Old 27 May 2005, 17:31   #1

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Volvo D3 - Jumping In to Hop Home Mode

About 1 year ago I purchased a 6.5m Pro Sport Rib with D3 130hp Volvo.

Time went on and we had a few teething problems, however a major problem occurred, the engine kept restricting itself to 1500rpm (Hop Home Mode). After various trips to the Volvo Dealer (Who Were very Helpful), several phone calls to Volvo (who didn't know allot about the engine) & 70 od days of down time. Volvo replaced the engine, several weeks later a bill lands on the door step for work not covered under warranty, a loom, ecu, and a few other bits that ad up to over £2000.

Volvo are saying that the problems are my fault because the loom and ecu started to corrode.

I have received many phone calls from D3 Owners who have had the same problems. I would like anyone who has had problems with D3’s to post here.
Old 27 May 2005, 19:42   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
.... because the loom and ecu started to corrode.
Jono, did they start to corrode?
Old 20 June 2005, 21:20   #3

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
About 1 year ago I purchased a 6.5m Pro Sport Rib with D3 130hp Volvo.

Time went on and we had a few teething problems, however a major problem occurred, the engine kept restricting itself to 1500rpm (Hop Home Mode). After various trips to the Volvo Dealer (Who Were very Helpful), several phone calls to Volvo (who didn't know allot about the engine) & 70 od days of down time. Volvo replaced the engine, several weeks later a bill lands on the door step for work not covered under warranty, a loom, ecu, and a few other bits that ad up to over £2000.

Volvo are saying that the problems are my fault because the loom and ecu started to corrode.

I have received many phone calls from D3 Owners who have had the same problems. I would like anyone who has had problems with D3’s to post here.
I had aproblem with my D3 when it was about 18hrs (useage) old. After some investigation from Ribcraft and the local volvo dealer, the problem was traced to a blockage in the fuel supply, most probably caused by crud in the fuel. This blockage was causing air to be drawn into the fuel line (apparently down to the strength of the fuel pumps on these engines) through the water separator. The pressure sensors on the common rail then found a fault and went into limp home mode. The air ingress through the water separator has now been sorted and i'm regularly using soltron to stop crud also. (I have my suspicions where the crap fuel came from and it's not my local marina )

I can honestly say both the local volvo dealer and ribcraft were very good at getting this sorted asap, and all is ship shape again
Old 20 June 2005, 21:44   #4

Town: Brighton
Boat name: India-Five
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo D3-160 SX
How many hours have you run so far Colin?
Old 20 June 2005, 22:51   #5

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by India 5
How many hours have you run so far Colin?
i think it's around 60hrs now, we went to the solent and back sat/sun and i know it was just over 50 before we left.
Old 21 June 2005, 10:28   #6

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:

Why is it your fault?? surely they have supplied something that is not fit for the purpose, ie to be used in a marine environment. I think I would be sending them a bill for 70 days loss of business say £500 a day £35000. might jog somebody into commonsense mode.
Old 21 June 2005, 20:54   #7

Town: Brighton
Boat name: India-Five
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo D3-160 SX
Colin, if you get a chance could you post a picture of your engine bay. Would be interested to see where the various bits are located, mainly interested in the black ECU box.

Cheers

Will