Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 01 May 2009, 23:04   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Tohatsu 90 - excellent support from Tohatsu UK

Purchased a new Tohatsu 90 2-stroke at the start of the year (final 2006 stock) and there were some issues with it that ended up with the engine being returned to the main tohatsu UK dealer.

Would like to recommend Tohatsu UK for their excellent service. The engine was returned a couple of weeks later with new pistons and rings and some free bits-n-pieces for the hassle. The engineers at Tohatsu UK really seem to know their stuff and are really helpful (I've spoken to them on a number of occasions re different engines over the years)

I know a new engine should not have issues but it does happen and that's when you really find out how effective a company is at providing support. Now onto my 5th Tohatsu and it's good to know the support is there when you actually need it.

Cheers,
Al
Old 02 May 2009, 15:40   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Al, thats good to know. Might be worth pointing out this thread to them so they can see there efforts are worthwhile.

My rib came from them too, previously there MDs I believe

Pete
Old 02 May 2009, 20:02   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Is it me or is this make gaining ground on the more ' established ' brands ............Seeing far more of them on the water this year - must be a good reasons & this story may be one of them ?
Old 02 May 2009, 23:29   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
I totally agree with you- i had a very minor complaint with my 50 2 stroke(corrosion on the casing) and it was delt with without any hassle at all- the guys there at Tohatsu UK and Extreme marine are really helpful.
Tohatsu UK have been the only marine engine company that i have been able to talk to and get advice directly from without being told "you will have to ask your dealer". In my case, i was getting some tech advice on carb settings and i just mentioned about a very minor bit of corrosion on my lower engine casing and it was them that told me to make a warranty claim(through the dealer). It was all sorted with minimal fuss. To me , this is very important to have great backup after you have brought a new engine.
I have brought 2 new Tohatsus over recent years, and i wouldnt hesitate at all in buying another one.
A lot of people dont reallise that a few of the big name manufacturers use Tohatsu engines with their own names(Mercury/Mariner for sure) on them- you literally just pay more £££ for the name!!!
I dont think they are just gaining on the more established brands- they are right up there with them.