Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 07 June 2022, 22:30   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Tool Suggestions for diy service

Went to clean up a mess of oil on the OB caused by engineer error as in the other thread but discovered I might need a couple of smaller tools.

So looking for suggestions/examples of what you guys use which I will probably pick up off ebay/amazon, as it will only be for light home use.

So far.....thinking a torque wrench (not sure of size/nm that might be required...any suggestions on your experience)

Small 1/4" socket set as the 1/2" and above sets I have are too big for some of the jobs.

Gear oil applicator/filler thing that looked useful on a youtube video I watched.

Some of the stormsure glue stuff Steve recently used (for the sib)

Grease....any particular types.
I do have a tub of silicon grease I use for zips etc but no grease gun could be found recently although I searched all the sheds for hours.

I am guessing that if ordering service kits that washers and seals and such like will be included in the kits or is advisable to have a couple extra of specific things such as certain washers?
Old 08 June 2022, 05:14   #2

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Some of the cheap socket sets are not very good - poor fit, so more likely to round bolts and also tend to fall off the socket or extension bar. I would perhaps do a survey of the motor, you might only have a couple of sizes. Of bolt head e.g. 10 and 13mm, then just buy better quality spanners and sockets for these, rather than from amazon. That might be the best option in the long run if you are trying to save money. Halfords sell their professional range seperately in store, so you can just buy what you need. I would definitely get an extension bar for any sockets.
Old 08 June 2022, 06:22   #3

I'd agree with that. Buy the sockets and spanners needed just for that engine, buy quality and keep them in the tool bag you keep onboard.

I tend to prefer ratchet spanners on the grounds that Murphy's Law dictates the one time you end up using them in anger it'll be dark and you'll be bobbing about on the water.

I also have an adjustable, again just because I'm paranoid I'll find a nut that isn't the same as all the others and to also remove the plugs.

Good quality screwdrivers. A flathead and a Phillips.

Grease gun.

You don't really need much but definitely don't buy cheap.

Lubricants are probably the key items that are missing from basic home toolkits.

I've a tin of Duckhams yellow grease, tube of silicon and a can of lithium spray.

Carb cleaner is always useful for cleaning stuff up.
Old 08 June 2022, 07:40   #4

Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
When it comes to tools - don't skimp on cheap Ebay rubbish.

Halfords Professional (comes with a lifetime warranty) tools, with ratchets, 3/8, 1/4 and 1/2 drive. Nothing is going to be torque heavy on an outboard apart from the flywheel.

Get yourself disposable nitrile gloves. Gear oil and petrol are just some of the substances you'll come into contact with.

Marine grease, white grease, penetrating oil (I swear by PlusGas). Used to use WD40 - but moved over to 3-in-one aerosol for cleaning the outboard cowl and leg after a service.

Decent rubber hand-hold flat-head screwdriver with a pair of claw-grips (Sealy or Draper) for removing stubborn gear oil screws.

Electric multi meter, insulation tape, needle-nose pliers.

Like all tools - you can build your collection as you tackle different jobs.
Old 08 June 2022, 09:12   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I have 2 of these. One at home & one in the campervan. Very good quality for the price point. Great for engine servicing assuming you have a Japanese engine & not American. Most American engines are imperial fasteners.

C.K 4655 Sure Drive Socket Set 1/4-Inch Drive (39 Pieces) https://amzn.eu/d/cs54oyc
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2022, 09:18   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I agree not to buy unknown brand tools from Ebay or anywhere else but pretty well anything from Halfords will be OK for casual DIY... particularly on an outboard where most torque figures are low as spartacus says.

I'd consider this 1/4" set for £17... https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-332406.html

Combine with either this £26 3/8" set... https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-332414.html

Or the £42 1/2" drive version... https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-332422.html

If combining 1/4" and 3/8" there is the set that covers both saving £3 over buying both... https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-332430.html

Then add the specific hex or torx bits if required for your outboard.

I really don't think you will need anything in the £100-£200 set range.

A 3/8" torque wrench will likely cover everything bar the flywheel nut. Something like this one but a slightly cheaper one would do... https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...60-488695.html

I only ever buy a torque wrench from makers of repute.

