Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 08 August 2007, 15:26   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Steering Bush Replacement Sequence Please?

Hi Guys,

I'd really appreciate a few pointers on this as the Yamaha workshop manual isn't a lot of help. It shows how to dismantle everything but doesn't specify what needs to come out to replace the steering bushes or indeed whether they just drop out or need some tools to remove/refit.

The lump is a 2000 F100 model#67F

Can someone help with a sequence/detail of what needs removing, e.g. electrics, covers,etc. Also can I lift the engine up and out with the gear shift shaft in place or does it have to come out. Although I'm hopeful from the manual views that the vertical shifter rod can be disengaged at the powerhead end but for all I know maybe the lower leg has to come off to allow re-engagement of the shifter!

Also will the engine balance OK lifted by the two brackets provided on top of the crankcase when the tilt/clamp bracket is left on the transom?

I'd really appreciate any insights you can offer on this or any similar vintage Yam as dealers don't want to touch a heavy job like this at this time of year and my straightline stability is rubbish becasue of the level of play here!

P.S. Any creative ideas on how to lift the engine clear of the steering bracket without access to the obvious engine lifters etc would be very welcome! I've the germ of an idea of lowering the jockey wheel fully, chocking the engine firmly vertical before removal of all bolts etc and then lifting the front of the trailer to drop the transom/steering bracket clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha Parts.gif
Views:	217
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	29085  
Old 08 August 2007, 16:40   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I haven't ever done a Yammi, but I've worked on numerous mercs and the sequence would be.
Assuming you wish to replace items no. 12.......

Remove gearbox (lower unit)
Remove powerhead
remove nuts 22
remove nuts 33
remove 15
remove 9

replace bushes

probably replace some of items 10, 11, 13

reverse above sequence

I'd imagine that a dealer would charge in excess of 500 pounds to do this job, as things rarely come apart as easy as they should!
Old 17 August 2007, 11:42   #3

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Thanks

Pretty much the sequence I'd planned except for taking off the lower leg. It looks like teh engine should move aft and clear of the steering bracket when the nuts you mention are removed so I'm not clear why the lower leg would have to come off?

I suppose it'll be one of those jobs that everything becomes clearer just a s the rain starts and darkness falls!

Parts ordered anyway!
Old 17 August 2007, 11:50   #4

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
what he said, mite be easer for ya to pull the foot off too, mite get your self a new lower mount bracket, they tend to get stuck on thare, if ya beat on it it just gets mangaled, far easer to just cut it off, the lower mount bracket.
no.14