Closed Thread

Old 05 October 2018, 19:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Regardless of whatever I run that BS about comparing having a aux outboard to life jackets on a boat however you word it or want to be quoted is nonsense, farcical and bordering delusional - that is from someone who has spent his life on the water inc a number of years saving lives on a Solent lifeboat. Sorry you might not like it but that’s my opinion from your ridiculous statement
The only ridiculous thing here is people advocating that an aux is not useful and is the real delusional BS here, including what you just spouted.

You are not the only one who has spent a life on the sea......my dad is a class one chief marine engineer, my grandad had several boats, my dad's father worked at sea, my dad's brother worked at sea, my grandad had 5 brothers, 3 of them had boats, their sons have boats now. I have been around boats ALL my life....so what is your point? A pissing contest?

You saved lives and dont think an aux is a good idea? Or relying on passing boats is a good idea? Delusional indeed.
I like how you think you can tell who and who not to reply to, REALLY delusional now.

Oh and don't reply, NOT INTERESTED.
Old 05 October 2018, 20:10   #42

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
The only ridiculous thing here is people advocating that an aux is not useful and is the real delusional BS here, including what you just spouted.

You are not the only one who has spent a life on the sea......my dad is a class one chief marine engineer, my grandad had several boats, my dad's father worked at sea, my dad's brother worked at sea, my grandad had 5 brothers, 3 of them had boats, their sons have boats now. I have been around boats ALL my life....so what is your point? A pissing contest?

You saved lives and dont think an aux is a good idea? Or relying on passing boats is a good idea? Delusional indeed.
I like how you think you can tell who and who not to reply to, REALLY delusional now.

Oh and don't reply, NOT INTERESTED.
And I stand by everything I said
Old 05 October 2018, 20:16   #43

And so do I, this is my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
I'm not convinced an aux is the way to go really.
I assume anchor up and wait on passer by or RNLI is only option if not in company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
just pottering round the south coast it doesn't really necessitate a aux, first there's sea start ( worth ever penny ) and secondly there's normally numerous boats around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Hate to burst your bubble.... quote from SeaStart's advert....

"Sea Start provides waterborne cover within (up to) a 3 mile radius of certain designated ports and harbours".

So if youre 20-30 mls offshore they're not coming to get you.

So it's back to your free convenient breakdown recovery service the RNLI. (or any other passing boater who's day you're happy to ruin)
the aux defence rests
Old 05 October 2018, 20:24   #44

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
And I stand by everything I said
You have two engines but don't see the value in it?

We don't share you opinion and I'm surprised that someone of your alleged experience holds that opinion.

PS If you're going to post this kind of BS you're going to have to live with the replies you get........sorry not your choice.
Old 05 October 2018, 20:27   #45

Quote:
And so do I, this is my point

I assume anchor up and wait on passer by or RNLI is only option if not in company.

the aux defence rests
Yet you’ve still failed to explain your ridiculous statement regarding life jackets and aux engines, which was the only reason I posted on this thread............or is it a untenable position
Old 05 October 2018, 20:28   #46

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Out of interest Xk59D, how many times have you used your aux?
Old 05 October 2018, 21:00   #47

Quote:
Yet you’ve still failed to explain your ridiculous statement regarding life jackets and aux engines, which was the only reason I posted on this thread............or is it a untenable position
Ahh, needing spoon fed?

Ok I'll feed, open wide.

People saying an aux isn't the way to go, not useful or won't do much in a swell etc are basically saying they are not much use for the OP situation, would perhaps be better with Sea start (which we now know isn't much use outside 3 miles from certain ports) or there are always plenty of passers by (which grinds my gears, if you can't be bothered to have an aux and are in no danger why should the onus be on me to tow you in? who pays if you break my boat?) even though he asked for advice on buying one!

Will an aux save you 100% of the time...NO

Will a life jacket save you 100% of the time...NO

I normally boat in company, my boat is quite high out water and seats snug, I really don't "need" a life jacket, last tango, breezeblock, pilot Willie, Callum or mills etc can drag my arse out water (May need a crane admitedly)

I have never "needed" my life jacket or flotation suit but I am not asinine enough to not wear it as I realise it CAN save my life in most situations you are likely to experience.

An aux is no different to a life jacket, it CAN save you/family or boat in most situations you are likely to experience as a responsible skipper, I am also not asinine enough to think it is golden ticket to quote fender, in that respect it is no different from a life jacket.

Ergo, RELYING on passers by with a life jacket to throw your drowning arse isn't a good idea, nor is it asking them to pull you to safety IF fitting an aux is viable option...which is EXACTLY what I said if you go look.

