Old 17 August 2006, 12:00   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Tilt switches on the engine

Johnson 115GL 2 stroke.... 2000-ish vintage.

The installation on my Humber has the usual tilt switches on the throttle lever which is fine, they work with no problems.

But there are a pair of what I assume are waterproof tilt switches on the actual motor, however they don't do anything. Looking inside it appears that they aren't connected to anything, though they are down inside the lower part of the cowling so you really can't get to them I can just see a wire coming out which ends in a disconnected plug but there isn't anywhere obvious that they should be plugged in to. There is what appears to be a matching plug (funny shaped one) connection round the front of the engine but I can't see where the wires from that go; anyway it is already connected to something.

What is the usual practice for wiring these up - would it normally be an either/or setup - in other words would the tilt switches on the motor normally be disconnected if there were tilt switches on the console? Sometimes it would be handy when working outside the boat (flushing, putting the support leg in for trailering, servicing work etc) to be able to tilt the motor while standing next to it, but obviously I don't want to lose the ones on the console which are more important.

I'm not even sure they work as one of them clicks and the other one doesn't - it feels "dead" - but the main problems is I'm not sure how they should be connected or if they can be connected at the same time as the console switches. I may have to order a replacement (which will be a bugger to fit because I can't even SEE what holds the switch pack in, never mind get to it...) but I'd like to get both sets of switches working if possible.

Can anybody shed any light on this please?

Ta
Old 17 August 2006, 13:21   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Of all the PTT engines I know there has been a switch on the throttle and also on the engine, and they have both worked. Sounds like maybe your engine switch was playing up and someone has pulled the wires off. You'll need someone with a circuit diagram or who knows the engine type to advise on which connectors/loom etc it should be wired to.

Keith
Old 17 August 2006, 14:22   #3

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
I have the Evinrude version of your engine (same thing I believe, just a different cover) and mine are all connected and working. I am happy to whip the cover off and photograph the wiring if it would be of use.
Old 17 August 2006, 16:06   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
I have the Evinrude version of your engine (same thing I believe, just a different cover) and mine are all connected and working. I am happy to whip the cover off and photograph the wiring if it would be of use.
Thanks, that would be brilliant if you could, also could you note what colour wires go in and out of each side of any plugs there are, it might help me confirm whether the plug I was looking at is in fact something to do with the connection to the console switches, or whether it is just the same shape!

As I said one of the engine switches feels broken (doesn't click) so maybe that is the reason - but I still can't see where it plugs in to.