Old 30 May 2010, 18:42   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Verado HELP please

As most will know, I am running twin 250 Verado's on a Parker Baltic.

Today was a fabulous day for business with full boats on our trips. Just as I was thinking that this was the turn around in fortunes that I desperately need, I get a call from the crew telling me that one of the engines keeps going into Safe Mode.

The skipper excellently managed to keep this issue well hidden from the customers and in challenging conditions completed the tour and got safely back.

At anything above 2000 rpm, the engine shakes llike it is on 5 cylinders and the smartcraft gives a warning about the fuel pump.

It being a Bank Holiday, I really cant afford to loose a days business, does anyone have thoughts on what this might be or know anyone who would be available tomorrow to trouble shoot?

Yours desperately Steve
Old 31 May 2010, 08:57   #2

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
As most will know, I am running twin 250 Verado's on a Parker Baltic.

Today was a fabulous day for business with full boats on our trips. Just as I was thinking that this was the turn around in fortunes that I desperately need, I get a call from the crew telling me that one of the engines keeps going into Safe Mode.

The skipper excellently managed to keep this issue well hidden from the customers and in challenging conditions completed the tour and got safely back.

At anything above 2000 rpm, the engine shakes llike it is on 5 cylinders and the smartcraft gives a warning about the fuel pump.

It being a Bank Holiday, I really cant afford to loose a days business, does anyone have thoughts on what this might be or know anyone who would be available tomorrow to trouble shoot?

Yours desperately Steve
Sent you a PM!
Old 31 May 2010, 15:47   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
All sorted?
Old 31 May 2010, 17:15   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Steve - all I can do is cross fingers its a simple diagnosis & fix. Are you a commercial seastart member ?

Potentially an option for expertise on the end of the phone 24/7 & someone to come out to have a look ? Thats about the only thing I can suggest to help.

Pete
Old 31 May 2010, 21:10   #5

Thanks Guys for info and support, as the pictures might show, on Friday I was unknowingly given 300lts of crap fuel, from a tank that had not been used for a year!!
When I stripped down the fuel filters, this is what I got out.
After much phoning around, the only person that would help was yet again RIBS Marine in Christurch who came in specially to get me the 4 filters. A drive over and we were on the water again by 1200. Then had four trips out with nearly full boat.
The positive outcome was the filters did there job and protected the fuel pump. Needless to say I am talking to the supplier of the fuel for compensation.
Steve
PS try to guess which are the old filter & new filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3698.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	51513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3702.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	51514  
Old 31 May 2010, 21:30   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yucky

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 21:30   #7
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
on Friday I was unknowingly given 300lts of crap fuel, from a tank that had not been used for a year!!
Wasn't one of the 3 main suppliers in Poole was it?
Old 31 May 2010, 21:37   #8

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Glad you found the problem. Do you filter the fuel as it enters the tank?
Old 31 May 2010, 21:49   #9

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Name and shame Steve. Don't want anyone else going to get their fuel from such sources. I guess you'll have to remove and replace the new filters as soon as you've used up the remainder of the tank. Get a spare set of filters just in case this happens again.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2010, 22:46   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Name and shame Steve. Don't want anyone else going to get their fuel from such sources. I guess you'll have to remove and replace the new filters as soon as you've used up the remainder of the tank. Get a spare set of filters just in case this happens again.
Yeah, please do even if it's by PM. I don't really want to get caught out by them-Poole is a regular haunt of mine.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2010, 07:31   #11

Yes it was from Poole & no they will not be using that tank again. They did me a "favour" using it, as they were out of fuel in the main tank!

I will be changing the filters on Wednesday and again on Saturday, by which time we should have filled the tanks a couple of times and therefore flushed through.

I am having additional filters fitted in the bilge to trap any contamination before it gets to the engine filters and am also going to carry additional engine filters.
Old 01 June 2010, 07:57   #12

I'm relieved for you, but I am sure not as relieved as you! A simple fix and great that Simon got the bits needed, it gives me more confidence to let him look after mine.
I'd be having words with the supplier to pay for the parts, time and loss of earnings. Nicely at first then talking to thier liability insurers if they dont sort you out !
Old 01 June 2010, 15:02   #13

Question?

