Old 15 July 2004, 19:21   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
tickover or turn off?

I have been doing some fishing from my RIB which has a new 60hp four stroke Yamaha. This involves drifting for 10 to 15 mins at a time and motoring back up to the start of the drift. Would you leave the engine ticking over or turn off and restart at the end of the drift? Whats best for the engine continual restarting or being left on tickover?
Old 15 July 2004, 19:38   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Use mine for fishing,normally turn mine off, it still stays warm for some time so shouldn't do any damage.you must be spinning for bass then,any luck.
Old 15 July 2004, 19:49   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Hello Woot, haven't seen a post from you in a while. Did you get and successfully mount your Silva S10?

I'm also a fisherman, but because mine is 2 Stroke I'd turn it off and restart it everytime.

What do you guys use to protect your tubes from hooks?

Andy
Old 15 July 2004, 20:22   #4

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
I'm hoping to progress to bass and any tips on successful tactics and tackle will be gratefully accepted. So far I have been drifting over rough ground and having some fun with pollack on jelly eels fished on lightish tackle or feathering for mackerel.
One of the reasons I like the eels is that you fish a single hook on a three foot trace and therefore the tackle / fish is easy to manage with regard to the tubes.
I have mounted the S10 but so far have gone for a simple side of the console mount which is easily removable and convenient but leaves everything very exposed. Once I'm up and running (MMSI to be put in this weekend) I'll look at protecting the unit if necessary.
Would also be interested in any info on how people transport the rods( holders etc), my A frame seems to have been designed to make it awkward to mount them conveniently.
Old 15 July 2004, 20:42   #5

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
For fishing bass and cod your'll need to switch your engine off as they get spooked, cast out slightly uptide, use a trace with two swivel hooks and try either live lug or blood worm with squid trails, for big cod fishing try stuffing a complete squid with blood worms and thread up the hook and onto the trace, this is a bit like a fishy bloody marry look for a bottom profile with ridges as the fish like to swim up and down the gullys.
If like me you cant be bothered to make up your traces you can buy them in any tackle shop pre made and ready to go, or order them over the internet, some one i know goes out and spins for mackeral and sand eels before going further out for bass, the mackeral and eels get chopped up and used for bait.

Good luck