Old 17 April 2010, 15:23   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Length: 10m +
Sticking Trim Indicator

The Honda trim gauge on my starboard outboard is sticking, ie as the engine is trimmed up or down the gauge doesn't respond for a good few minutes, although the needle does seem to settle in the right position eventually.
Now this is a pain, but not sure whether it's worth paying a technician to sort out. Can anyone tell me how these trim indicators work, and whether there is anything simple I can do to remedy the fault (eg what the right place might be for a judicious squirt of WD40).Thanks
Old 17 April 2010, 18:35   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraft View Post
The Honda trim gauge on my starboard outboard is sticking, ie as the engine is trimmed up or down the gauge doesn't respond for a good few minutes, although the needle does seem to settle in the right position eventually.
Now this is a pain, but not sure whether it's worth paying a technician to sort out. Can anyone tell me how these trim indicators work, and whether there is anything simple I can do to remedy the fault (eg what the right place might be for a judicious squirt of WD40).Thanks
lift the engine fully up and on the left hand side just under the outboard saddle is a small black lever with a spring around it...

you need to undo the cross head screw and pull off the lever along with the spring.
clean it up in wd 40 replace it and check to see if the lever moves up and down freely.
if so sorted.
if not loosen the screw a little and check again.
if this is the case a small locking washer and try again.

The unit itself is not serviceable but the spring and lever are.
Old 19 April 2010, 16:04   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Just replaced the trim sensor on my Yam F115. Prior to ordering the new part ($140US), I pulled the old on off, soaked it in hot water, then warm white vinegar (to try and break up the salt), then flooded it with PB Blaster (a penetrating oil, which is probably not ideal for internal O-Rings, but it was a last ditch thing.) End result was a sensor which would turn, but only with a large pair of Vise Grips grabbing the turny bit. The little plastic arm thing didn't stand a chance of doing anything.

Sort of thinking about globbing a bunch of heavy grease around the spindle of the new part to help keep salt water out, but it's already been installed, and there are other projects waiting, so...

jky