Old 17 July 2010, 20:17   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Volcano outboard locks

Please note I have NO conection with this company

I purchased 4 of these locks in an attempt to deter scum bags from easily getting the engines. After 7 months on the boat I just wanted to report what great locks they are.
Two of the locks are in the splash well and get immersed maybe 3 times daily in sea water (backing out of a cave on our tour). If they are lucky, they may get a quick hose down with fresh water at the end of the day.
The only true maintainance I do on them, is to remove them every couple of months (should be monthly, but I forget), give them a good & liberal spray of WD40 and put them back on.
There has been absolutely no deterioration of the locks or lock barrels. To say I am impressed would be an under statement.
We seem very quick to let others know when we get a poor service or product, so I thought I would give some praise where it is due.

Steve
Old 19 July 2010, 19:46   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Please note I have NO conection with this company

I purchased 4 of these locks in an attempt to deter scum bags from easily getting the engines. After 7 months on the boat I just wanted to report what great locks they are.
Two of the locks are in the splash well and get immersed maybe 3 times daily in sea water (backing out of a cave on our tour). If they are lucky, they may get a quick hose down with fresh water at the end of the day.
The only true maintainance I do on them, is to remove them every couple of months (should be monthly, but I forget), give them a good & liberal spray of WD40 and put them back on.
There has been absolutely no deterioration of the locks or lock barrels. To say I am impressed would be an under statement.
We seem very quick to let others know when we get a poor service or product, so I thought I would give some praise where it is due.

Steve
I have these locks on mine but was told at time of purchase by the previous owner that they could not be removed and had to be drilled out to access the keyhole? I have not tried to fiddle or remove them but I would have thought that it would make sense to lube them up each month if this was possible? What is the proceedure for removing them therefore?
Old 19 July 2010, 20:08   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
I have these locks on mine but was told at time of purchase by the previous owner that they could not be removed and had to be drilled out to access the keyhole?
He told you that 'cos he'd lost the key
Old 19 July 2010, 20:12   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
He told you that 'cos he'd lost the key

Nah, I'm pretty sure I've gottem But still that shouldn't stop it being possible to take the cap off and grease underneath should it?

Edit: Yup Just found the keys, trusting that the ones labelled "Outboard Locks" are the ones
Old 19 July 2010, 21:18   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Nah, I'm pretty sure I've gottem But still that shouldn't stop it being possible to take the cap off and grease underneath should it?

Edit: Yup Just found the keys, trusting that the ones labelled "Outboard Locks" are the ones
But it might not help once they get salt in em , which for a transom lock is hardly unsurprising.. they can be a bit naughty .. phone JW for his grinder if in doubt
Old 19 July 2010, 21:55   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Ive got this lock and it siezed up first season of use, even when it was well greased. Now the barrell is corroded solid...Only way i can remove it is with the grinder. No prob tho coz I dont need to remove it. Its been on the boat since first fit out in 2007
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2010, 22:10   #7

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda BF30
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13907/...M10-Pack-of-10

Pack of ten for 9 quid, if you're going to have to cut the lock off with a grinder when it's seized, better just design it that way in the first place. Anyone wanting my engine has to cut four off (or leave the bracket behind.)

free
Old 20 July 2010, 11:24   #8

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
I have these locks on mine but was told at time of purchase by the previous owner that they could not be removed and had to be drilled out to access the keyhole? I have not tried to fiddle or remove them but I would have thought that it would make sense to lube them up each month if this was possible? What is the proceedure for removing them therefore?
The locks come supplied with steel caps to go over lock barrels. I was also advised to put self amagamating tape over the joins. Having thought about, I elected to not fit the caps or seal the joints, i figured that if they had come armed with kit to drill the locks, the same would drill through the cap! This means that routine maintainance is simple. So far it seems to have worked.
Old 20 July 2010, 13:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
Anyone wanting my engine has to cut four off (or leave the bracket behind.)
Sadly ... they have other methods .. which do not require any engineering knowledge or skill ..
Old 20 July 2010, 21:04   #10

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Engine: Honda BF30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Sadly ... they have other methods .. which do not require any engineering knowledge or skill ..
Not another use for a mini digger?

free
Old 20 July 2010, 21:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
Not another use for a mini digger?

free
No its your arboriculturist you'll want to speak to .. they seem eqipped with the appropriate weaponry and no spanners or keys or drills in sight
Old 20 July 2010, 23:59   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
No its your arboriculturist you'll want to speak to .. they seem eqipped with the appropriate weaponry and no spanners or keys or drills in sight
Not exactly discreet, but those thieving bastuds don't seem bothered.
Old 21 July 2010, 10:55   #13

it has been known up here (i assume anywhere) for chainsaws to be used to just cut the engine off. i even heard of someone doing it and stealing a bravo leg from the back of a boat.........that was on its mooring!....total scum bags.

cheers