Old 19 December 2013, 10:07   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
How about float valve in the float chamber on the carb sticking open & not shutting off fuel when its full, Or choke not operating in the right position ?
^ This
Old 19 December 2013, 13:54   #22

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Ok, not getting a spark now. I can only assume the weak one I had before was a fluke! Where to start now?

I have fitted a new plug which sparks nicely when I plug it in to my old seagull.

I have continuity between the wee magnet and the small black cable that runs from the flywheel down to the ignition coil.

AAARRRGGGHHH!! And I think I'll need to get my chimnea going if I have I spend much more time in the garden fickering with this bloody thing!

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2013, 21:31   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Had a Honda lawnmower that refused to start during the summer. Eventually traced that to a faulty ignition unit, considering you're no longer getting a spark.

Looking at the parts diagram for the Twatsoo, there's an exciter coil, pulser coil, ignition unit and CD unit. Check the exciter coil (fig 4 Magneto), reference 4-2. Any corrosion, seated properly?

http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/...0221005-6).pdf
Old 19 December 2013, 22:16   #24

Gonna borrow an ignition coil from a friend tomorrow and also a CDI and hopefully one of those will be the problem. Then I'll get a hold of the twat that sold me it and try to make him pay for parts!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 19 December 2013, 22:23   #25

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Then I'll get a hold of the twat that sold me it and try to make him pay for parts!
I can see it now!

Old 20 December 2013, 06:54   #26

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
I would check the plug cap connection first where it connects to the lead core , some have a sharp spike that can get corroded or if messing about with the plug it can get disturbed '& loose connection especially if removing the plug a lot ,i would check that first before anything else electrical. If it was me i would remove the plug cap & nip a bit of the end of the lead or see if if sparks before changing coils ect .
Old 20 December 2013, 07:01   #27

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Gonna borrow an ignition coil from a friend tomorrow and also a CDI and hopefully one of those will be the problem. Then I'll get a hold of the twat that sold me it and try to make him pay for parts!
was it running when you bought it?
Old 20 December 2013, 09:13   #28

Cheers all - a few things to look at! I've bought 2 new plugs and neither are working, but both sparking on my seagul!

I was told it was working but I bought it off fleebay! D'oh! So it hasn't run since it arrived
Old 20 December 2013, 12:59   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
I would check the plug cap connection first where it connects to the lead core , some have a sharp spike that can get corroded or if messing about with the plug it can get disturbed '& loose connection especially if removing the plug a lot ,i would check that first before anything else electrical. If it was me i would remove the plug cap & nip a bit of the end of the lead or see if if sparks before changing coils ect .
You have had a spark, now you have no spark, could be dodgy plug leads, they should be replace as a matter of course anyway, could be many years old.

Good luck
Old 20 December 2013, 16:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
You have had a spark, now you have no spark, could be dodgy plug leads, they should be replace as a matter of course anyway, could be many years old.

Good luck
Just checked, all good with the HT lead. good continuity along it.

sadly my friends tohatsu was totally different (a 3.5) so didnt get to try any parts. I might just buy a CDI and return it if thats not the problem!

So frustrating!
Old 20 December 2013, 17:18   #31

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
I had this once with a yammie Malta, some diddy had removed the flywheel and replaced it without replacing the woodruff key. I found it on the underside of the flywheel. No more intermittent spark and no more wet plugs!!
Old 20 December 2013, 17:41   #32

Town: wolverhampton
Boat name: bluefin
Make: picton
Engine: outboard
Disconnect your dead mans switch and try again.
Old 20 December 2013, 18:08   #33

I've tried the kill switch, but haven't had the flywheel off!

Ordered a CDI unit that I can return within a fortnight if It doesn't work.

Will have a look under the flywheel and see what like. Although, it's pumping water when I turn it on the cord, surely this wouldn't happen if the flywheel was slipping on the shaft?

Cheeeers

Si
Old 20 December 2013, 18:14   #34

Town: wolverhampton
Boat name: bluefin
Make: picton
Engine: outboard
If the woodruff key was sheared you would still get a spark, if its a cdi unit all that your going to see underneath the flywheel is an exciter coil.Have you spun the flywheel with an electric drill with the plugs out but connected to the plug leads?
Old 20 December 2013, 18:22   #35

Yeah I've had it on a drill and still nothing!
Old 20 December 2013, 18:23   #36

I've had it with the drill, yes and still nothing!
Old 20 December 2013, 18:28   #37

Yeah I've tried with the drill mate but no joy!
Old 20 December 2013, 18:28   #38

Bloody app.....
Old 20 December 2013, 21:44   #39

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
We had woodruff key snap on an Evinrude engine , key was in place but flywheel was not tightened down enough causing shock to the key which made it snap , even though it was tight it was then just enough to have the flywheel move around on the shaft a couple of mill causing the timing to be out . Just thinking when Sparticus earlier mentioned about them being bullet proof was asked by a mate to look at an old Tohatsu 5 (points ignition) he had the similar problem with the engine flooding , He dropped it off one dinner time ( lunch time if your southern ) so really quick i said ill have a quick look before back to work i said well use the wife's new plastic waste bin (shes out & wont know ), i went outside where me mate showed me the fuel ( took float bowl apart found float valve not seating proper got that back together again so i said right you hold the engine upright whilst i pull it over ,,,1st pull nothing ,,,,2nd Pull BANG , engine and my mate shot about 5foot in the air with me dtill holding the starter cord , engine & my mate crashed back to the ground , what had happened is whilst i was having me (lunch ) he had been trying to start it , petrol had run into the lower leg then when it fired it ignited excess furl in the exhaust causing explosion like a small mortar , lucky the engine was fine & ran for years without anymore problems we just had shell shock & tinging ears & wet feet ! worse still it had blown all the bottom out of her kitchen bin .
Old 20 December 2013, 21:48   #40

I'll have a check tomorrow, cheers!