Old 14 January 2011, 13:18   #1

Town: Cairns
Boat name: KAHUNAS
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 30 Tohatsu
MMSI: wft is a dsc mmsi ?
Tohatsu 30 2 stroke won't start

Long over due i have put my motor back together and went to fire it up, but nothing. It seems i am not getting any spark.

There are 2 black wires which by normal wiring colours i am assuming are earth wires.
One comes from the CDI module and ends with an o-ring terminal. The other is a short wire which has an 0-ring terminal at either end. I have tried basically every combination that i could think of, but still nothing...

If anyone has a Tohatsu 25/30, could you please post a picture of your CDI and coil pack so i can see if i have got something wrong.

Or alternatively if someone knows where these wires should be connected could you please tell me.

Also, do these motors have a firing order? I've noticed in other pictures that the lead coming from the top of the coil pack actually goes to the bottom cylinder. Mine is the other way around as that is the only way the leads will reach...

Thank you
Old 14 January 2011, 18:23   #2
MOS

Town: Brighton, Chichester
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus_Boy View Post
Long over due i have put my motor back together and went to fire it up, but nothing. It seems i am not getting any spark.

There are 2 black wires which by normal wiring colours i am assuming are earth wires.
One comes from the CDI module and ends with an o-ring terminal. The other is a short wire which has an 0-ring terminal at either end. I have tried basically every combination that i could think of, but still nothing...

If anyone has a Tohatsu 25/30, could you please post a picture of your CDI and coil pack so i can see if i have got something wrong.

Or alternatively if someone knows where these wires should be connected could you please tell me.

Also, do these motors have a firing order? I've noticed in other pictures that the lead coming from the top of the coil pack actually goes to the bottom cylinder. Mine is the other way around as that is the only way the leads will reach...

Thank you

I'm not being rude but check the kill cord...

If it is in and working, then I would say check all wiring and earths again... Check woodruff key on the flywheel... Check you are getting voltage from the pulsar coil... Tough to diagnose without seeing the engine.

Also, Generally the earths should be different lengths and will only/should fit in certain places... same as the plug leads. (If the coil pack is bolted onto the head then the head needs to be earthed too...) Make sure CDI unit is also earthed properly...

Bringing The Workshop To You.
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 20:06   #3

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Would this be of any help? Did You had the engine running before You bought it, CDI failure is one possible cause. Its not a picture taken by me, but same type of engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribnet.jpg
Views:	2697
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	56503  
Old 14 January 2011, 22:14   #4

Town: Midwest USA
Boat name: Avon 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Merc
Not sure which Tohatsu 25hp two stroke you have but here is a link to all the owners manuals for Tohatsu engines:

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Owner...html#TwoStroke

Good luck
Old 15 January 2011, 01:35   #5

MOS - Yes kill cord is connected

C-Numb - I actually found that picture last night. All though mine differs slightly from that motor, but as far as the wiring mine is wired the same, but still not starting. I've never ran the motor before, i've recently replaced a few parts, but i just assumed that the CDI and coil pack were ok as i was assured the motor was in running order when i purchased it.

In that picture the leads are going to oppisite cylinders as mine, does this matter?
Old 15 January 2011, 01:46   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
MOS - Yes kill cord is connected

C-Numb - I actually found that picture last night. All though mine differs slightly from that motor, but as far as the wiring mine is wired the same, but still not starting. I've never ran the motor before, i've recently replaced a few parts, but i just assumed that the CDI and coil pack were ok as i was assured the motor was in running order when i purchased it.

In that picture the leads are going to oppisite cylinders as mine, does this matter?
Have you actually checked a plug for a spark? It'll still spark, even if the firing order is wrong.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2011, 02:27   #7

I swapped the earth wiring around and now i am getting spark. The motor started a couple of times for about 1/2 second and then stopped. There's also fuel coming back out the carb through the intake now...
Old 15 January 2011, 06:08   #8

Youtube video uploading of me trying to start the motor.

I pulled the new plugs out and i might be wrong here but shouldn't they atlest be wet from the fuel, or be able to smell fuel on them? The were as through they came straight from the packet, dry, and no fuel smell at all....

Old 15 January 2011, 07:02   #9

If you have the M25/30 model, pretty sure that the spark wiring on the picture is correct.
If the sparks are dry despite pulling, guess its the carb or fuel pump?
Old 15 January 2011, 09:29   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
First thing to do is to repair the pullcord. There's no point manually re-threading the starter rope every time. I used to have a mint Yamaha 40V, and it never started on the first or second pull. Normally took 3-4 attempts. Once it was running, it would run all day.

Rule out fuel related problems, such as fuel filter on the engine (clean fuel bowl), the tank is vented, and the primer bulb is hard before starting the engine. Are the spark plugs new or used? You could check the gap.
Old 15 January 2011, 09:48   #11

Spartacus - Pull cord is a rainy day project, so long as it isn't directly related to the issue i'm happy to leave it for the time being. The video only showed one pull just to show what is happening. But i've lost count allready of how many attempts i've made at starting it.

The plugs are new, and the primer bulb is hard, and carb bowl full.
Old 15 January 2011, 14:32   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Get the lower unit on it and try to start it in water. The lack of backpressure won't be helping.

What throttle setting are you using to try starting it, and is the choke on?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2011, 14:48   #13

I've tried choke on and off, and different throttle positions, no difference.

Someone else mentioned about not having the L/U on also and losing back pressure, so i will try that out tommorow. I honestly didn't think it was the sort of thing that would stop an outboard from starting all together though...
Old 15 January 2011, 16:46   #14

What about lifting the tank higher and having a friend pressing the prime bulb doing start-up. Having similar engine, start easily without back pressure. Base on the You Tube video still suspect fuel supply issue.

Newer tested this, but how abut spraying gasoline( at Your own risk...) to the inlet of the carb before/during start.
Old 15 January 2011, 19:57   #15

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
I swapped the earth wiring around and now i am getting spark. The motor started a couple of times for about 1/2 second and then stopped. There's also fuel coming back out the carb through the intake now...
I have a 2003 Mercury 30hp (lightening model) which is basically a tohatsu. I had a similar problem and the marine dealership told me they are a problematic engine to get going, but once its fired and running it will start first pull. They advised me to pull the choke out half way for the first two pulls and then put it back in and it should start. This worked for me as previously i've spent 20 to 30 pulls trying to get it going with no joy.

Not sure if this will help but its what i was told.? Good luck.
Old 16 January 2011, 01:21   #16
MOS

Clean the carb, check float height, check fuel pump and try again... It sounds fine as she fired on first pull ! ...

Old 16 January 2011, 02:09   #17

With regards to fuel pump, i have seen that there is some type of gasket, that sits between the pump and the block, and not a part of the actual unit itself.

I saw it in the spares catalouge, and noticed that mine dosen't have this, is it nessacary?

If the fuel pump itself is faulty, would the motor still start with just the fuel in the carb bowl? I'd expect it would start and run on just the fuel in the bowl until it ran out, much like it would still run with the fuel tank dissonceted....
Old 16 January 2011, 09:16   #18
MOS

Quote:
With regards to fuel pump, i have seen that there is some type of gasket, that sits between the pump and the block, and not a part of the actual unit itself.

I saw it in the spares catalouge, and noticed that mine dosen't have this, is it nessacary?

If the fuel pump itself is faulty, would the motor still start with just the fuel in the carb bowl? I'd expect it would start and run on just the fuel in the bowl until it ran out, much like it would still run with the fuel tank dissonceted....
Yes, you need to have that gasket ...

And yes, The engine will still run with just the fuel in the bowl.