Old 15 October 2014, 15:15   #1

Town: Christchurch
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 50
Servicing and winterising outboard

Hi,
Fairly new to boating and I upgraded from sib to small Bombard rib this summer which has a 97 tohatsu 50 2 stroke which I thoroughly enjoyed over the summer.
The engine is overdue a service (i'm not aware when it was last serviced) so I have couple of quick questions about servicing and winterising.
Please note i am not handy with anything mechanical so for I plan to use my local mobile marine contact- Ski Marine in Bournemouth before i store the boat in the garage over the winter. My questions-

- Is there a optimal time to service the engine- now as we head into winter or is it better to wait until the start of next season?
-I've heard the term but what does winterising involve exactly?
-Should i ask the engineer to winterise the engine whilst doing the engine service?
-Should i charge the battery periodically over the winter?

Sorry for the simple questions but keen to look after the old engine as best i can and appreciate any advice here
thanks
Old 15 October 2014, 18:29   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Length: 4m +
Here's my opinion......others may be along to give a different view.

- Is there a optimal time to service the engine- now as we head into winter or is it better to wait until the start of next season?

I used to service mine at the end of the season (end of Sept/early Oct) and get the engineer to winterise it at the same time. That way....when the weather broke in the Spring i was ready for action- rather than thinking oooh i need to get the old girl serviced before i take her out.

-I've heard the term but what does winterising involve exactly?

Fuel can block stuff up (sorry about the terminology 'stuff'- in my case it was jets in the carbs, but there are fuel injected engines out there as well) I believe the fuel is removed from your engine so as not to cause any harm. They also introduce a fogging oil which lightly coats the internals of your engine and stops it from rusting(?) It will also give the engine some sort of lubrication for when you fire it back up in the spring after months of it lying still.

-Should i ask the engineer to winterise the engine whilst doing the engine service?

Yes...i did. I don't think it was very expensive.

-Should i charge the battery periodically over the winter?

I use and old motorbike trickle charger to keep the battery topped up. I don't think its a good ideal to let the battery go flat as i don't think they can be recovered after a certain stage. I also had a battery isolator so i knew nothing was going to drain the battery, i just heard the extreme cold can effect batteries.

Having said all this.....i don't winterise now and try and get out at least once a month.!!
Old 16 October 2014, 21:36   #3

Town: Christchurch
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 50
Wibs- thanks for sharing. Sounds like good advice and thinking i'll do similar
Cheers
Old 16 October 2014, 21:56   #4

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Only other thing I would add is to drain and replace the gear oil. Top it up from the bottom screw until it comes out of the top hole.

This will ensure there's no water in the gear case. If the water freezes it can expand and cause the gear case to crack!
Old 17 October 2014, 07:54   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi
never winterized an engine in 40 years of boating never had any trouble but i always run them up every month at least,
what i have done this year is to treat the petrol with a stabilizer as the fuel now days contains up to 10% ethernol you can get water separation in the tank so i have read but got an inline water separator to protect the engine as well.
i service every year even if not used it much and before the start of the season.
not sure about water in the gear case though sounds if you think you have water then service before winter frosts to make sure.