Old 13 October 2009, 08:42   #41

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post

When the Multiair petrol engines come out later this year, this new technology will give a 10% reduction in all emissions, a 10% increase in power and a 15% increase in torque. When Multiair diesel engines appear later they will enable them to satisfy Euro 6 standards without the need for any additional treatment such as AdBlue.
OK what are these new Multiair engines and what is AdBlue?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 11:55   #42

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
what is AdBlue?
...You taking the piss?
Old 13 October 2009, 12:09   #43

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
...You taking the piss?
Yes it is indeed!!!
Old 13 October 2009, 20:22   #44

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Adblue a type of STP thing
I have a warehouse next to the post office sorting centre and they have a pump, on site.
Old 13 October 2009, 20:32   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Thats interesting..Last time we did a UK trip we had the verado 300 on the back. It was f4+ we used 110ltrs from Guernsey to Warsash = £79.00 in Guernsey money
We went on the rib net trip to alderney this year fog out bound and we where slow on the way back fuel worked out at 1.25 lts a miles
it was flat seas

when we went to Gurnsey it was choppy leaving the neddles and it just got worse the race lived upto it reputation all throttle work and cavatation
we went though the russells big and little and i remember it being hugh rolling seas
Old 13 October 2009, 21:18   #46

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
Quote:
Multiair will shortly be available in Petrol engines in FIATs, Alfas and Lancias. It is a method of operating inlet and exhaust valves by means of air forced in by solenoids. It gives an almost infinitely variable control over valve actuation far beyond that which is available by means such as Honda's VTEC. Among other things, it prevents in-cylinder pressure going back out of an inlet valve because it's open longer than is absolutely necessary.

It's far more finely adjustable than other systems. I think it may even (possibly) be capable of reacting to an increase or decrease in resistance to the prop. But then that's only a theory. I may not have worded that last bit correctly.

AdBlue of course is a fuel additive, one of the components being Urea, which is made from pig's urine (I believe) and is used to reduce pollution.

The diesel application could well be of interest in the future for boaters as it would allow an increase in power and torque as well as reducing emissions. I can see recreational boaters coming under increasing scrutiny from those who wish to make for cleaner air and water.
Old 13 October 2009, 21:29   #47

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
AdBlue of course is a fuel additive, one of the components being Urea, which is made from pig's urine (I believe) and is used to reduce pollution.
So,you're saying:
'Pigs' Piss Prevents Pollution'
Old 14 October 2009, 08:54   #48
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Multiair will shortly be available in Petrol engines in FIATs, Alfas and Lancias. It is a method of operating inlet and exhaust valves by means of air forced in by solenoids. It gives an almost infinitely variable control over valve actuation far beyond that which is available by means such as Honda's VTEC. Among other things, it prevents in-cylinder pressure going back out of an inlet valve because it's open longer than is absolutely necessary.

It's far more finely adjustable than other systems. I think it may even (possibly) be capable of reacting to an increase or decrease in resistance to the prop. But then that's only a theory. I may not have worded that last bit correctly.
Seen this on an F1 development engine, they had no camshaft, valves operated via pneumatic solenoids 100% control
Old 15 October 2009, 20:46   #49

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Engine: Yamaha F300
Looks like the Turbo-Diesel Outboard does exist! Doesnt sound too sexy tho! Hopefully its just a pre-production attempt and the mass produced ones will be a lot more refined???

Old 16 October 2009, 16:26   #50

do you know what engine its based on VW ?
Old 16 October 2009, 17:50   #51

Town: Stornoway
Make: Scorpion 8.1 mk2
Engine: Yamaha F300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
do you know what engine its based on VW ?
I've no idea Roy, Its a 4 cyl engine (Probably why it sounds so ruff & gruff) so i don't think V.W. make a 3.0 litre 4 cyl engine though? They claim its their own engine....but i find that hard to beleive. Heres a link to the specs http://www.megoutboard.com/30L_vision.php

Come to think of it, Wouldnt it be GREAT to see Volkswagen/Audi work along with one of the Major outboard producers to develop a high powered Diesel outboard
Old 17 October 2009, 18:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post
I've no idea Roy, Its a 4 cyl engine (Probably why it sounds so ruff & gruff) so i don't think V.W. make a 3.0 litre 4 cyl engine though? They claim its their own engine....but i find that hard to beleive. Heres a link to the specs http://www.megoutboard.com/30L_vision.php

Come to think of it, Wouldnt it be GREAT to see Volkswagen/Audi work along with one of the Major outboard producers to develop a high powered Diesel outboard
No it would be much nicer to see a British engine in use to provide quality jobs in the UK to benefit us all............
Old 17 October 2009, 18:56   #53

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
No it would be much nicer to see a British engine in use to provide quality jobs in the UK to benefit us all............
Thats when the great British work force can be bothered to get out of bed, or not go on strike I should know... I've employed plenty over the years
Old 17 October 2009, 19:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Thats when the great British work force can be bothered to get out of bed, or not go on strike I should know... I've employed plenty over the years
Well the plant in Bridgend has now passed the 15 million engine mark so they must get out of bed sometimes.

It USED to be the case but not so much any more - nobody has any real job security now - including the postal workers but they are too stupid to see it!!!

Talking of which did you know that some of the main Union leaders and activists behind the strikes in the 1970s were in the pay of the KGB???
Old 17 October 2009, 20:21   #55

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
nobody has any real job security now - including the postal workers but they are too stupid to see it!!!
You've got a point there !
Old 18 October 2009, 02:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
So,you're saying:
'Pigs' Piss Prevents Pollution'
That's about the size of it, although its effect as an immunisation against Swine Flu is still open to debate - oink.
Old 18 October 2009, 03:13   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Diesel View Post

Just a guess here, but IVECO produce a 3.0 litre cylinder with 16 valves. In a 6 tonne truck it produces nearly 180 bhp but in a maritime application (inboard) it makes about 230. The other reason I'm guessing at IVECO is the picture in the background of that site which says 2.3L on the engine cowl. IVECO also produce a 2.3 4 cylinder which in automotive form puts out about 140 hp.
Old 18 October 2009, 03:28   #58

Quote:
That would be nice, however, about 15 years ago I was travelling along the M4 from Cardiff to Bristol when I caught up with an HGV with a flat trailer carrying rolled steel for the automotive industry.

As I got closer I saw the trailer had a panel across the back with the Union (Jack) flag painted on it and the slogan....."Jones/Evans/Llewellyn/Roberts (delete where applicable) proud to be hauling British Steel." As I gained on it I wondered what the tractor unit would be. Would it be a Seddon Atkinson from Oldham? Or an ERF or Foden from Sandbach? Perhaps a Leyland from Lancashire? Would it have a Cummins made in Darlington or maybe a Gardner made in Eccles?

No; wrong! The noisy bit at the front was a Mercedes Benz. There was a company whose livelihood depends on the success of the British motor industry and they couldn't even be bothered to buy a product made out of the commodity they were carrying. I'm sure the residents of Port Talbot and similar areas were extremely grateful.
Old 18 October 2009, 04:18   #59

Quote:

No; wrong! The noisy bit at the front was a Mercedes Benz. There was a company whose livelihood depends on the success of the British motor industry and they couldn't even be bothered to buy a product made out of the commodity they were carrying. I'm sure the residents of Port Talbot and similar areas were extremely grateful.

Totally agree with you!!!