Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 13 February 2016, 13:29   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Suzuki DF20AS 4-stroke new - Any opinions?

I've been very happy with my two Mariner/Mercury 15hp 2-strokes used on several SIBs over the past few years and now on the Aerotec.

However having a bit of a "what if" chat with the Mrs today and I'm considering buying a new Suzuki BF20AS. Reason is to get the extra 33% power and for a new engine to take us into and through the next 10yrs SIB use.

This Suzuki at 44kg is getting close to the holy grail 36kg 15hp 2-strokes so perhaps time to consider one.

Anyone running a current model BF20 or one in the similar 15-25hp range??
Old 13 February 2016, 17:17   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I am running the Df 25a manual 3 cylinder 63 kg 2015 absolutely brilliant great on fuel sounds same as my 90df I had, and loads of power.
I think the 20 is a two cylinder and will make the aerotec fly you will still be under the 100kg boat and engine combo spot on David. I think they still have the security code offer on too worth £40.
Seamark nunn have an offer on this week I got mine from Ron hale marine around £2600 instead of over £3000
Charging kit £106.00 if you need that.

Cheers
Old 14 February 2016, 09:15   #3

Thanks Jeff it seems this could be a real possibility. I'm going to run over to the local dealers early next week and see if they have one to look at.... it happens they have a deal on at the moment within £15 of Seamark Nunn.

Still be interested to hear of others experience of these motors.
Old 14 February 2016, 14:10   #4

RIBase
Ron hale selling 20hp @£2150 for info, let me know if you want some pics if the dealer hasn't anything in, they are really good on fuel with the lean burn tech you won't be disappointed, good luck with your choice don't forget to ask about the free data tag system if it's still on, the Suzuki web site will confirm that though.

Cheers
Old 14 February 2016, 14:16   #5

Thanks for mentioning Ron Hale. They appear to be the price to beat/match so it's a target for the local dealer to get near. Does the EFI way of operating have any quirks or is it like a modern petrol car with the same tech that will start as well cold as hot and pull evenly through the rev range?

How about service costs and requirements to keep the warranty up?
Old 14 February 2016, 14:49   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks for mentioning Ron Hale. They appear to be the price to beat/match so it's a target for the local dealer to get near. Does the EFI way of operating have any quirks or is it like a modern petrol car with the same tech that will start as well cold as hot and pull evenly through the rev range?

How about service costs and requirements to keep the warranty up?
Ross at Ron hale is a great bloke price wise best I've seen I went down to pick mine up only reason was wanted other stuff so did it in one go.

Starting wise same as a car all auto the engine decompresses it's self for easy starting one pull on mine hot or cold and it's away nice and quiet.
I am still running mine in but up to 3000rpm she's as sweat as a nut plenty of power in fact more power than I need my boat is a 3.8m really just got stubby cone ends and weighs in at 100kg proberbly 150kg loaded plus my 18 stone so a 20hp for you will be spot on.
Service costs not sure but why not try getting a deal with your local dealer.
This is my third DF & fifth Suzuki had no problems, I wouldn't say I am hung on suzuki's because I have had two new yams too no probs with them either and to be honest all the main makes are good.
Worth getting on the Ron hale site to compare all engines I printed off all that I was interested in and sat for a few weeks before I decided but this is the time to buy
Hope that helps let me know if you need any pics happy to help

Cheers
Old 14 February 2016, 17:04   #7

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
You should give Yellow Penguin a call down in Poole a call. They have recently had some great deals on Suzuki outboards.
Old 15 February 2016, 11:32   #8

Thanks for the comments re suppliers with good prices but as dealer servicing at 20hrs... and then yearly... is a requirement of the Suzuki 5yr warranty happy to pay a little over the absolute minimum to establish a relationship with the local dealer.

It seems Honda will allow a "competent" person to carry out services while maintaining the warranty just as long as Honda parts are used... Suzuki insist it is only dealers who can service within the warranty period.
Old 15 February 2016, 11:49   #9

RIBase
not knocking Honda in any way but when the s--t hits the fan what do they deem competent it might be me but if there's a way out!
Old 15 February 2016, 12:27   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
not knocking Honda in any way but when the s--t hits the fan what do they deem competent it might be me but if there's a way out!

👍+1 in my line of work, to be deemed competent, you don't just have do the training, you also have to be able to prove experience, via logbook, references etc. "Competent" is gradually moving towards a legal definition.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2016, 12:29   #11

>>>what do they deem competent it might be me but if there's a way out!

Yes indeed. I know I'm competent... ha ha... but proving it in a warranty fight is another thing.

The local Suzuki dealer are talking about £45 for the 20hr post running-in service and £100 for a yearly. OK so I usually try for best value and it's £70+ a year more than DIY but overall SIBs are so cheap to own/run in the scheme of life it's nothing.

Edit: As PD says the meaning of competent could be elevated to you needing to be a dealer to meet the requirements. For example I ran my own motor engineers business for near on 20yrs so I'm familiar with far more complex machinery but it could be shown I had no experience of EFI outboards or the brand so... sorry mate claim rejected.

