Old 03 April 2007, 17:08   #1

Town: Sothampton
Length: no boat
Tohatsu 60hp 2 stroke

Hi

Just joined this site after lurking for over a year now. Great site and lots of useful information.

I am thinking of trading in an 18hp Tohatsu (2 stroke) against the 60hp 2 stroke.. The difference to trade in would be 2K. This engine would be used on a Ribcraft 4.8 in the future (about a year from now). I understand these engines are old technology and use approx. 30% more fuel but considering the price difference it could buy a lot of fuel.

Would the 60hp be a good match for the 4.8 and what sort of fuel economy could I expect just cruising around? Also, the 60hp can be modified to make it a 70hp. Main dealer said they can do this and it will not affect the warranty. Has anyone had this done on their engines?

Any advise/comments would be appreciated.

ekim
Old 03 April 2007, 17:57   #2

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Welcome to the forum Ekim.

You can find the official manufacturer consumption figures here:

http://www.tohatsu-outboards.com/fuel-consumption.htm

I'd say £2k for a new 60hp with warranty is a good deal. A new technology 60hp would normally be in the region of £3.5k to £4k, so you could definitely buy a lot of fuel for the difference.

I've got the 50hp Tohatsu 2 stroke and they're good simple engines, which you can fix yourself with a bit of mechanical knowledge. They're a bit noisy at the upper end of the rev range and you can smell the 2-stroke occasionally which may put some people off (I like it though ).

The 60hp is the same block as the 70hp, so the upgrade could just be a change to the carbs / timing.
Old 03 April 2007, 23:18   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I had a long chat with the proprietor of extreme marine at SBS and the 60hp is very appealing engine;
-robust
-simple tech
-fix it yourself
-see all necessary parts
-don't need a laptop
-easily upgradable to 70hp

The only real reason I didn't buy one was that there's nothing wrong with my current motor but the 60hp would be a great match for your boat. I think he said it was rated at 6gph at WOT and he could upgrade it whenever I liked for the same money.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2007, 15:54   #4

Town: gosport
Boat name: unnamed
Make: humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: tohatsu 60+
tohatsu 60

Hello ekim
I've been running my tohatsu (tweaked to 70) for 2 seasons now and I thoroughly recommend this motor.
It has been reliable,has wicked acceleration and pushes my Humber 4.7 up to 35kts (with 3 persons onboard and full fuel tanks.)
I've have kept a log of all fuel used and engine hours for the last 2 seasons and have averaged around 8.5 litres per hour every season. This figure has been obtained by a mixture of high speed WOT runs, towing wakeboards,crusing and in different sea states.
So overall, for the money you can't beat the Tohatsu in my opinion.

Regards Scott.
Old 05 April 2007, 17:13   #5

Town: Sothampton
Length: no boat
Thanks to everyone for replying. Very helpful.

I have now been thinking that I may get a Ribcraft 5.3m. The boat is for 2 people only and will only have 2 seats. Do you think that 70hp is ok for this.

Mike
Old 05 April 2007, 21:02   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Thanks to everyone for replying. Very helpful.

I have now been thinking that I may get a Ribcraft 5.3m. The boat is for 2 people only and will only have 2 seats. Do you think that 70hp is ok for this.

Mike
Plenty
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote