Old 05 July 2018, 19:20   #1

Town: northampton
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 stroke
steering setting ?.

I am still in the process of rebuilding my 2004 futura, whilst refitting the rebuilt ultraflex steering assembly to my 40hp mariner I have found that it turns to the left by 1.5 turns of the wheel and right by 2.5 turns.
I have no issues with a sticking cable or steering tube and no matter what I try I am unable to get equal turns left and right the limiting factor seems to be the "steering arm" ( the dog leg shape bar that connects the outboard to the steering cable/rod) if it was 2-3 inches longer it would allow for the outboard to turn more, everything is fitted as it came apart, is this common ? can I buy a longer one or am I missing something glaringly obvious thanks.
Old 05 July 2018, 22:25   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
You can get different length link bars or you can get adjustable length ones
Old 06 July 2018, 08:02   #3

I have seen longer link arms and the adjustable ones but this is a one owner craft and nothing has been changed since new so just wondered if I had done something wrong, the boat must have always turned tighter in one direction than the other ?.
Old 06 July 2018, 09:28   #4

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
From my very limited experience of cable steering systems and assuming that it all worked before servicing........

Is there scope for the solid (engine) end of the tube sleeve to be moved laterally in its bracket? i.e. do you need to set the steering travel midway between lock to lock, centralize engine and then clamp the sleeve in place? Some also have a screw adjustment to help achieve neutral.

A few pictures might help.
Old 06 July 2018, 12:42   #5

Thanks for the reply, I have tried adjusting the steering tube that runs across the back of the outboard I gained about 1/4 inch of travel but not enough to make any difference to the steering angle of the outboard the more I look in to it I can not see any other way of adjustment as the steering link arm is the limiting factor, perhaps it has always been like this.
The current arm is 10.5 inches long I think I would need one approximately 12.5 inches to get the same amount of steering angle left and right.
Old 10 July 2018, 14:03   #6

I have solved my issue by making a bracket which attaches to the outboard and moves the bolt hole for the steering arm to the left by 30mm now the steering is equal in both directions ?.
Old 01 September 2018, 09:56   #7

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2mille View Post
I have solved my issue by making a bracket which attaches to the outboard and moves the bolt hole for the steering arm to the left by 30mm now the steering is equal in both directions ?.
Bszzd