Old 27 June 2012, 07:05   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Tohatsu 18hp 2 stroke £650

This was listed last night, amazed if this is still available but one of the most desirable and elusive 2 strokes for £650?! I'd pick it up it if I was nearer but someone down that way grab it quick...

TOHATSU 18HP OUTBOARD ENGINE VERY LOW HOURS VERY GOOD CONDITION | eBay
Old 27 June 2012, 07:19   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Arh but is it genuine ? Firstly I dont think you can do a classified ad on a Outboard, Secondly the description would appear to be from a different ad as it says "for auction" when it's not on auction.

Maybe just me reading into it too much. It's a great price if it's genuine! Who will be first to secure it

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 27 June 2012, 09:57   #3

As ever though Pete you are only ever going to part with cash after seeing it etc, don't you have a network of OB scouts picking these things up for you?
Old 27 June 2012, 12:37   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Arh but is it genuine? Firstly I dont think you can do a classified ad on a Outboard, Secondly the description would appear to be from a different ad as it says "for auction" when it's not on auction.

Maybe just me reading into it too much. It's a great price if it's genuine! Who will be first to secure it
Nothing wrong with being cautious, especially when hard-earned cash is at stake.

The seller's history is a little patchy... last items bought in 2005, then something for £20 eariler this year. Definately for someone in Cornwall who can see it before they buy.
Old 27 June 2012, 12:44   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I am tempted to buy it without seeing it . The ebay add says cashpayment - so no worries in buying it and if its like its described its fine and a bargain. If its not you walk away and run the slight risk of 1 negative feedback on ebay - even then if you are being honest and its a state you are well within your rights to walk away ......

If it was £950 then it would appear OK maybe ? There are people out there that really are not aware of the value of 'stuff' - good job too as other wise Peter would be out of a job .....

I dont need another engine but even I am tempted...( Note to self - must stop buying stuff just because its there ! ...anyone want a 3m RIB? )
Old 27 June 2012, 13:56   #6

It's a classified ad so the purchase doesn't take place through eBay (you negotiate privately with the seller) - no feedback or payment involved - just like a small ad in a paper etc. Cash on collection.

It's one of the best ways to sell big stuff as you just pay a one off fee (£20) or so and no silly final value fees etc - just good old fashioned private negotiation - as I say just like a classified ad but really effective for cars and boats in my experience.

eBay are (yet again) putting up final value fees for private sellers from a maximum £40 ish to £75 in a couple of weeks, to quote:

"On Tuesday 10 July 2012, the maximum final value fee for private sellers will increase from £40 to £75. This new final value fee cap will only impact listings with a sale price above £400.
This change applies to private sellers and will only affect items which are listed from 10 July 2012 onwards. Fees for business sellers are unchanged."
Old 27 June 2012, 14:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
It's a classified ad so the purchase doesn't take place through eBay (you negotiate privately with the seller) - no feedback or payment involved - just like a small ad in a paper etc. Cash on collection.

It's one of the best ways to sell big stuff as you just pay a one off fee (£20) or so and no silly final value fees etc - just good old fashioned private negotiation - as I say just like a classified ad but really effective for cars and boats in my experience.

eBay are (yet again) putting up final value fees for private sellers from a maximum £40 ish to £75 in a couple of weeks, to quote:

"On Tuesday 10 July 2012, the maximum final value fee for private sellers will increase from £40 to £75. This new final value fee cap will only impact listings with a sale price above £400.
This change applies to private sellers and will only affect items which are listed from 10 July 2012 onwards. Fees for business sellers are unchanged."
Surely there is even less to loose then ? Tell him you want it , call him to arrange going to get it and if its duff walk away with no concern about duff feedback ?

MY logic would be - buy it ( via ebay butnot VIA ebay) go see it and if its duff walk away - you have lost the cost of the petrol, if its decent pay him the £650 and you have a decent engine or one you can sell on for maybe £1k ( thats a guess by the way ) ..

I'm slowly convincing myself to buy it !
Old 27 June 2012, 14:12   #8

Peter, that makes 100% sense - I'd be surprised if he's hasn't sold it already though - I would never remove the ad until I had the cash in my hand.
Old 27 June 2012, 15:56   #9

Sold - its either a good cheap engine or a crap expensive anchor !
Old 27 June 2012, 19:09   #10

It's a good cheap engine!
Old 28 June 2012, 11:53   #11

Good one peter. Like I said got to keep you employed!!
Old 28 June 2012, 12:30   #12

Mine's a pint!
Old 28 June 2012, 14:10   #13

Thing is I saw it the day before but left it as I was busy as the advert looked a bit light of info. Turns out his daughter listed it as he doesn't do eBay, had a few things up for sale so copied/pasted advert where possible.

You reminded me so I threw in an offer with my mobile number attached. Luckily for me I offered £700 on the £650 asking price. Never knew eBay allowed you to do it but they do! Lucky I did as somebody else had offered full asking before me.

Went down yesterday and the guy was a real gent. The plan is to put it on the back of a larger cruiser we have available as spare, doubling as a play motor for the tender. Will use it ourselves for a few weeks then move it on. Unless we get an offer too good to refuse of course!

Makes up for the ones I've posted up on here further afield from me but give me a shout if you want to call it in any time

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 28 June 2012, 14:31   #14

Well done, not sure about you Peter but I run my ebay search for all new listings on the entire boat catagory and dinghy catagory about every hour or less from morn' till night as I'm sat at a computer or with iPhone in hand most of the day/night - you never know what will turn up on a BIN bargain...mostly in the elusive search for a RNLI Y Class at present - if you ever see one in your travels or contacts please let me know!
Old 28 June 2012, 14:34   #15

Will do, we check it much less but guess its just right time/place. For example I know a Yam 15hp 2 stroke has just gone on. 2006 minter by all accounts...

£1,100 well spent. In Cornwall too so if it's close to me and anybody wants it give me a shout.

Old 28 June 2012, 14:40   #16

Just saw it on eBay - great price for a 2006 and I would grab it but a long way from me to pick up...as you say a nice buy for someone.
Old 28 June 2012, 19:55   #17

Great engine

Old 29 June 2012, 06:40   #18

You bought that one too?!
Old 29 June 2012, 08:40   #19

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +