Old 27 April 2012, 18:07   #1

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Submerged Engine...

Ive got a thundercat & one day im bound to flip it! how do you go about flushing the engine through & getting it started again???
Old 27 April 2012, 18:16   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Post 6 on here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/crazy-yo...deo-47739.html

If it was me I'd tale plugs out spin it over to expel any water then put the plugs in and restart it.
It'll want a good wash down once back ashore too...
Old 27 April 2012, 18:22   #3

cheers! thought it might of been harder than that. Would it need new plugs or should they still be ok?
Old 27 April 2012, 18:32   #4

Others might correct me but I'd be happy to leave em in, I'd wash everything off in fresh water afterwards and give it a spray with WD40 or ACF50.
Old 27 April 2012, 18:49   #5

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
2 or 4 stroke?
Old 27 April 2012, 18:51   #6

Probably a 50hp Twatsoo 2 stroke....
Old 27 April 2012, 19:03   #7

Town: Pwllheli
Boat name: GreenSeaPhotography
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Johnson 115hp
Wash with fresh water then remove the plugs. Then trunning it over but for the first time be very gentle pulling the starter cored. If you go too hard it can cause hydrolic squeeze as the water cant get out fast enough which can crack and bend things. Pull about 50-70 times, which isnt that hard as the pluggs are out. Put the pluggs in finger tight and crank 10 times. Pluggs out and crank again 20-30 time to get the last of the water out. You can blow on the pluggs to dry and dip in some petrol and then put them back in tights and put the caps back on. The prime the fuel bulb and choke out and if poss get someone to hold the throttle flat out and give it a go.
The more time you spend getting the water out the better chance of starting. This is what we do with the Lifeboat's 50hp Mariners.
Old 27 April 2012, 19:29   #8

Cheers guys!! Great help & yeah its a race tuned Tohatsu 50 2 stroke
Old 28 April 2012, 07:27   #9

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Go and see the Thundercat people in Southampton - Fiona Pascoe is lovely and they can teach how to do all of that and how to drive it quickly - then go racing!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 08:19   #10

yeah, i was planning on ringing them to race next year
Old 28 April 2012, 12:35   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeboatman3 View Post
Wash with fresh water then remove the plugs. Then trunning it over but for the first time be very gentle pulling the starter cored. If you go too hard it can cause hydrolic squeeze as the water cant get out fast enough which can crack and bend things. Pull about 50-70 times, which isnt that hard as the pluggs are out. Put the pluggs in finger tight and crank 10 times. Pluggs out and crank again 20-30 time to get the last of the water out. You can blow on the pluggs to dry and dip in some petrol and then put them back in tights and put the caps back on. The prime the fuel bulb and choke out and if poss get someone to hold the throttle flat out and give it a go.
The more time you spend getting the water out the better chance of starting. This is what we do with the Lifeboat's 50hp Mariners.
For general SiBBErs as above but on some engines if its fitted with a carb theres usually a small drain screw on the bottom of the bowl that can be Slackened to drain out any fuel/water that can be purged out using the priming bulb ,
(as a matter of intrest some of the older d class engines had a larger handle/valve fitted in place so it wasent as fiddly with a screw driver )

reason i am saying this is you shouldednt get any water in the fuel tank if your using a sealed flexi /bladder tank on say a zapcat but for anyone else that capsizes with a normal fuel tank a slight amount water can and usually does get drawn in through the air blead screw on the fuel tank owing to the water tempeture then cooling and causing a vacume in the tank ,
that is is if the tanks not strapped down or it can touch the water level.
Old 28 April 2012, 16:22   #12

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
bottom plug is all that is needed on the three cylinder 2 stroke. Open the carb to get as much fuel through as possible and turn it over a good few times. Plug back in and get it running and keep it running for a good amount of time to get it hot. Touch wood I have never had to do this with my zapcat but I have done it on other peoples. Best to try to stay the right way up ;-)
Old 01 May 2012, 20:33   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: n/a
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: 1966 9.5HP Sportwin
Hi, I'm new on here and have no experience with outboards but I do have a book out from the library called outboard maintenance by ed sherman. He talks about saving drowned engines towards the end and on top of draining the carbs and getting the water out of the cylinders as already mentioned, he also recommends removing all the electrical equipment, rinsing, drying, dowsing with wd40 and then drying again before reinstalling. Even then apparently if the coils on the engine aren't completely epoxy sealed then these could still fail prematurely.
Hope that helps
Old 01 May 2012, 21:00   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic305
Hi, I'm new on here and have no experience with outboards but I do have a book out from the library called outboard maintenance by ed sherman. He talks about saving drowned engines towards the end and on top of draining the carbs and getting the water out of the cylinders as already mentioned, he also recommends removing all the electrical equipment, rinsing, drying, dowsing with wd40 and then drying again before reinstalling. Even then apparently if the coils on the engine aren't completely epoxy sealed then these could still fail prematurely.
Hope that helps
most modern engines are A bit more water resistant and forgiving than the older points ignition ones , but you only need some salt crystals left in a hidden void ,cracks in the epoxy seals on coils ect or getting inside a grommet or wiring connections for it to start corrosion issues or bad electric problems a few months later even if using copies amount of wd40 and the like .