Old 07 October 2017, 16:52   #1

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Trim and Tilt problem

Was down at the boat today to tuck her in for the winter. I turned on the electrics to trim the engine in to vertical so that the hub wouldn't fill up with water. I trimmed it in and all seemed well. Afterwards, as I climbed into the boat (not touching any of the switches), the engine raised itself up all the way. And wouldn't go back down. I turned the electrics off and lowered the engine manually. Then as soon as I turned the electrics back on it raised up again. Ive dropped it manually and left the electrics off. Has anyone experienced this? Any idea what's fried?

It's a Suzuki DF140 btw.
Old 07 October 2017, 17:13   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If it's on the remotes, then check the actual switch-gear micro switches. If you can remove loom at engine you can isolate to determine. I assume Suzuki has manual trim switch on engine too? You can also check the solenoids on the engine. Remove wiring to check no oxidisation, wire brush contacts with copper bristle wire brush or sandpaper and reconnect.
Old 07 October 2017, 17:16   #3

Thanks man. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old 29 April 2018, 17:37   #4

Thread resurrection!

I decided that rather than messing around with an engine that is still under warranty I'd get it dealt with at service time.

Service said he'd taken it all apart and couldn't see anything wrong, and also that he couldn't reproduce the problem. So i figured that re-seating everything had maybe fixed the issue. The Mrs and I went out for a shakedown cruise 2 weeks ago and all appeared well.#

Then today, as we were packing up to take bring the boat back home before setting off for the ERR on Thu the engine suddenly trims itself up without us pressing anything. We turn the electrics off and let it down. Waggle the wires under the power head, which has previously worked to get it to work again. Then turn electrics on again, and it appears to be fine again (both the throttle and engine switches work). So we cross our fingers and home that it will be intermittent and maybe won't show up on the water, and bring the boat back to West Yorks. On getting it back here we turn the electrics on and the engine is tilting up on it's own again. It doesn't always do it on it's immediately but if you use either of the switches (powerhead or throttle) briefly it will then just raise the engine on it's own again after you release the switch. I addition I can here a load clicking from the little box which has the relays in it. I've tried to capture this is a video:

https://youtu.be/0yT2AkQdb4E

Also: when it's raising itself up, if you press 'down' on either the engine/powerhead switch or the throttle switch it will stop. As soon as you release the switch it continues to tilt up.

So, with time being of the essence:
  • Do people think it might be a relay?
  • If so how easy is it to change/how much would it be/ where can I get one on next day delivery?
  • What else could it be?

Hoping this doesn't kibosh Easdale for us!
Old 29 April 2018, 18:10   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
can you try swapping the relays over Dan, see if it trims down? if it does that might suggest a sticking relay ......
Old 29 April 2018, 18:17   #6

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Zoom
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 10
Have you checked the wiring loom from the helm end back to the engine ? Sounds like a short somewhere, check where the loom goes into the engine !
Old 29 April 2018, 18:26   #7

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Had a similar problem with mine once. Was a sticking trim/tilt relay. there are 2 relays for this - one up one down. They are interchangeable.

I took mine off to swap them around and found them both to work when I tested them. I put it all back together as it was and its been fine since. Probably a dodgy connection.

Try disconnecting cleaning and reconnecting. They are on the port side of the engine right next to the ECU.

I can have a quick look at ERR if you're still struggling.
Old 29 April 2018, 18:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Had a similar problem with mine once. Was a sticking trim/tilt relay. there are 2 relays for this - one up one down. They are interchangeable.

I took mine off to swap them around and found them both to work when I tested them. I put it all back together as it was and its been fine since. Probably a dodgy connection.

Try disconnecting cleaning and reconnecting. They are on the port side of the engine right next to the ECU.

I can have a quick look at ERR if you're still struggling.
I had a look in the box where the clicking was coming from and found:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse-relay.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	124503

The one on the left in the pic is marked as "engine relay" and the other is "main relay". Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Old 29 April 2018, 18:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRib View Post
Have you checked the wiring loom from the helm end back to the engine ? Sounds like a short somewhere, check where the loom goes into the engine !
Everything seems to be heavily wrapped in black tape. All the connections I can see are in the form of plugs. The fact that 'wire waggling' made it go away before made me think it was a loose connection or something somewhere but I can't even see where to start with the wiring.

