Old 15 August 2022, 19:41   #1

Town: Old Saybrook
Boat name: BadDaddy
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: TBD
SR 6.3 Repower Discussion

Hi everyone. I’m restoring an SR6.3. The boat is rated for 770 pounds of engine weight on a transom but it’s only rated for 180 HP. I would love to rig this boat with a new single four stroke 200 even though I would be just over the HP rating because the new four stroke is still 240 pounds less weight than the max engine weight for the vessel. What are your thoughts? I know it could make insurance a little bit more difficult but the boat would probably sip fuel with the larger 200. Thanks for the advice
Old 15 August 2022, 19:50   #2

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Talk to your insurer first. When I suggested similar to my UK insurer they wouldn't cover me for anything over the rated HP of the boat
Old 15 August 2022, 21:06   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The boat will likely be fine & 20 hp over wouldnt bother me. This question comes up now & then & there are varying opinions & experiences some folk claim they get insurance easily & other claim its impossible & others inbetween. I re engined a 30ft cruiser with inboards which took it 80hp over its 520hp rating, never had an issue & the buyer didn't either although it was flagged up on his survey he asked the question & got insurance.
Things may be different for you in the USA so maybe ask a few insurers before you commit. It could be an expensive mistake! I wouldn't rely on an internet opinion for such a potentially expensive purchase

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app