Click Here to Login

Old 21 June 2011, 21:08   #1

Town: Orpington
Make: Seapro 340HD
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8HP
Tuning a Mariner 2005 50HP EFI to a 60HP

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to chip or tune a Mariner 50HP EFI 4 stroke to a 60HP and if so what is involved. I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but I read somewhere that people were doing it.

Can it be done by a marine engineer and is it something he would do?

If it can be carried out. Could it cause any damage to the engine?

Kind regards

Popeye
Old 22 June 2011, 09:38   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Different ECU and the 50hp has an air restrictor in the inlet tract, which needs to be removed.
Old 26 June 2011, 09:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Different ECU and the 50hp has an air restrictor in the inlet tract, which needs to be removed.
Downhilldai,

So it can be done then, if I change the ECU unit and remove the restrictor in the inlet tract.

Would I then need to change the prop? for an increase in 10HP of power, or could I get away with keeping the same prop.

Thanks

Popeye
Old 26 June 2011, 21:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye1 View Post
Downhilldai,

So it can be done then, if I change the ECU unit and remove the restrictor in the inlet tract.

Would I then need to change the prop? for an increase in 10HP of power, or could I get away with keeping the same prop.

Thanks

Popeye

Hi,

I would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to confirm the above question.

I know it's not exciting, but your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Popeye
Old 26 June 2011, 22:42   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
That'll do it. With 20% more hp, you may over-rev the motor with the prop you currently use, or you may notice very little difference. What rpm are you hitting at full pelt now?
Old 27 June 2011, 09:17   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Chill... On a sunny Sunday afternoon there's a high chance some of us might be out burning fuel!

Prop wise the only way you'll find out is to go out & open the throttle. I guess from your info on the left you may have just bought the boat? If it's a nice lightweight hull, chances are you will need to up - pitch. If however you are going to have 3/4 ton of dive kit aboard that the previous owner dinlt carry, the extra Hp might be the difference between actually hitting max RPM or not.

Classic example, I got an engine off the back of a cabin cruiser. On the first outing I chickened out at 6600 at about 3/4 throttle and promptly bought a far bigger pitched prop. If it's a secondhand boat / engine chances are you'll have a different setup, regardless of the 20% extra power!

Bottom line is a test is the only way to find out. Worst case you just have to be mindful of the revs for the first outing.
Old 28 June 2011, 22:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Chill... On a sunny Sunday afternoon there's a high chance some of us might be out burning fuel!

Prop wise the only way you'll find out is to go out & open the throttle. I guess from your info on the left you may have just bought the boat? If it's a nice lightweight hull, chances are you will need to up - pitch. If however you are going to have 3/4 ton of dive kit aboard that the previous owner dinlt carry, the extra Hp might be the difference between actually hitting max RPM or not.

Classic example, I got an engine off the back of a cabin cruiser. On the first outing I chickened out at 6600 at about 3/4 throttle and promptly bought a far bigger pitched prop. If it's a secondhand boat / engine chances are you'll have a different setup, regardless of the 20% extra power!

Bottom line is a test is the only way to find out. Worst case you just have to be mindful of the revs for the first outing.

Thank you and everybody else for the replies.