So, to sum up for the last time.

IMO RELYING on passers by is bordering on negligence.

suggesting an aux isn't useful, won't do much in a 2m swell is akin to saying don't wear a life jacket when it is sunny and flat calm.

Ergo, suggesting not fitting an aux is akin to suggesting don't wear a life jacket, a kill cord or whatever other safety device you care to mention. An aux, life vest, anchor, flares etc are ALL safety items and if you have the option to use/fit them then it would be wise to do so.

Edited to below to keep everyone happy.
Old 05 October 2018, 21:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
Out of interest Xk59D, how many times have you used your aux?
I use it everytime I'm not in company, every day I go out I test it before I leave the dockside. That is gods honest truth.

If you mean have I used it in anger, I would say semi anger is best I can muster on this rib. When I got bad petrol from Tesco the boat was running like a bag of spanners about a few miles from slipway and started to cut out, it cut out probably within a minute, by which time the aux was running. The reason i say semi anger is i only tried restarting it once and it cut out, it may/Probably would have ran (ish) had i kept trying? Maybe, no, who knows. Without the aux i 100% would have had a bigger problem, if anyone knows the Port Glasgow lighthouse area you will know the tide run and rocks about there.

If the aux failed on that occasion I had the anchor but no other boats about (not uncommon up here) then unfortunately I would have had to deploy the anchor and hope it caught, get onto the marina and ask for a tow or call the RNLI worst case.

The only other time I have used an aux in anger is when the Z drive blew up on v8 inboard, I was just coming off plane back into marina and BANG, no drive (no gears left ££££££) and heading towards the wall...ARGHHHH. Amazing what praying your aux starts first time can do

Edit, just to be fair-

I got a new (to me) evinrude 90hp v4 fitted many moons ago and I sailed about 20 miles home with basically a bucking Bronco, the dealer had pinched one of the carb gaskets it turned out when fitting the throttle assy and I limped it home, took about 2 hours mind

Another one my Suzuki 85 2 stroke literally cracked the block when I was out, came home on 2 cylinders at displacement speeds. To this day have no idea how or why it done it, dealer had never seen it either. It cracked when I was out for the day, just let go. No piston damage etc....weeeird.

Yamaha 55 one of carbs wasn't happy about 10 miles from home, limped home on 1.5 cylinders

So in my experience sometimes I can get home on the main, sometimes not.
Old 05 October 2018, 21:42   #49

Quote:
Ahh, needing spoon fed?

Ok I'll feed, open wide.

People saying an aux isn't the way to go, not useful or won't do much in a swell etc are basically saying they are not much use for the OP situation, would perhaps be better with Sea start (which we now know isn't much use outside 3 miles from certain ports) or there are always plenty of passers by (which grinds my gears, if you can't be bothered to have an aux and are in no danger why should the onus be on me to tow you in? who pays if you break my boat?) even though he asked for advice on buying one!

I normally boat in company, my boat is quite high out water and seats snug, I really don't "need" a life jacket, last tango, breezeblock, pilot Willie, Callum or mills etc can drag my arse out water (May need a crane admitedly)

I have never "needed" my life jacket or flotation suit but I am not asinine enough to not wear it as I realise it CAN save my life in most situations you are likely to experience.

An aux is no different to a life jacket, it CAN save you/family or boat in most situations you are likely to experience as a responsible skipper, I am also not asinine enough to think it is golden ticket to quote fender, in that respect it is no different from a life jacket.

Ergo, RELYING on passers by with a life jacket to throw your drowning arse isn't a good idea, nor is it asking them to pull you to safety IF fitting an aux is viable option...which is EXACTLY what I said if you go look.

suggesting an aux isn't useful, won't do much in a 2m swell is akin to saying don't wear a life jacket when it is sunny and flat calm.

Ergo, suggesting not fitting an aux is akin to suggesting don't wear a life jacket, a kill cord or whatever other safety device you care to mention. An aux, life vest, anchor, flares etc are ALL safety items and if you have the option to use/fit them then it would be wise to do so.

To answer another question yes I have used my aux when I got bad fuel from Tesco couple years back in recent memory, but I use it quite often for at least a couple of hours every season. It gets boring quickly when the bigger go go is working.
Lol, stopped reading a few sentences in, what a load of drivel!
Old 05 October 2018, 21:44   #50

Ahh so you were the one with the untenable position after all then! Quality biscuits

Don't like the answer? Cant disagree with it? shouldnt have asked for it I guess

The AUX defence rests ma Lord.
Old 05 October 2018, 23:38   #51

My old man just gave me this, HAVE to post it.

