Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 09 August 2021, 08:17   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Securing aux in tilted position

On my last trip the aux engine took a pounding because of sea conditions, it's a 3.5hp Tohatsu. I actually tied a rope to it in case it was going to part company, slowed down and the brackets survived but it's not good long term for it to bounce such. I don't want to secure it to the deck.

How best to secure your aux in the tilted position? Ratchet strap? Wood block? Locking pin doesn't seem very strong on these engines, and is one sided, plus the powerhead rotates 360. Need to keep the engine right side up because of the oil.
Old 09 August 2021, 10:12   #2

Length: 3m +
Does it have a bolt for tightening the shaft? That would be the first thing I did to fix the unit to prevent it swivelling. You'd probably want it fixed like that anyway if you you had to use it. I think you need a few degrees of turn on to counteract the offset nature. While the main outboard leg is useless as a rudder at low speed, once moving and gambling on grim conditions when it packs up you probably want it set up so that you can be safe at the main helm rather than squatting, half blind, in bad conditions in an aft quarter.

I would then seek to use a ratchet strap preferably through the carry handle rather than over the removable upper casing to internal transom eyes if available and in a lower enough location to apply enough downward pressure.

Alternatively, fitting a U bolt under the outboard and using a short strap from the carry handle might be the most elegant and least obtrusive solution?
Old 09 August 2021, 11:41   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I use a stainless eye bolt screwed into the transom knee, then run a ratchet strap through the Mariner 4hp starter-rope aperture around the fuel tank then back out the aperture and onto the ratchet. Works a treat.

I used to have a Tohatsu 3.5hp, so similar set up. Most auxilliary outboard saddles won't put up with the vibration and knocks if you're navigating in anything above flat calm, which for Scotland is non-existent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	138415  
Old 09 August 2021, 19:01   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Bolted on, bit of wood made to fit from the tilt pin with half circle notch in the end so it doesn’t slip off, slotted the other end to fit round the leg so the leg Carnot go up or down with a ratchet strap round the leg threaded through the saddle bolt at the back of the tilt pin.
Old 10 August 2021, 06:08   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Bolted on, bit of wood made to fit from the tilt pin with half circle notch in the end so it doesn’t slip off, slotted the other end to fit round the leg so the leg Carnot go up or down with a ratchet strap round the leg threaded through the saddle bolt at the back of the tilt pin.
exactly what i do but my wood has a half circle cut out where it locates on the leg and cut to 45 deg at tilt pin end ratchet strap goes to below the aux bracket transom pad through an eye bolt .i have to lift my aux as far as it can go before you can get the bit of 3x2 in so once released the aux dropping by half an inch keeps it in place well enough that when i forgot to put the ratchet strap on and went out in a meter of swell it was an hour before i noticed and all was still in place
Old 10 August 2021, 08:09   #6

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I had a 3.5 tohatsu aux clamped backwards on the transom so that the leg rested inside on the deck. I made a marine ply rest for the skeg and stainless tie downs to strap it down to. Engine was easily lifted off the transom and placed in the water if needed, not that it ever was.
Old 10 August 2021, 08:30   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
All sound ideas thanks guys.