Click Here to Login

Old 06 June 2004, 06:40   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Volvo D6 - maybe not (see second posting)

A new RIB for 2005 is looking increasingly likely!

I went to RIBEX yesterday and briefly caught up with the odd RIBnet person - and a few "normal" ones!

I am particularly interested in the 8.5m Scorpion but I was a little disturbed to hear a generally well-imformed person's current thinking on the above engine. Your views would be greatly appreciated.

I was told that the D6 is a lot more expensive than the Yanmar and has too low a power to weight ratio. Also that although an upgrade to 350hp is expected in the Autumn but this too would be insufficient to redress the situation. The impression was that Yanmars are wonderful (this is my interpretation, at least).

In view of the problems with the Bravo 3 drive (I don't know if these persist with the uprated one) and the stories of the block (or is it the head?) cracking on Yanmars, I am beginning to wonder if my source has an axe to grind?

Does anyone have experience of the D6? What do you think?
Is the 350hp more than a rumour? Is 400hp scheduled (which would presumably resolve the power to weight issue) - when? Is it generally quieter than the Yanmar 315hp? Does it have better acceleration? Is it really much more expensive than the Yanmar?

Should I forget about diesel altogether and go for a Yamaha 300 HPDI or a Mercury Vorado 275?

Thank you for your views!

Chris

P.S. One boat came over from Holland for the show, using a D6 (might have been 2 engines) - no problems.
Old 06 June 2004, 18:38   #2

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Forget the diesel ...

I went back to the show today and tried a Scorpion 8.1 with a 225 Optimax outboard. The performance was excellent, although the engine was quite a lot noisier than the diesel.

Acceleration and top speed were much better (albeit on a slightly smaller boat) than the 315hp diesel on the 8.5.

I am convinced! I shall go for a petrol outboard. The two main contenders at the moment are the Yamaha 300 HPDI and the Mercury Verado 275. Do you have any thoughts about these?

I hope to take delivery next Spring, which should give time for proper comparisons between both of these relatively new engines. Perhaps some of our US-based RIBsters might have got their hands on a Verado by now?

Thanks!

Chris.
Old 06 June 2004, 21:13   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The D6 is a hugely heavy engine, and at 750Kg weighs half as much again than the Yanmar for the same horse power! You could fit twin Volvo D3-160s and still save on weight! I think it's unlikely to be a popular choice for RIBs. Anyway, you seem fairly definite on an outboard now anyway . . .

The Yamaha 300 is available now (I think), but the Verado isn't yet. There have been various dates suggested, but as yet we don't know when we'll get Verados in the UK. It may depend on how demand goes in the US as I suspect they will get priority.

John