Old 27 November 2006, 08:43   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
steering problem

During the fitting of my new seat I had to remove the steering cable and thread it through the new seat base so it looks vaguely tidy.

Since then I have noticed that when you do a few turns and settle into the straight ahead position, the wheel is not centred. I initially put this down to just needing to remove the wheel and align it, BUT ... the wheel settles in a different position every time

I would have thought with a solid cable steering, it should return to the same place every time so once you align the steering wheel it should stay aligned. I can understand with hydraulic steering that there might be "creep" over time - the tractors on Dad's farm have fully hydrostatic steering and they certainly do it - but this is changing by up to 1/4 turn at the wheel in the space of a few minutes. I can't get my head around how this could be? Seems to operate normally apart from this.

I couldn't swear 100% that it wasn't doing this before but I don't really think so as I didn't notice it, and I noticed it within about 5 minutes of going out the other week.

Any thoughts please?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2006, 16:28   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Perhaps you're running with a different trim setting?
Altering the trim can cause the boat to veer slightly from straight ahead, which will be compensated for by turning the wheel slightly
Old 27 November 2006, 17:48   #3

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
During the fitting of my new seat I had to remove the steering cable and thread it through the new seat base so it looks vaguely tidy.

Since then I have noticed that when you do a few turns and settle into the straight ahead position, the wheel is not centred. I initially put this down to just needing to remove the wheel and align it, BUT ... the wheel settles in a different position every time

I would have thought with a solid cable steering, it should return to the same place every time so once you align the steering wheel it should stay aligned. I can understand with hydraulic steering that there might be "creep" over time - the tractors on Dad's farm have fully hydrostatic steering and they certainly do it - but this is changing by up to 1/4 turn at the wheel in the space of a few minutes. I can't get my head around how this could be? Seems to operate normally apart from this.

I couldn't swear 100% that it wasn't doing this before but I don't really think so as I didn't notice it, and I noticed it within about 5 minutes of going out the other week.

Any thoughts please?
I don't want to make light of your predicament, but that must be scream to watch you coming in the marina you would look absolutely fished as apart..
Old 27 November 2006, 18:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
I don't want to make light of your predicament, but that must be scream to watch you coming in the marina you would look absolutely fished as apart..
Eh?

Downhilldai, could be but I don't think so as I'd never noticed it doing this before (misaligned steering wheels on vehicles are one of my pet hates!), and anyway I don't really alter the trim setting much as it sprays too much water up with the engine trimmed in so I leave it up in the "cruising" position all the time once I'm away from the slipway, just means that hole shot is not as good but she still gets up and goes well enough with only 2 on board. I didn't try it yesterday but normally you can go from idle to full speed without needing to make any steering adjustment at all, it doesn't pull under power. Its almost like the cable is stretching but I can't see how it can be? I'll try the trim theory next time out (the latest bodge up is only just starting to go so looks set to give me another whole days ribbing before I need to spend yet more time trying to make it airtight). Roll on the time when I have enough money to buy a Mac

My main worry is that there might be something on the point of breaking somewhere and giving me a sudden "interesting moment at full throttle" but I can't see anything obviously wrong and the cable looked fine when I had it out.

Thanks

Old 27 November 2006, 20:34   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...fished as apart
Quote:
Eh?
cumon Steven!

If you find the wheel in one position after turning to port and centring and in another after turning to starboard and centring and it's repeatable, it's free play in the steering system. It pushes in one direction and pulls in the other...obviously. Presumimg it's not about to fail for other reasons of course.

It is normal for the wheel to be in different positions whilst the boat is travelling straight ahead because you are compensating for external influences and these will constantly vary. I presume you don't mean this though.
Old 27 November 2006, 21:29   #6

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
is the connection where the cable joins the helm unit solid,

if it were not in properly the hole cable could move some, anot just the innerds.
Old 27 November 2006, 23:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
cumon Steven!

If you find the wheel in one position after turning to port and centring and in another after turning to starboard and centring and it's repeatable, it's free play in the steering system. It pushes in one direction and pulls in the other...obviously. Presumimg it's not about to fail for other reasons of course.

It is normal for the wheel to be in different positions whilst the boat is travelling straight ahead because you are compensating for external influences and these will constantly vary. I presume you don't mean this though.
Yes but unless I am blind (possible!) it didn't do it before..... there is about 1/10 turn of slack in the wheel before the engine starts to move but that is all.

No, this is not due to wind/tide influences.

Need to do some more scientific testing full lock to centre from each direction and see if there is a pattern I guess, and maybe take the steering cable out and have a look, though I've been trying to avoid doing that as it is jammed tight between the console and the fuel tank and is a pig of a thing to move.

Roll on next weekend - though by that time I'll probably have another hole in the tube to fix

Thanks just need to do some more scientific explanation I guess. At least nobody said "your cable is about to snap change it immediately" which was what I wondered

Old 28 November 2006, 06:12   #8
neb

Town: Derbyshire
Boat name: Neb nagoh
Make: Rimini
Engine: 90hp Yam AETO
Did you take the wheel off?

If so is the wheel attached correctly e.g. is the pin aligned where the wheel meets the column?

Good luck.
Old 28 November 2006, 07:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb View Post
Did you take the wheel off?

If so is the wheel attached correctly e.g. is the pin aligned where the wheel meets the column?

Good luck.
I haven't yet - I was just about to when I discovered that there appears to be no such thing as a "straight ahead position". I haven't got around to looking to see how the wheel comes off yet but I assume it's easy enough to shift!

Old 28 November 2006, 08:02   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
I haven't yet - I was just about to when I discovered that there appears to be no such thing as a "straight ahead position". I haven't got around to looking to see how the wheel comes off yet but I assume it's easy enough to shift!
Mine was a b to get off we had to use a set of pullers

James
Old 28 November 2006, 08:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Mine was a b to get off we had to use a set of pullers

James
OK ta for the warning, I'll try and break it while it is not in the water then!

Old 28 November 2006, 18:30   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Don't bother fighting with the wheel, unless you really need to remove it. They fit on a Morse 3/4" tapered shaft and, as has been said, can be a bitch to get off. It's not adjustable, in any case, as the shaft has a single keyway, not a spline.
Old 28 November 2006, 21:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Don't bother fighting with the wheel, unless you really need to remove it. They fit on a Morse 3/4" tapered shaft and, as has been said, can be a bitch to get off. It's not adjustable, in any case, as the shaft has a single keyway, not a spline.
Bugger. I was assuming it had some sensible arrangement like splines so I could stick it in the straight ahead position (or one of them anyway!) take the wheel off and pop it back on in a different position....

Ah well, that's one less job to do, more time to repair the tubes next time it bursts then, which ought to be about next Sunday

Thanks

Old 28 November 2006, 21:53   #14

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Stephen,

Is this a bit of a record for you staying rigid.
Old 28 November 2006, 23:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Stephen,

Is this a bit of a record for you staying rigid.
Yeah, I have found if you don't use it it doesn't go flat as often, but that defeats the object a bit as I was expecting to have it in the water for the summer a month ago and the average is 2 days out and needing more work. Roll on a Mac 570, nice indestructable polythene boat with 18mm thick tubes Trouble is here, it is often windy during the day and calm in the evenings so I'm missing out on a whole lot of early evening boating.....