Not worth faffing about to risk that for a just £70/yr saved.
Old 15 February 2016, 13:21   #12

RIBase
to be honest David you will probably do a better job yourself but that doesn't cut for them the one thing for me is they should stick it on the computer and do extensive checks on first service according to the service manual to make sure all set up OK so it puts it on them and for £70 as you say peace of mind.
on my 90 hp had it serviced till the 5 year then did it myself took the gearbox off to fit a new impeller no o-ring fitted to the pump just sikoflex really peed off.

cheers
Old 15 February 2016, 15:07   #13

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I have come to realise that the professional service may not be all that professional.
Old 15 February 2016, 15:15   #14

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
I run a Susi DF20AC long shaft on my 4.2 Aerotec fantastic engine very economical,quiet and powerful,still very splashy over the transom though at full chat
Old 15 February 2016, 15:17   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I have come to realise that the professional service may not be all that professional.
totally agree mick sorry to say take your car in and you can bet the lad gets to practice on it i am all for learning but not at my expense
Old 15 February 2016, 15:25   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
I run a Susi DF20AC long shaft on my 4.2 Aerotec fantastic engine very economical,quiet and powerful,still very splashy over the transom though at full chat
That splash seems to be common with the Aerotec not common to a specific engine interesting ?
Fenlander will be along soon for performance figures
Interestingly I googled aerotec on google images there's a boat on there with a trim tab affair right across the transom to prevent splash
Old 18 February 2016, 19:36   #17

Well finally family life allowed a window to get down the dealers and look at the Suzuki DF20 today.

They only had a longshaft/no tiller/remotes version in stock but it gave me the chance to examine the model type.

Happy with the look and quality of everything but as a lifetime pre-2006 outboard owner need to get my head round so much use of plastics compared to the tank-like 2-strokes of old.

Looking at it in the flesh and talking to the shop guy getting quite keen on the idea of a no-carb fuel injection 4-stroke... I reckon there is far less opportunity for "stale" fuel and ethanol in the fuel to trouble this system compared with a multi-passaged carb.

The other issue is the very bulky nature of the hood and powerhead panels. Compared to my Mercury 15hp 2-stroke the hood is 2" wider, 1.5" taller and a whole 8" deeper back to front! This will look a bit more bloaty mounted on the Aerotec but more important might just affect the very particular way we have to pack it into the car loadspace surrounded by other kit bearing in mind it has to lie flat on one side which isn't how we normally transport the outboard.

Probably will buy one but just going to think it through for 24hrs before they get our cash.
Old 19 February 2016, 07:25   #18

RIBase
good that you have got round to having a look and your right bulkier than the two stroke lot more to the engine though i was surprised when i got the 25 its a big as the old 40 mariner i had in size but it looks OK on my 365.lots of plastic yes the 90 i had was the same but its very durable bends easy not like the old cowls which cracked and they have to get the weight down some how.
fuel wise i just treat mine every year and in my 11 years of owning a four stroke no problems handy if you have a petrol car to put what you dont use in it.

packing was always going to be an issue if it were me i would adopt the gurnard method put the engine on a sack barrow or make a wood frame to sit it up right instead of on its side, i traveled up from Portsmouth with mine on its side didn't care for it at leaste if on a frame it will have the normal point of contact the clamp plus one for the leg bottom.
pics as a comparison.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0653.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	110832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0644.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	110833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0649.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	110834  
Old 19 February 2016, 16:03   #19

Thanks Jeff. Travelling it needs a bit of thought. My estate car isn't tall enough in the loadspace to have it upright. Because it can only lie on a specific side then if on a sack truck type thing then the truck wold need to be large enough for the outboard to pivot on its steering while on the truck to be on its side in the required manner.

The dealer had a lateral thought to this. In discussing our needs he realised we were only pushed for space on our two week Scottish jaunts so he wondered if I would be happy to drain the oil off on the to/fro trips... that's doable I reckon then it can go any way round in the car.

I'd also be very pleased to hear from someone with the 20 to know what prop pitch it shipped with. Even Suzuki say you can't be sure as they are fitted with props somewhat at random in the factory. I mention it as I've seen a few posts other places about them hitting the rev limiter on the supplied prop. I think they can have a 9, 10 or 11" and I'd have thought a 10" best as my 15hp has a 9".
Old 19 February 2016, 17:21   #20

RIBase
So if the engine rests on the clamps starter cord on the floor not enough height in your car then that's a shame.draining oil could work especially if you time it with a service get them not to fill with oil and you do it when you get there bit of a faff but doable.
Prop wise been there I spoke direct to Suzuki because of all the variables and there are lots they carnt give a definitive answer best is to get the engine see what's fitted and go from there it will be somewhere near just will need a fine tune working on the 150-200 lose /gain on 1 inch of pitch, with the lighter boat your running if you pitch up too far it might not be that crucial, OMO but I am going to go with this prop get it run in do some trials then buy a spare prop and go up in pitch so I can have a crusing prop as I did with my rib and a spare for piece of mind.
M Thornton has a 4.2 with a 20 you won't be far wrong following him only 400 MM length difference I take it shaft length is the same good starting point
Props for yours 7,8,9,10,11 on mine 10/14 x 11 for info

Cheers