Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 January 2003, 09:06   #1

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Volvo engines (For Crazyhorse)

Posting this here 'cos Crazyhorse's cabin rib thread has degenerated into name calling between the hardboat lot?

I believe the amazing aluminium cabin rib from Vancouver is being fitted with a Volvo Kad 300 DP? Mentioned that there had been a lot of negative comment on Volvo engines generally over the past several months on the mby forums. Well I did recall someone setting up a Volvo Penta users group forum and I have managed to track down the URL & offer it for you interest and edification!

http://www.arweb.co.uk/volpen/usergroup/
Old 26 January 2003, 09:19   #2

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Volvo

Yes there was alot of resentment aout Volvo on MBY and I have to confess to add to that after being the victim of an Hydraulic lock which bent my con rod enuf to let it still work efficiently as far as power was concerened but the cooling jet got broken so on my longer journeys to France etc the piston was overheating and fragments were breaking off and being released around the engine.

It eventually gave up the ghost 8 months later and ensued in a terrible row with Volvo.

All is sorted now and I am back up and running.

So yes at the time I wasnt the biggest fan but every engine manufacturer has its faults.

Dom
Old 26 January 2003, 09:33   #3

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Alan,
I'm not sure the "namecalling" was between the hardboat lot!
Old 26 January 2003, 09:52   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Give it a rest, Jon Fuller. Alan has started a new thread in the hope that people will stick to the topic.

We had our fair share of 'nightmares' with Volvo's as well. Our Fairline Targa developed a problem, the symptons being loss of power. Well, it took them almost a year to sort it out. All they had to do was replace the ECM, (Electronic Control Module) the brains really. These little buggers cost £1,400.00 - no wonder they were loathe to replace it, but eventually did under warranty and problem solved. The anxiety and all that comes with an unreliable engine is too much to bear, particularly as the boat was for sale and we could not comfortably take prospective buyers out in case the problem re-surfaced as it was intermittent.
Old 26 January 2003, 09:58   #5

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Sorry Charles, but the statement was inaccurate!
Old 26 January 2003, 10:29   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Just bought a KAD300/DPX

Now ya tell me.

Thanks, Alan, for the link.
JW
Old 26 January 2003, 11:25   #7

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Volvo's

Here is some positive feedback on a volvo
I have a KAD44 which is used commercially - has 1800 hours on it in 3 years - only problem being an alternator fault - used every day in the summer 6 hours a day - still fine - and to make you Bravo legs boys sad STILL THE ORIGINAL LEG.
Also a KAD 32 - 1 year old 500 hours - no problems at all.

Given the choice i would buy both again, and think there is no other choice to go for.

Pete F
Old 26 January 2003, 11:34   #8

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
eee you have all woken me up on a Sunday? Will get back shortley when I have prioritised my responces.
Old 26 January 2003, 12:43   #9

Thanks Alan for your help and it is appreciated,Forgive me for my exitement but I cant find any problems with the Volvo Kad 3oo/Dpg drive as yet.

This is the second time I have had a good luck and cant find anything that relates to that engine or there new drive system and emerging problems?.

Im of the frame of mind that the Volvo Kad 300/dpg is a good unit as they have had the time to make any changes they my of needed to make,based on the past experience of other engine Manufacturers.So I hope thats what they have done.

Thanks for Your Posts And if Mr Walker can throw some light on the subject then I will be interested,as it seems this new imformation and says,Now you Tell me? What do you mean? I cant understand what your have been told? as I havnt found anything that points to there being problems?, Please enlighten me if I have missed something out here?.
Old 26 January 2003, 12:50   #10

I think you have bought a New DPG drive not a DPX drive?

And your comments are appreciated.

Wait till you see my Baby,I will be busy then for sure I think?
Old 26 January 2003, 14:44   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Crazyhorse,

Think I said before that have no specific bad reviews of KAD300's in mind it was the general feeling on Volvo's that I thought you might be interested in. I have no axe to grind one way or the other! One thing I do have strong feelings about is engine/drive combo's that are reliable. Here I think Volvo Penta score highly.

Posted the link to the users group in the spirit of being helpful.
Nothing more!

Alan
Old 26 January 2003, 14:54   #12

Alan I thank you for your help it didnt even enter my head you had any othere reason to post it.

It looks like at this moment Im in with a chance with the Kad 300,but we will see,I will post any problems i have on this thread.

