Old 05 January 2011, 18:29   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Suzuki props - UK or USA?

Just looking at getting a slightly lower pitch prop for my DF200 and got a quote from my local agent. Practically fell off my chair when they said £600 for an S/S 16x21.5. I then set about googling and naturally only came up with American suppliers, though their prices were much better at $540 +shipping. Trouble is, the part numbers are different, and I really don't fancy taking a gamble on something of this price.

So the question is, does anyone know if there really is any difference or whether it's just Suzuki trying to be awkward and confuse us punters?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2011, 19:06   #2

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
You could buy a mercury hub kit for suzuki 150-300 hp outboards #835281Q 1
and then pic any one of the hundereds of cheap merc/mariner/quicksilver props available in the US.
Old 05 January 2011, 22:49   #3

Town: Fareham
I had the same thing happen years ago when I was looking for Yam props. Essentially they were the same, just different part numbers.

What I did was to count splines and measure the diameter of the prop shaft to determine fitment. I can't see why any manufacturer would make two prop shafts different for the same basic outboard sold in different countries

I would measure your prop shaft and email the seller in the States and ask for the fitment details. If they match I would say it's a pretty safe bet.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2011, 23:25   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
You could buy a mercury hub kit for suzuki 150-300 hp outboards #835281Q 1
and then pic any one of the hundereds of cheap merc/mariner/quicksilver props available in the US.

Lots of Merc props in the UK too. What pitch are you looking for?
Old 06 January 2011, 08:59   #5

Town: Worthing
Boat name: None
Make: Narwal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF60
Hi Erin,
The Suzuki props are made by Solas. You could try the UK importer which is Steel Developments for a better price that Suzuki GB retail. The correct part number for this prop in the US is 99105-00800-215. Price I found was $537.95 US + shipping and import tax.
Hope this might help.
Aquatec.
Old 06 January 2011, 09:02   #6

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Used a SOLAS brand prop for quite a few years, good prop. Do not know what their ST/ST ones are like.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2011, 09:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatec View Post
Hi Erin,
The Suzuki props are made by Solas. You could try the UK importer which is Steel Developments for a better price that Suzuki GB retail. The correct part number for this prop in the US is 99105-00800-215. Price I found was $537.95 US + shipping and import tax.
Hope this might help.
Aquatec.
Thanks for that Aquatec. I did speak to Steel Dev at the end of last year, but as I'm sure youknow all aftermarket props are a smaller diameter, so it's not just a straightforward matter of choosing the next size pitch down. I currently run a 16 x 23, and was looking for a 16 x 21.5. If I go for a Solas 14.75 diameter, what pitch would I need?? Here endeth the calculations and starteth the art
Old 06 January 2011, 09:24   #8

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Keith, if you were to invest in a Quicksilver hub kit I've got various 3 and 4 blade 14.75" props for you to try. Both GJ0KYZ and I have seen big overall improvements with 4 blades so well worth a try. Once you've got data from one prop then at least you've got a datum to work from.
Old 06 January 2011, 09:41   #9

Ah, ok. That sounds like a damn fine idea. I've got enquiries out to a couple of people including my friendly Suzuki agent in Gue, so it'll be good to see their thoughts as well. I 'spose GT Marine will probably have a hub kit.
Old 06 January 2011, 10:09   #10

Merc props @ full retail are a similar price but there's a lot more choice, specially in 2nd hand. What's your top speed? I've got a 19" 4 blade which would suit a wot speed of 45 ish knots at a guess. It would be similar to a 21" 3 blade.
I'm guessing that the profile of yours is such that your 26" dia is giving a similar pitch comparison to the merc props, ie in terms of merc 14.75" 3 blades, a 23" would be close if not slightly big for your boat. Although I'm not considering the likely reduced max rpm range of your 4 stroke.
The one thing I found when experimenting was the lower fuel consumption of a small pitch. Obviously you need to make sure you don't exceed max rpm (but that's what rev limiters are for) and you'll probably see your top speed drop a knot or two. But you don't fly around at WOT so it's not really an issue
Old 06 January 2011, 10:41   #11

I'm hitting about 5,200 lightly loaded with my 16 x 23 and getting 46ish kts. I would have thought a 14.75 x 23 x 3 would be a tad small but may be worth a try. A 4 blade would be interesting. Engine is rated between 5,000 and 6,000rpm
Old 06 January 2011, 11:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I would have thought a 14.75 x 23 x 3 would be a tad small
So if I told you I reckon a 21" would be about right, you probably wouldn't believe me

I guess we'll find out soon

If you're seeing 5200 with a light load then there's certainly improvements to be had
Old 06 January 2011, 11:18   #13

So if dropping from 23" to 21" raises the rpm by about 500 for the same size diameter, what does reducing the diameter from 16" to 14.75" do as well.
Old 06 January 2011, 11:22   #14

Quote:
Thanks for that Aquatec. I did speak to Steel Dev at the end of last year, but as I'm sure youknow all aftermarket props are a smaller diameter, so it's not just a straightforward matter of choosing the next size pitch down. I currently run a 16 x 23, and was looking for a 16 x 21.5. If I go for a Solas 14.75 diameter, what pitch would I need?? Here endeth the calculations and starteth the art
Another thought just occurred to me, yes bit quiet at work today

Pitch is the displacement of the prop, ie a 21" pitch prop would move forward a theoretical 21" through a solid mass (no slip).

Therefore any DIAMETER prop of a certain pitch would be comparable to another of equal pitch, they'll both move through a solid mass the same distance per revolution. Obviously discounting all the other variables, surface area, cupping, etc.

Or am I talking sh*t again?
Old 06 January 2011, 11:32   #15

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I purchased 2 S/S Suzuki props from Brownspoint Marine in USA without any problems. They are also great for Suzuki spares etc. However, having purchased a new 21in pitch to replace the 19in one I was very disappointed with the results. In the end a 4-bladed 19in prop provided the best solution. The moral is.......... borrow and try before you buy!!
Old 06 January 2011, 11:34   #16

I think you've been thinking too hard . Your theory would be fine in a solid (e.g driving a screw into a plank of wood) but useless in a liquid. Slip and hydraulic action all comes into play somewhere.

Try seeing how fast you go with one engine only on Martini II. Second engine doesn't add anything to the overall movement through the effects of pitch alone, it just doubles the surface area of blade in contact with the water.
Old 06 January 2011, 11:59   #17

I was wrong once before, long time ago but it has happened

My old Crompton would make a good comparison, 6.7m, single 200hp, topped out at around 47/48 knots. That was swinging a 21" mirage iirc, or may have been a laser II. Might have been a tad small but given your slightly lower top speed this would balance out.

I'll get you a price for the hub kit
Old 06 January 2011, 12:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I'll get you a price for the hub kit
Cheers
Old 06 January 2011, 15:40   #19

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
So if dropping from 23" to 21" raises the rpm by about 500 for the same size diameter, what does reducing the diameter from 16" to 14.75" do as well.
I've always heard approx. 100 rpm per 1/4" of pitch. General rule, rather than written in stone, of course; I have never bothered to verify or discount the rule of thumb.

jky
Old 06 January 2011, 20:16   #20

Quote:
I was wrong once before, long time ago but it has happened
Is this what you are referring to.... joining Ribnet and not bolting your engine on properly

Quote:
Hi to everyone, I've just come across this forum recently and thought I would introduce myself to you all!

My name is Matt, im 31 and have owned my 6.7m Crompton for the last 8 years. It has been out of action for the last 2 years as the oil pump failed on my Ficht 150 and didnt bother to tell me! 2 years previous to that the original motor, an Evinrude intruder 150 fell of the back at 45 knots! So I've just bought a '99 Mariner 200 carb model and am rigging it at the moment so fingers crossed will be back in the water very soon!

Looking forward to being an active member of this interesting and informative site,

Matt