Old 19 August 2004, 20:19   #1

Town: Yeovil
Boat name: Ribbit
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp EPTOL
MMSI: 235026896
Tohatsu 90 on the move

Gradually over the last couple of months the clearance between the front of the engine and the hydraulic steering ram has diminished to the point that the metal bar connecting the ram to the engine hardpoint now fouls the engine when it is turned in one direction. The odd thing is that when the boat is in the water and engine running, this clearance is restored. It is only a problem with the boat out of the water. The 'movement' does not appear to be related to the tilt setting.

Can anyone comment on what could cause this? The engine bolts are secure and the hydraulic steering mechanism is securely attached to the engine bracket and is not distorted.

My thoughts are that an engine to bracket mounting may be loose in some way, though I have checked the lower ones on the leg and they are tight. I don't know where the upper ones are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20 August 2004, 07:58   #2

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Cirrus
I'm not an expert on this, but have you looked at the mounting rubbers?
With the boat out of the water and engine down try to move the lump about, it could be that the mounts are worn.
Hope it helps
Jelly
Old 21 September 2004, 15:25   #3

Town: Volos Greece
Make: Avon
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard
Your engine wobble

Cirrus,

I am an engineer working for Sunsail in Greece. In 2003 we invested in Tohatsu 30hp 4 strokes & 120hp 2 strokes. I also think that you should have a look at your top engine mounts as on four out of five of the engines that I have worked on have had a similar problem as you have been describing. The reason this happens is that the exhaust is too hot and makes the rubber degrade in the mounts causing the engine too wobble. No matter how much you tighten the lock nuts you will still the same problem. We have not found a solution to this

Fagin