Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 07 July 2011, 09:50   #1

Town: south wales
Length: 4m +
suzuki dt50 not starting.....help..!!!

Hi,
Had a full service on the engine. After buying a new starter motor and battery for the engine it started..!!! Took it for a quick spin , everything was working fine, healthy telltale, plenty of revs.....then it just stopped..!!!
Not knowing alot about the engine, but i'm starting to learn alot more, I sprayed carb cleaner into the carbs, the engine fired up and ran for about 20 secs before cutting out again. The engine is turning over but not firing. Took the fuel pump apart and checked it, seems fine ( i think ? ), checked to see if the fuel was flowing through it...all seemed ok.
So any ideas......i don't know when the carbs were cleaned last and i'm a little reluctant to start pulling them apart myself ....... could it be the carbs ????
Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08 July 2011, 18:55   #2

Town: leeds, England
Boat name: RIB Tickler
Make: AVON SR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 50 HP
Stop and Check

Before embarking on stripping the outboard. Check the following. IS THE FUEL OLD or contain water.

1 Is your priming bulb in good condition Ie very soft and pliable. If you are unsure how soft it should be you should be able to squash it flat, when empty, between your thumb and one finger.

2. Is the vent opening on your tank cap. Had this problem some years back vent only partially opened allowing the engine to be primed with fuel but providing enough back pressure to stop the pump from working.

3. Are the fuel ends allowing fuel to pass.

To test all the above and the fuel line remove the connector on the outboard end of your fuel line and place fuel line in a clean Jar/ container. Connect the other end to your fuel tank and gentley sqeeze bulb. With tank above container Fuel should flow freely into it. Replace fuel into tank its too dear to waste.

If this proves that all is well Re-fit outboard connection to fuel line. Before connecting to outboard turn the engine over untill the filter (Clear plastic container on the fuel line under the outboard lid Either left or right hand side.) shows a drop in fuel.Note if there is sediment in the bottom change the filter Change it. Now prime the fuel and see the bowl refill.

Try to restart.

If it fails to start remove the spark plugs and check they are wet.
Old 09 July 2011, 08:24   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Have you got a spark? Do you have the correct spark plug in? Stick some new fuel in or try off a small container, ensure fuel is getting to the plugs and see if a spark is produced each time you turn her over.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2011, 09:20   #4

Town: sheffield
Make: zodiac gt II
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
the fact it started for 20 sec when you spray carb cleaner or fuel throu the carb says no fuel getting in follow what rib t above says realy good advice .

also take out the plug drop a little fuel down the hole and replace if it starts ok then you know for deff its a fuel problem and not electrical .

watch a couple of youtube how to,s
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote