Old 12 September 2004, 11:18   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Very old engine is hard to start

I've got an old 1978 Evinrude 25hp eninge which has been sitting outside the shed for a few months now, so I have decided to sell it on ebay.

Anyway, put it in the wheely bin the other day to make sure it still worked, and guess what, it didn't!

First I thought it was a flat battery - starter motor found it very diffecult to turn the flywheel. So, I charged the battery up, and still had the same trouble. Took the plugs out - they were rather dirty so cleaned them up and put them in the oven for a little while. Put them back in the engine and same problem.

Took the plugs out and tried the starter again - worked fine without the plugs in. Tried with one plug at a time and it starts and runs fine.

Having run it for little-while on each cyclinder, I put both plugs back in. This time is started, although it did stuggle to start - again the motor found it very hard to turn. Ran it for a little while, and stopped it. Then tired to start it again, and it wouln't start.

Having tried for the last hour or so to get it going again I have only managed to do so once (to have it stall on me cos it had run out of petrol ).

I have no idea what to do now, and was hoping some clever person on here would! Any ideas??
Old 12 September 2004, 12:28   #2

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
A few things spring to mind, engine may be tight, bad conection on starter circuit not letting it crank fast enough, are you sure the batt is up to the job, if it starts on one cly it should start on two if it cranks fast and is not getting a volt drop due poor starter system.

Nick in cheshire.
Old 12 September 2004, 12:32   #3

Thanks Nick.

I'm pretty sure the battery is up to the job; I use it all the time to start my other outboard. I've also tried jump-starting it using two different cars and I still get the same result.

When you say "engine might be tight" what do you mean?

Tim
Old 12 September 2004, 12:36   #4

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
When I say tight I mean binding due lack of use, whats it like to turn over by hand at the flywheel, you should be able to tell if it feels tight like that.

Nick.
Old 12 September 2004, 12:44   #5

It is quite hard to turn, saying that, no more so then my other two engines which are used all the time!

If it were "tight" what would be the remedy?
Old 12 September 2004, 13:11   #6

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
If it hasn't been used for a while, and somehow corrosion might have gotten into the piston rings, they could be causing quite a bit of friction, are you sure you have the right fuel mixture? perhaps try to squirt some oil (with oil i mean creep oil, NON abrasive, and nothing like WD40 (it removes oil)) directly into the cylinder through the sparkplug hole, and then attempt to turn it over with spark plugs removed...

all it needs is probably a bit of lubrication

p.s. is this the engine you were trying to sell me?!

Cheers,
Daniel.
Old 12 September 2004, 13:18   #7

Mr-D this is the engine I was trying to sell you (I thought it worked!!)

The fuel mixture is fine. I don't think theres any corrosion; without the plugs (or even one plug!) is starts fine, but with two, it struggles (and doesn't start).

Someone has mentioned "compression" to me. I have noooo idea what compression is. But, could the compression by wrong/not right?
Old 12 September 2004, 14:31   #8

Compression is the pressure that the cylinder builds up when it compresses the fuel/air for ignition, you can get adapters that screw into the sparkplug hole and you then crank the engine to TDC (top dead center) and see how much it is, both of them should be close to eachother, i think it is 25PSI within eachother (not sure about this, Tue is the one to ask i think!)

I think it would be weird that the compression has increased and therefor the starter motor cant turn it fast enough.... compression is something that is always lost due to leaks, but never gained...

Did you try to stuff a few drops of oil down the sparkplug hole to free up the piston rings? I had some problems with mine after cleaning it with degreaser, and just stuck 3in1 oil in it, and it turns over like a beauty again (except the fact that it does not run, due to coils being broken.. still waiting for new ones *sigh*)

I have the Seloc Manual.. i can have a look in there if i can find it...
let me know if you want me to.
Old 12 September 2004, 14:33   #9

I've got a manual for it, although nothing in the troubleshooter section seems to work/make sence.

I'll go and try the oil thing now....
Old 12 September 2004, 14:36   #10

Do you have the Seloc? or just the normal one? Most of the manuals say "please bring to your nearest dealer for inspection so we can rip you off even more for spare parts."
The Seloc one is a DIY thing, and actually explains EVERYTHING.
Remember with the oil, only a few drops... dont hose it in there... to much oil will burn up and cause carbon deposit (as well as a smoky backyard!)

Okay, only page i could find on it (and there's a tiny bit on the next page, but its about electrics...)
Seloc
Old 12 September 2004, 15:14   #11

Mines a Clymer.

Tried the oil thing - no luck. However, I did get it going!!(and solved the problem). Turns out the set of jump-leads I was using to connect it to the battery wern't up to the job. A quick clean up of the clamps soon saw the engine bursting into life! I didn't think that oil etc on the clamps would cause such a problem. But, you live and learn.

Now I have a perfectly useable 25hp outboard which can be found on ebay for a very modest price
Old 12 September 2004, 15:19   #12

Only downside is, you live on the other side of this country, and i dont have any money

I'd have it.... but no cash, and to far away, and i dont like White outboards!
Old 12 September 2004, 15:23   #13

It's blue actually
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	8140  
Old 12 September 2004, 15:26   #14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...489165212&rd=1

Looks Very white to me! and grey for the leg.... however No prop, no tillar/remote/steering.. You do know that you can ask a whole load of money for a thing like that, in working state? i think you are getting rid of it to cheaply