Old 05 September 2012, 20:48   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Stupid Engine Mounts!!!

Just before heading out for the airshow I noticed there was significant play in the outboard - on checking the lower engine mounts (cylindrical metalastic bushes) had failed causing the leg of the engine (1998 Merc 90) to slide back and forth about 70mm.

Already noted a lot of corrosion around the top mounts / top of the steerer tube when I bought the boat and could see that the lower mounts were rough so no big surprise and glad that I noticed they had failed.

However this is the 3rd outboard I've changed mounts on and I still can't understand

1) why manufacturers don't use stainless bolts and mounts that don't require engine block removal (can anyone tell me if there are any 100hp + outboards which have changeable mounts without the powerhead removal - I might buy one next time!)

2) how stupidly expensive the mounts are! £250 for 4 mounts and a gasket!! Last time I took the old to about a dozen motor factors some of whom could almost but not exactly match the mounts with bushes from various cars. The equivalent car bushes were retailling at about £10 each, I know they are more massed produced but even so think £70-80 each is too high! Is there a solution to make mounts out of something / use rigid mounts/ something cheaper? I've ordered these ones now, but would be keen to know for next time.

I think the poor roads here may partly to blame, towing back and forth from kimmeridge and poole the roads are pretty poor in places. The engine tilted up is going to sway a lot. There isn't really a clever way to support it as far as I can see - tilt up and lock - anyone suggest any better?

Sorry for the moan. Rant over!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050004.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	71877   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050005.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	71878   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050008.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	71879  
Old 05 September 2012, 22:07   #2

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Tilt up and lower onto wooden block between engine and saddle.

ratchet strap across tilted engine to stop it moving.

will post a piccy when I take it out next as its lowered at the moment.

:-)
Old 10 September 2012, 11:27   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
It's not a new problem. Same thing with a 1970s Clamshell / Blueband 50 / 60......

I think the problem is to make them look "sleek" above the water line, the mounts are hidden inside. Why they can't design the mouts to last is another rant.....