At the moment I can tell you of a problem and that I have at the moment, is my engines should of arrived on friday, and I have had no responce from anybody to confirm all the 30k of kit has been delivered ok and hasnt gone walkabout.

So lets hope my testing doesnt end there.

Thats just one of the tiny problems with dealing over 7000 miles away to achieve your ultimate rib.
Old 26 January 2003, 17:14   #13

Volvos in general or in a RIB??

Everyone seems to be going on about Volvos - not generally in a RIB - which is surely what is asked for on this forum??

There are lots of views on how they perform in a Fairline and all that, but surely they get a different life in a RIB?? which is what should be talked about? - Everyone has their hassles with an engine in general - be it 4/2 stroke/diesel - whatever............but this is about the best hassle free engine out there?

Alan says Volvo's score highly on the list, and i agree, why does'nt everyone post their views on how they are getting on with a Volvo, if they have one, and take it from there?
Admitadly the service backup is fairly Pish,,, but this should not reflect on the engine itself.

Cat among it and all that........

Pete F
Old 26 January 2003, 18:47   #14

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Could not agree more Pete. The problem is that when you decide on your engine, one of the first things you should endeavour to address (quite seriously) is the warranty and backup you would attract to your chosen power-house. Obviously the same applies to engine's out of the warranty period.

Who will look after it, are parts readily available etc, etc.
My experience with Volvo Penta, irrespective of what craft it is fitted to, is pathetic to say the least. We all have our horror stories, but over here the really sour taste Volvo has left in people's mouths across the board is appalling. Fortunately the KAD's are superb engine's, but pray nothing goes wrong.

Lion amongst the Springboks and all that!
Old 26 January 2003, 18:51   #15

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Probably not that relevant, but when I sold my Sunseeker 3 years ago it had 1400 hrs on it, and its still going strong having never missed a beat. It was fitted with a pair of AQ41's, and it had only ever had service items replaced and a stern drive repair due to hitting a log. I always found the servicing and backup from the dealer network to be first rate, although a little pricey. But then no one ever said boating was cheap!
Old 26 January 2003, 19:01   #16

Well so far so good,I bought the engine from Volspec and they gave great service.It was the engine that appered at the southampton Boatshow this yr.

They even lobbed in a prop and packed it up for export,and sorted all the paper work out.

So far I can say they have been brilliant.The standard of service your getting maybe down to the dealer and his attitudes.

We will see how she performs,we have to take speciel interest in the engine bay,so this is class 1 watertight.

As a matter of interest we have a log kicker on the bottom of the hull as in Canada they hit them for fun.

As its a rib and may get a little damp? at times.
Old 26 January 2003, 21:08   #17

You are bit presumtuous Crazyhorse.

Nope, not a DPG. A DPX it is.
JW.
Old 26 January 2003, 21:39   #18

Think I said before that have no specific bad reviews of KAD300's in mind

The KAD 300 is the same block, but uprated and all that, as the KAD44 so cannot see you having trouble with the engine, as they are proven with time - unsure about the leg, simply because i know squat about it, but given my experience will be fine and will serve you well.
Engine does get a bit more 'abuse' in a RIB, but you just have to spend more time looking after it - duck oil and a toothbrush is quite a good piece of service equipment.

Pete F
Old 26 January 2003, 22:28   #19

Thanks Seafryskye and Mr walker,

We were in your neck of the woods for New yr stayed in Gigha we go every yr and sort out the following yrs plans.
Its a beutiful place and we both love it.On with Engines

Mr walker I didnt know they did a Kad 300 with a DpX drive as the latest Drive is a DPG drive,Was the DPX drive the one they put on ealier kad 300 engins?.Sorry for being so presumptius but you did say you had just bought it and in the U.K The kad 300 engine/Stern drive packige is supplied with there new dpg leg/drive?

If it indeed has the dpx drive it will be interesting to see how she does with the torque from the Kad 300.
Its an easy mistake to make as I am told bye our builders that they thought we had a DPX drive to,So if you can let me know for sure, I will not make that mistake again infact I may have a DPX drive,but it doesnt say that on my invoice or the drive.

Old 27 January 2003, 17:10   #20

Crazyhorse

You are tenacious. The drive is a DPX. High speed, sturdy, hydraulic steering by external rams, big wide gearcase, uses E series propellors. The KAD300 can now be supplied with this drive as an alternative to the DPG. Volvo tell me that, for speeds in excess of 42knots, they run out of suitable propellors for the DPG drives.
Are you happy now?
JW.