RNLI tips..

1. Wear life jacket-

2. Before you leave-

RNLI TOP TIP 2- CHECK YOUR ENGINE AND FUEL

BEFORE DEPARTURE:-
A second or auxiliary engine can save the day should your main engine fail. Make sure you carry enough fuel for the auxiliary as well.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/artic...nli_top_tip_2/

Oh deary me, imagine that. RNLI seem to advocate using an aux AND lifejacket, don't see begging for a tow home, must be an editorial error surely......it'll never catch on.

Old 06 October 2018, 06:54   #52

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Ahh, needing spoon fed?

Ok I'll feed, open wide.

Edited to below to keep everyone happy.
OMG, you've got serious issues
Old 06 October 2018, 07:13   #53

Quote:
+1
pottering round the south coast it doesn't really necessitate a aux, first there's sea start ( worth ever penny ) and secondly there's normally numerous boats around

Quote:
Says the guy who suggested a 3 mile breakdown service for the OP who wants to go further/offshore or thumb a lift, RNLI suggest aux is sensible......but i have issues???? pmsl, pot, kettle.

Quote:
Not saying a word..................

Only sensible thing you have said in 7 pages, pity you failed to heed.
Old 06 October 2018, 07:41   #54

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
The old auxilliary engine question.

Things happen at sea. You can do all your preparation, maintenance and conditions are near perfect and still find yourself requiring help. Personally I like to be self sufficient, given I rarely cruise in company or indeed, even see other boats given my boating area.

I've snagged my main engine on a hidden rope marking a creel pot. The float was a 2-litre bottle of Coke which was submerged. Cut the rope, but the aluminium propeller blades were bent back. I had to use claw grips to reshape them. Lot of vibration heading home, but could have been worse, considering the propeller rubber bush could have stripped.

I've also passed semi submerged logs that have probably come from Canada when on the west coast. Hate to think what would happen if the outboard made contact.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth.
Old 06 October 2018, 07:47   #55

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
yep common sense and self reliance is quite a seriuos thing
Old 06 October 2018, 09:28   #56

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Ffs, it's impossible to ask for info or have a discussion about certain topics on here. This fundamentalist attitude doesn't help anyone.

I'd *like* to use an aux when out solo but I can't figure out a way of doing it. It would be nice to brainstorm ideas on here but it always degenerates into an "I'm right you're wrong" argument!
Old 06 October 2018, 10:59   #57
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Ffs, it's impossible to ask for info or have a discussion about certain topics on here. This fundamentalist attitude doesn't help anyone.

I'm reading this thread with some relief. Relief that it's a bright sunny day, my apples need picking, the sea is calm. Relief that someone else has to bustle around and mop up this puddle of puke and then listen to the various "offended and disgusted" contributors whine to me and the Boss about how "they were wronged".
Knock yerselves out lads - the calmer heads reading it will decide who the tw@ts are, not the contributors...

Old 06 October 2018, 12:22   #58

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

I'm reading this thread with some relief. Relief that it's a bright sunny day, my apples need picking, the sea is calm. Relief that someone else has to bustle around and mop up this puddle of puke and then listen to the various "offended and disgusted" contributors whine to me and the Boss about how "they were wronged".
Knock yerselves out lads - the calmer heads reading it will decide who the tw@ts are, not the contributors...

...."Apples need Picking" ......sounds like you're still on/savouring last years Crop!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 06 October 2018, 12:39   #59

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Like all threads of this nature it’s all down to use and misuse of language with a sprinkling of misinterpretation.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
Old 06 October 2018, 13:03   #60
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
...."Apples need Picking" ......sounds like you're still on/savouring last years Crop!!
I'm actually just finishing off the last few bottles of 2016. 2017 is ready to drink (my friends have had their share for some months) and 2018 is going into the Machines in two weeks. We have a slightly different season/harvest to the Cider Counties in that our trees appear to shed their fruit a little earlier and our climate is much colder & damper. Windfalls tend to rot VERY quickly so I get them "picked" earlier than in your neck of the woods. In reality, that's done by shaking and grading followed by 2-3 weeks in storage to allow the starches to convert over to sugars.

I bottle my own stash in 750ml bottles. I find that's just a few mouthfuls less than I prefer. I worry about running out after dinner - maybe I should bottle some small 200ml auxiliary bottles rather than asking a passer-by to bring one in from the shed....