Old 09 May 2005, 20:44   #1

Town: Bury
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/15hp
stiff throttle

hi all i have noticed my throttle is getting stiffer so took the side off and there are two metal tube sliders that slide inside each other i put some grease on them and seem to have made it worse what is the solution to this prob . i dont think its the cables though thanks mark
Old 09 May 2005, 20:47   #2

Town: Bury
Boat name: honwave
Make: honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/15hp
stiff steering

also noticed steering stiffer than usual the steering is cable and there is a rod that pushes the engine from side to side does that need greasing and what type of grease is best thanks mark
Old 10 May 2005, 08:29   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
The "Quicksilver" side mounted control boxes have a habit of getting really stiff with age. I took mine apart and greased it quite heavily, although it's still stiff! Other brands probably suffer with the same problems.

As for the steering, there should be a couple of grease nipples on the tube which runs through the outbaord where your steering cable goes. You could try getting some grease into these. Use a waterproof grease, I use something called "Auqa lube" or "Aqua glide" can't remember which. If not replace the steering cable!
Old 10 May 2005, 11:07   #4

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
The "Quicksilver" side mounted control boxes have a habit of getting really stiff with age. I took mine apart and greased it quite heavily, although it's still stiff! Other brands probably suffer with the same problems.

As for the steering, there should be a couple of grease nipples on the tube which runs through the outbaord where your steering cable goes. You could try getting some grease into these. Use a waterproof grease, I use something called "Auqa lube" or "Aqua glide" can't remember which. If not replace the steering cable!
Tims correct, though i had an old Evinrude up until late last year that the grease seals had corroded away to nothing on, the stearing bar used to stick tight if the boat wasn't used for a few weeks, a sharp tap with a club hammer did the trick

My Yam control box has a screw at the front to loosen or tighten the throttle
Old 10 May 2005, 13:34   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Tim, the grease nipples on the outboard only grease the saddle bearings (the ones the outboard raises up and down on) rather than the steering tube. Almost impossible to get grease in the engine end of a steering cable. Agree with Tim though the quicksilver throttle boxes are awful.

Before you grease anything else are the cables running in nice wide loops with no tight spots or twists particularly at the throttle end. Quicksilver also have a throttle friction control so would be worth having a look at that too. Try the box without the cables attached as it could be the cables.

Pete