Should I report this to the MAIB? As a commercial operator, had we lost the other engine, we would have had 14 people on the rocks and a destroyed vessel.

Steve
Old 01 June 2010, 15:08   #14
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Question?

Should I report this to the MAIB? As a commercial operator, had we lost the other engine, we would have had 14 people on the rocks and a destroyed vessel.

Steve
Steve , not unless someone knows to the contrary, this was not a near miss, would be similar to my engine failing, throwing anchor down and sorting problem before returning to base. Thie site states "To fulfil its primary role of improving safety of life at sea, it is essential that the MAIB investigates accidents immediately, before vital evidence decays, is removed or is lost.Having reported the accident by telephone, a completed incident report form should be emailed or faxed to +44 23 8023 2459 as soon as possible.

Serious injuries, those resulting in incapacitation for longer than three days that are not major injuries, must be investigated by the vessel’s master and owners. The findings of this investigation must then be reported to the MAIB within 14 days, using the incident report form.

The law does not require hazardous incidents to be reported. However, the MAIB encourages owners, masters and skippers to report them using the incident report form or the dedicated reporting line. Hazardous incidents often teach us lessons that are every bit as relevant as those arising from accidents."
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...GN%20289_1.pdf

I would record it in incident book for your own records and how the matter was dealt with along with final resolution.
Hope that helps
Old 01 June 2010, 15:35   #15

I'd say a resounding yes ! If it were aircraft fuel problem the CAA would be all over it. I'd expect the same principles apply to your situation.

From the MAIB notes ;

22. Although there is no requirement to report hazardous incidents, the MAIB strongly urges anyperson to do so voluntarily, since useful lessons can always be learned. Examples are “nearmisses”,including failure of procedures in shipboard operations, material defects, fatigue, and human failures. The critical question in deciding whether or not to report an incident is whether
it had the potential to lead to an accident
. These reports should also be sent using an IRF, or if preferred, in narrative form. Many incidents occur which do not cause injury or damage, but have the potential to be hazardous or to have serious consequences.23. When making reports, whether on an IRF or in narrative, the content of the descriptive text is particularly important. Lessons can be learned from the positive as well as negative aspects.Details of actions taken to minimise the effects of the accident or, in the case of a hazardous incident, to prevent it developing into an accident, are particularly helpful. A description of
actions taken or recommendations made to prevent a recurrence are also of value.
Much is gained from the information provided by those most closely involved in the event at the time it occurred.

As you say you could have been in big trouble (as could have any number of single engined boats with people on board- ie the like of me....) due to some kind of procedure failiure at the pumps. I'd expect the supplier (whoever they maybe) to be considering reporting it themselves and inviting feedback to understand how/ why it happened and what needs to be done to stop it happening again.

The views and considerations of your skipper I feel would be invaluable to the MAIB tounderstand how he considered the risk of the second engine failing considering position, how what or if he told the passangers etc.
Old 01 June 2010, 16:02   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
"no requirement to report hazardous incidents, the MAIB strongly urges anyperson"

I read and accept this and can see the other view, I would expect several views and can see the advantage to a phone call to seek advice but on what is given I still dont see you need to report. Open to being knocked down though
Old 01 June 2010, 16:13   #17

I can see both sides , but my feeling is not based on any kind of blame scanrio, just one of being 100% transparant to all parties and avoiding recurrance/ risk.

There is also the consideration of knowing if there are/were any others with potential problems sloshing around the tanks - The MAIB may see a pattern or not in what would seem to be a silent & invisible problem until it presents itself.

Consider if another RIB is bouncing around with this in the tank - the worst happens and it hs not been reported ?

The only question that will be asked is ...Why wasn't it reported ?
Old 01 June 2010, 19:09   #18

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
No harm in giving them a ring.
I'd personally report it.
Old 01 June 2010, 19:29   #19

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
250K, if you can tell me I would also like to know where the fuel came from please, (via pm).

I wouldn't want to fuel there on the way to or from Weymouth, even worse if someone was making a channel crossing.
Old 01 June 2010, 20:43   #20
RIBnet Supporter

250kts - I think I'd settle for my filter/mech costs and, um, a gratis tank of fuel. And you have a big tank, which would be well empty...

And I'd keep Stum, 'cos they've learnt their lesson and there's no ongoing risk to the public