I've had advise separately suggesting a faulty switch either on throttle or the engine, and to disconnect the engine one to take that out of the equation.
Old 01 May 2018, 21:53   #10
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
I decided that rather than messing around with an engine that is still under warranty I'd get it dealt with at service time.

Service said he'd taken it all apart and couldn't see anything wrong, and also that he couldn't reproduce the problem. So i figured that re-seating everything had maybe fixed the issue. The Mrs and I went out for a shakedown cruise 2 weeks ago and all appeared well.#

Then today, as we were packing up to take bring the boat back home before setting off for the ERR on Thu the engine suddenly trims itself up without us pressing anything. We turn the electrics off and let it down. Waggle the wires under the power head, which has previously worked to get it to work again. Then turn electrics on again, and it appears to be fine again (both the throttle and engine switches work). So we cross our fingers and home that it will be intermittent and maybe won't show up on the water, and bring the boat back to West Yorks. On getting it back here we turn the electrics on and the engine is tilting up on it's own again. It doesn't always do it on it's immediately but if you use either of the switches (powerhead or throttle) briefly it will then just raise the engine on it's own again after you release the switch. I addition I can here a load clicking from the little box which has the relays in it. I've tried to capture this is a video:

https://youtu.be/0yT2AkQdb4E

Also: when it's raising itself up, if you press 'down' on either the engine/powerhead switch or the throttle switch it will stop. As soon as you release the switch it continues to tilt up.

So, with time being of the essence:
  • Do people think it might be a relay?
  • If so how easy is it to change/how much would it be/ where can I get one on next day delivery?
  • What else could it be?

Hoping this doesn't kibosh Easdale for us!

Had the same issue with a Suzuki 90 about 10 years ago. The quick fix was to disconnect the tilt switch on the engine so it only worked from the throttle until I got it fixed properly. Bit worrying when it tilts up at full speed on the water.

Hope you get it sorted Dan
Old 02 May 2018, 05:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Had the same issue with a Suzuki 90 about 10 years ago. The quick fix was to disconnect the tilt switch on the engine so it only worked from the throttle until I got it fixed properly. Bit worrying when it tilts up at full speed on the water.

Hope you get it sorted Dan
Thanks Richard. Interesting to here yours turned out to be the engine switch. I hopefully have a replacement throttle switch arriving today (finger crossed) which I'll fit tonight and I'll disconnect the engine one. Hopefully that'll do it.

Thankfully I've never had it happen on the water but that's definitely the worry! 🤤
Old 02 May 2018, 06:59   #12

Bad Relay
Bad wiring
Bad switch

salt effects everything.

I would clean all connections with an electrics cleaner, re wire connections, check for bad earth conncetion, change relays.
Old 02 May 2018, 07:05   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I had a look in the box where the clicking was coming from and found:
Attachment 124503

The one on the left in the pic is marked as "engine relay" and the other is "main relay". Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Are those not the Starter Motor (engine) and ECU (main) relays?
Old 02 May 2018, 08:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Are those not the Starter Motor (engine) and ECU (main) relays?
Having consulted exploded parts diag on boats.com I believe you are correct. Haven't been able to identify the PTT ones yet.
Old 02 May 2018, 08:52   #15

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
can you get at the engine switch wiring Dan, assuming you can trace it back to a plug n socket connector that seems an easy option
Old 11 May 2018, 21:13   #16

Just a quick update. Unplugged the engine switch at the beginning of Easdale weekend and no further problems. So looks like that's the culprit.
Old 11 May 2018, 21:40   #17
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Quote:
Just a quick update. Unplugged the engine switch at the beginning of Easdale weekend and no further problems. So looks like that's the culprit.

Sounds like a similar problem to mine. Glad you have a quick fix that works. Once mine was replaced I had no further problems.
Old 11 May 2018, 22:22   #18

Yeah I should have said "RMS nailed it".