Old 11 April 2010, 19:15   #1

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Suz 150 failing to start

Has anyone with this type, level of complexity, outboard ever had the situation where turning the key causes nothing....no instruments,no beep,no click from the sol,nothing...I've made sure the kill cord is attached ,I've checked the primary fuse to the engine I've used a meter and between the Starter power and earth I'm getting 12.8vts.....?

Anybody more knowledgable think of anything else I could check?

thanks in advance..
Old 11 April 2010, 19:19   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Do the lights come on on the tacho/gauges? Does it do it's little needle jump to show you engine hours? If not, I would suspect a power problem. There are two supplies to the larger Suzy's. The main battery leads and a smaller 15Amp supply for the electronics. This 2nd supply is fused, so I'd check that. It is a white wire int eh loom, and can receive power at either the engine end or the gauges end.
Old 11 April 2010, 19:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Do the lights come on on the tacho/gauges? Does it do it's little needle jump to show you engine hours? If not, I would suspect a power problem. There are two supplies to the larger Suzy's. The main battery leads and a smaller 15Amp supply for the electronics. This 2nd supply is fused, so I'd check that. It is a white wire int eh loom, and can receive power at either the engine end or the gauges end.
Cheers Erin,

I'll check the second power supply. The gauges/tacho show no signs of life. there is no beep either. would a blown fuse on this supply, affect the engine turning over as there is absolutely nothing happening....
Old 11 April 2010, 19:41   #4

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
suzi

Erin IS 100% CORRECT . It will definetly be that other power supply . This WIRE has caused so many problem's . I have seen the little fuse in them corrode away as boat builders have fitted these engines and run the wiring under the deck . IF you need a wiring diagram let me know
Old 11 April 2010, 20:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outboardtech View Post
Erin IS 100% CORRECT . It will definetly be that other power supply . This WIRE has caused so many problem's . I have seen the little fuse in them corrode away as boat builders have fitted these engines and run the wiring under the deck . IF you need a wiring diagram let me know
Thanks outboardtech, could you let me have the diagram, the position of the fuse would be useful if the boatbuilders don't follow a set system. I have found a fuse (normal spade type) in the fusebox but seperate to the main board; I was working on the assumption that this was the fuse?.....I suppose as I'm getting 12vts at the starter, it is looking likely to be the culprit...is it unusual to look at?
thanks again...
Old 11 April 2010, 21:28   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
The fuse could be anywhere. When I rigged my engine, I cut off the Suzuki fuse holder and ran a power lead straight from the fusebox that supplies all my gizmos onboard. Where all your gauges connect into the loom, look for a white wire. This will either run under the deck to the engine end of the boat where it will get power from the starter cables via the fuse, or it will run to the battery in the console or wherever again with a fuse somewhere along its length. Do a search for suzuki wiring diagrams, because I'm pretty sure I've posted the wiring diagram before.
Old 15 April 2010, 15:17   #7

found the fault,it was down to me...the trim switch wires had worked through the self amalgamating tape ( i thought this was a good idea ) it was shorting via the control cable to the engine popping the 15amp fuse talked about here..so no fault of the builder or suzuki.. down to me.
Old 15 April 2010, 16:35   #8

Town: Fareham
Glad you got it sorted but does highlight the need for doing things properly. Well done for coming clean!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote