Old 02 January 2022, 15:40   #1

Town: Croydon
Boat name: Excel SD330
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Suzuki 6hp Outboard advise

Hi all, been out a few times with my Suzuki 6hp and I started by using just the internal tank, which is fine, however I have found the need to top up when it’s not the best place to stop in the river, I’ve just brought an external tank and correct fittings, it’s not here as yet but I wanted to know how you guys get it going, engine tap to the external tank, open the vent in external tanks and pump the bulb till hard ? Is that all I need to do ? Thanks Rich
Old 03 January 2022, 15:17   #2

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Hi Rich1jd, if it’s the current model 4 stroke, then it’s same as mine.
I connect to the fuel line from external tank to outboard fitting.
Open vent on both internal and external tanks, and make sure fuel tap is set to eternal tank use. Then prime the fuel line by squeezing the bulb, until it feels fairly hard. You should be good to go then.
When finishing your trip( or when flushing engine after use)you can run the engine with pipe disconnected at tank end, to use up some fuel from the pipe ( views do differ on this, but I tend to do so) I also keep an old fuel line with no fitting at the engine end.
I find it easier/ less messy topping up the internal tank this way, by pumping the bulb. I do occasionally run on internal tank , but only on a short run close to shore.
Hope that helps
Old 03 January 2022, 15:30   #3

Town: Croydon
Boat name: Excel SD330
Make: Excel
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Hi Rich1jd, if it’s the current model 4 stroke, then it’s same as mine.
I connect to the fuel line from external tank to outboard fitting.
Open vent on both internal and external tanks, and make sure fuel tap is set to eternal tank use. Then prime the fuel line by squeezing the bulb, until it feels fairly hard. You should be good to go then.
When finishing your trip( or when flushing engine after use)you can run the engine with pipe disconnected at tank end, to use up some fuel from the pipe ( views do differ on this, but I tend to do so) I also keep an old fuel line with no fitting at the engine end.
I find it easier/ less messy topping up the internal tank this way, by pumping the bulb. I do occasionally run on internal tank , but only on a short run close to shore.
Hope that helps
Perfect many thanks that’s brilliant 😊

Tags
outboard, suzuki