In addition to the home tool kit I buy single items for my carry aboard tool kit specific to my outboard so for example a small screwdriver to reach the mixture screw... a 1/4" ratchet/extension bar & socket to reach nuts to remove the carb... A single ended ring spanner to fit the prop nut. This is far better than carrying a full toolkit with many unneeded items, a little as TM says.
Old 08 June 2022, 10:31   #7

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Carry zip ties and I seem to find use for 7 inch scissors more than I ever thought I would
Old 08 June 2022, 11:55   #8

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Like some others, I have two sets, one very comprehensive set of quality kit in the workshop and a "boat specific" set on board.
For the boat tools I tend to go cheap and replace them when they get rusty. On the boat I carry - 3/8 socket set, open ended spanners, prop-nut spanner, pliers, vice grips, screwdrivers, Allen keys, small multi-meter, plus various spares. Apart from the socket set I only carry tool sizes that appear on the boat.
You could of course keep one set of "best" tools on the boat but I prefer to have good set and a "disposable" set.
"Boat specific" stuff in the workshop includes gearbox oil filler, hydraulic steering bleeder, engine diagnostic software & leads. For engine greasing (and trailer bearings) I use Lucas Xtra heavy grease.
Hope this is useful.....
Old 08 June 2022, 12:14   #9

An expensive spanner doesn't float any better than an inexpensive one.
Old 08 June 2022, 14:07   #10

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
An expensive spanner doesn't float any better than an inexpensive one.
Indeed.......another reason for cheapys on the boat.
Always wondered if anyone makes a floating prop-nut spanner......or a floating prop-nut for that matter[emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 08 June 2022, 14:56   #11

Christmas has arrived early for you Jon. Quicksilver do prop nut spanners that float.
Old 08 June 2022, 15:14   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Good idea to get some brass wire brushes for cleaning anodes lidle sell em
Old 08 June 2022, 19:30   #13

Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Good idea to get some brass wire brushes for cleaning anodes lidle sell em
Good call.
When your spark plugs are darker than Satan's drawers and you just need to get home, and a dry rag or kitchen roll.
Old 08 June 2022, 22:44   #14

Town: Cardiff
I have set similar to this and I often reach for it first small enough to put in your pocket and incredibly handy! Deal of the day: Bosch 2607017160 Screwdriving Set with Mini Ratchet (27 Pieces) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071IK9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

A good oil filter tool is a must Spurtar Heavy Duty 3 Jaw Oil Filter Wrench from 54 to 116mm Universal Adjustable Oil Filter Removal Tool Two Way https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0756XJR...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Keep looking at these waiting until I see them for sale in person https://twinsetspanners.com/

Oh and GT85 and white spray grease (comma from halfords) and a grease gun with some lithium grease £3-12 a tube pick a brand you like the colour of
Old 09 June 2022, 18:34   #15

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I’ve been using Halfords pro for decades. Good enough quality and decent price for 95% of jobs.
I have a few snapon ratchets. They’re not noticeably better than Halfords TBH, at least in my years of using them.
Old 09 June 2022, 22:48   #16

Cheers guys......a few good ideas and links there

Had actually forgotten about Halfords for tools. In fact I realised tonight the larger sized good socket set I got from my father many years ago was from Halfords, so will be more than man enough for any heavy duty stuff.
So as suggested I might just get the individual sockets etc if need be later, although to be fair their complete sets are very reasonable.

So proabley the most expensive item would be a torque wrench that I would be more comfortable using than just guessing....

I just remembered tonight that I also have the small basic tool set that came with the outboard, which would give most of the tool sizes I would need.
If only I had thought about the kit before spending hours and hours going through loads of boxes trying to find a socket narrow enough to fit.

(Although on a positive note I did find some tools I didnt even realise I had which came from my parents sheds when my father died a few years ago)

Anyway the outboards all cleaned out (I had forgotten how much mess a small amount of oil can make and what a pain it is to get rid of). Stuck it in a barrel tonight for a few minutes and all seems well.
Old 10 June 2022, 12:05   #17

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
On a slight tangent , many a good day has been spoilt by trailer failure . From decent spare tyres to complete hub assemblies and all tools necessary to utilise them . Spare a thought for problems with this oft neglected workhorse !
Old 10 June 2022, 12:37   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
On a slight tangent , many a good day has been spoilt by trailer failure . From decent spare tyres to complete hub assemblies and all tools necessary to utilise them . Spare a thought for problems with this oft neglected workhorse !

Exactly! I carry more trailer spares & tools than boat spares. Realistically I’m not going to be performing major boat repairs at sea. With modern EFI engines it either goes or it doesn’t. If it’s the latter, it’s cavalry time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 20:57   #19

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I think the above has covered everything for the home DIY’er. Another thing to consider is a rubber mallet, great for “persuading” stuck gearboxes etc.
Old 10 June 2022, 21:02   #20

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Imho problems at sea with efi are largely electrical or fuel.

Spare fuel bulb, spare fuses, something to cut a fuel line and re seal, make a new connection on wire will all allow you to get home if you have the skills