Evinrude. Are these any good? They certainly read well in the brochure, excellent fuel economy, performance, and no servicing for 300 hours.

I am very pro Yamaha, but I don't think they make a 2 stroke 115 anymore, even with HPDI or whatever fancy things they use these days instead of carbs.

I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say on this.

Thanks for reading.

Johnny
Old 10 June 2010, 14:45   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Optimax 115?

We had the 90. It was excellent and the 75/90/115 are all the same block. Nice and quiet, very frugal after the 75 mariner 2 stroke we had before.

Now have 175 opti but it's 2.5l v6. Much more throaty and louder but still good mpg considering speed.
Old 10 June 2010, 18:35   #3

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Rude Buoy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 200
MMSI: 235080555
Hi,I have just repowered to a 200 etech after having my engine stolen and must say it is a fantastic engine and does everything it says in the brochure.I would also recommend Charles from outboards direct,i got a great deal from him

www.outboards-direct.co.uk
Old 11 June 2010, 09:18   #4

Town: Blandford
Boat name: Hypa - Activ
Make: Ribtec 585 (6m versi
Engine: 115 Yamaha 2 Stroke
Thanks for you comments. All much appreciated. I have already spoken with Charles at outboardsdirect, and also Keith at Powertec Marine, both have been very helpful.
Old 16 June 2010, 13:26   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Yam 115 for sale

http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16294
Old 16 June 2010, 13:53   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Have had the 130 e-tec for a while now,plenty of power-decent economy, light weight..loads of torque...love it!
Dont worry too much about power rating,many manufacturers do not re-asses them for years,because of the cost involved to them,things have moved on considerably.Within 'sensible limits' weight, and handling, will be your main concern. As for insurance as long as you are not talking 50 knot plus it wont be an issue.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 14:13   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Have had the 130 e-tec for a while now,plenty of power-decent economy, light weight..loads of torque...love it!
Dont worry too much about power rating,many manufacturers do not re-asses them for years,because of the cost involved to them,things have moved on considerably.Within 'sensible limits' weight, and handling, will be your main concern. As for insurance as long as you are not talking 50 knot plus it wont be an issue.
Maximus - that's a particularly poor post. If he was happy with 115 HP before then there is no reason to overpower the boat. In 17 years Ribtec haven't changed their spec for the transom, but even if they had it wouldn't apply retrospectively. If anything the transom is 17 years old now - and probably less able to take the excess power of a modern (probably heavier) engine than the 2str it had on it when built.

Are you prepared to underwrite his insurance cover (including 2M third party cover) if his insurer refuses to pay out because it is being used outside the manufacturer's recommended range?
Old 16 June 2010, 14:41   #8

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Johnny

I would recommend the Optimax 115. Even though I now have 2 x 250 Verado's, which I love, I still miss the sound of the 3 cyl 2 stroke. Light weight for the power and good fuel economy. Never had a single problem in 4 years of ownership and some 300+ hours.

Steve
Old 16 June 2010, 15:22   #9

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Some idiots even put 150's on their 585's

There are a couple of guys on here with early Ribtec 585's with a max hp of 150 on the plate (which was good enough for me) mine is a 95 I believe and rated to 120 but has had some major strengthening done on the transom as well as having a large A frame being installed for wakeboarding. My previous Rib was the 5.35 which had a 90hp 2 stroke which was a real blast, I felt that engine ( an Evinrude Ocean Pro) was a great match for the boat without overpowering it. Have never experienced Opti's or Etec's but the 5.85 feels a much bigger boat than the 5.35 in both length and width, I'm not sure a 115 would have given me the same performance. I spoke to my insurers about a larger engine than rated for with positive results, perhaps a call to them and if given the thumbs might open up your options to go above the 120 limit.
Old 16 June 2010, 15:52   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=Polwart;357137] Maximus - that's a particularly poor post. If he was happy with 115 HP before then there is no reason to overpower the boat. In 17 years Ribtec haven't changed their spec for the transom, but even if they had it wouldn't apply retrospectively. If anything the transom is 17 years old now - and probably less able to take the excess power of a modern (probably heavier) engine than the 2str it had on it when built.

