Old 06 April 2021, 17:48   #1

Town: Richmond
Length: 4m +
Transporting Yamaha F15

Hi there,

I’m new to boating and wanted some wisdom from the forum. I’m looking at getting a Yamaha F15 Electric start (4 stroke 15hp) but I’m not sure about the transport procedures. I won’t be trailering it so I will need to put it on the bed of my truck laid down. I know you have to put it tiller down, but that’s as much as the manual says. Are there other steps I have to consider? (Draining oil , fuel, water from cooling system ?) It will only need to be on its side during transport , I have a motor rack at home for storage.

Thanks
Old 08 April 2021, 10:46   #2

Town: Chelmsford
Provided you lay it on the correct side (your manual should tell you this) and support it well so that it does not slide about you don't need to drain any of the fluids from it to transport.
Old 08 April 2021, 11:35   #3

Town: Walcott
Boat name: Lilly G
Make: Excell Volaire 390
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20 EFI
MMSI: 235925400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacgr View Post
Hi there,

I’m new to boating and wanted some wisdom from the forum. I’m looking at getting a Yamaha F15 Electric start (4 stroke 15hp) but I’m not sure about the transport procedures. I won’t be trailering it so I will need to put it on the bed of my truck laid down. I know you have to put it tiller down, but that’s as much as the manual says. Are there other steps I have to consider? (Draining oil , fuel, water from cooling system ?) It will only need to be on its side during transport , I have a motor rack at home for storage.

Thanks
Hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of boating. An outboard engine does not have any water in it, so it cannot be drained. There is a water pump inside the leg, just above the gearbox, (the torpedo-shaped part at the bottom) that is keyed to the shaft that comes down for the engine.

So, when the engine is running, the impeller inside the waterpump turns and lifts water up a tube, around the water jacket and cools the engine. The warm water is expelled through the exhaust. As soon as you shut the engine down the water stops flowing and drains back out.

With regards to the fuel in the carburettor, when you have finished for the day, with the engine still running disconnect the fuel supply and allow the engine to run until it stops. You now have a dry carb and no fuel will spill out.
Old 08 April 2021, 18:19   #4

Town: aintree
Boat name: megus
Make: avon s400
Engine: 20hp yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDiver View Post
Hi there and welcome to the wonderful world of boating. An outboard engine does not have any water in it, so it cannot be drained. There is a water pump inside the leg, just above the gearbox, (the torpedo-shaped part at the bottom) that is keyed to the shaft that comes down for the engine.

So, when the engine is running, the impeller inside the waterpump turns and lifts water up a tube, around the water jacket and cools the engine. The warm water is expelled through the exhaust. As soon as you shut the engine down the water stops flowing and drains back out.

With regards to the fuel in the carburettor, when you have finished for the day, with the engine still running disconnect the fuel supply and allow the engine to run until it stops. You now have a dry carb and no fuel will spill out.
It’s a four stroke got oil in crank case.
Old 09 April 2021, 06:02   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
It’s a four stroke got oil in crank case.
Will also end up with water up the exhaust if the gearbox is lifted higher than the powerhead. Not all water drains immediately. Folk have wrecked engines this way
Old 09 April 2021, 09:14   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Must admit I'd not thought that hard about transport positions until we had our first 4-stroke a few years back which concentrated the mind... now even with a 2-stroke I transport so the powerhead is held a little higher than the prop... just on a thick blanket or something. And no max G left hand bends either.

Tags
yamaha