Are you prepared to underwrite his insurance cover (including 2M third party cover) if his insurer refuses to pay out because it is being used outside the manufacturer's recommended range? [/QUOTEP

Polwart...As said, I have already trod the same path myself..and MADE SURE with my insurance company that it would NOT compromise my cover, and oh yes,including the 2m third party cover! From their perspective it is the speed of the craft which dictated the cover,AND NOT the engine rating. For my length of boat [5.5m] being 50knts.Further more,one of the e-tecs main attraction [being a 2stroke] is their power to weight ratio...AND the weight difference between the 115 and 130 etec is VERY small.Of course one would take for granted the good condition of any transom[and rest of the craft] when offering advice,I was offering personal practical advice from the perspective of someone who has already done it.Surely that is what makes forums like this of some value.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 17:20   #11

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
[QUOTE=Maximus;357160]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Maximus - that's a particularly poor post. If he was happy with 115 HP before then there is no reason to overpower the boat. In 17 years Ribtec haven't changed their spec for the transom, but even if they had it wouldn't apply retrospectively. If anything the transom is 17 years old now - and probably less able to take the excess power of a modern (probably heavier) engine than the 2str it had on it when built.

Are you prepared to underwrite his insurance cover (including 2M third party cover) if his insurer refuses to pay out because it is being used outside the manufacturer's recommended range? [/QUOTEP

Polwart...As said, I have already trod the same path myself..and MADE SURE with my insurance company that it would NOT compromise my cover, and oh yes,including the 2m third party cover! From their perspective it is the speed of the craft which dictated the cover,AND NOT the engine rating. For my length of boat [5.5m] being 50knts.Further more,one of the e-tecs main attraction [being a 2stroke] is their power to weight ratio...AND the weight difference between the 115 and 130 etec is VERY small.Of course one would take for granted the good condition of any transom[and rest of the craft] when offering advice,I was offering personal practical advice from the perspective of someone who has already done it.Surely that is what makes forums like this of some value.
I'm actually with Polwart on this one . I have seen & dealt with cases where insurers 'knew' all about the bigger engine , but due to a boat being swamped & the engine being more KGs than the manufactrers max they refused to pay .......

Personal choice I suppose ?
Old 16 June 2010, 22:28   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
The Etec 115 HO is the same weight as the 130 (and only 10KG more than the 115) the HO will kick out about 120-125HP. I really would not worry about fitting the 115HO to your 6 meter.

Yamaha V4 2 stroke 170Kgs
Etec 115HO 177Kgs

Its a superb engine and one of the best in the range IMO.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2010, 07:26   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The Etec 115 HO is the same weight as the 130 (and only 10KG more than the 115) the HO will kick out about 120-125HP.
that doesn't make sense to me. Surely then Etec would market it as a 120/125. I thought the HO range still put out the same HP but with more torque, and possible a different gearbox?
Old 17 June 2010, 07:42   #14

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
that doesn't make sense to me. Surely then Etec would market it as a 120/125. I thought the HO range still put out the same HP but with more torque, and possible a different gearbox?
You obviously don't understand their marketing strategy then. The HO's reputedly have in the region of 10% more than their stated HP.
Old 17 June 2010, 08:21   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
You obviously don't understand their marketing strategy then. The HO's reputedly have in the region of 10% more than their stated HP.
You may be right - either that or I understand it completely and this is what they "want you to believe". I can't see any obvious claims of 10% more power on the Etec website. If its true then they'd presumably be making such claims, instead they seem (either by accident or design) to have generated the "reputation" that they are 10% more powerful.

In fact their website doesn't seem to explain the difference between the engines at all other than being "tuned" and having a better gearbox.
Old 17 June 2010, 18:31   #16

Quote:
You may be right - either that or I understand it completely and this is what they "want you to believe". I can't see any obvious claims of 10% more power on the Etec website. If its true then they'd presumably be making such claims, instead they seem (either by accident or design) to have generated the "reputation" that they are 10% more powerful.

In fact their website doesn't seem to explain the difference between the engines at all other than being "tuned" and having a better gearbox.
Not may, I am right, just get over it

Born fiddler
Old 17 June 2010, 19:03   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not may, I am right, just get over it
So you have something to backup your claim? like an independent test report showing dyno readings? or even an official statement from Evinrude? or do you believe everything you hear?
Old 17 June 2010, 19:24   #18

Quote:
So you have something to backup your claim? like an independent test report showing dyno readings? or even an official statement from Evinrude? or do you believe everything you hear?
I do believe what I hear when I hear it from people who know what they are talking about.

Born fiddler
Old 17 June 2010, 19:30   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
or do you believe everything you hear?
Regrettably, the bollix is generally correctly informed...
Old 17 June 2010, 20:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Regrettably, the bollix is generally correctly informed...

Born fiddler