Old 08 July 2007, 20:18   #1

Town: Londonderry
Boat name: Yellowmitch
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 90HP Outboard
Send a message via Skype™ to yellowmitch
searider 5.4 and e-tec prop advice needed

Hi there. I have an e-tec 90 with the standard 13.25 x 17 prop on a searider 5.4m. The engine is sitting down so as it touches the transom (bottom hole) and the cavitation plate sits just slightly above the bottom of the hull.

I can get 4500rpm with this set up, but would like to get more (namely 5000)

Evinrude suggest this to be the suitable top rpm and so I am wondering should I change the prop, or should I lift thee engine a hole.

I had an accident with my prop today, and so I have to buy a new one PRONTO. (I need it for Tuesday)

What should I buy (size, brand, etc)

What Should I pay?

And finally where do I buy it to have it for Tuesday ?
Old 08 July 2007, 20:27   #2

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I have a brand new one in my garage if you want to buy it could arrange delivery
Old 08 July 2007, 20:32   #3

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Just got it out foryour info its genuine evenrude ali prop 17x14 had it as spare cost 128 pounds you can have for 70.00 plus postage if its any help
Old 08 July 2007, 21:32   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Mitch,

Before you lift the engine on the transom I would try a lower pitched prop. I always tend to buy manufacturers props however there are loads of different ones out there, its a bit of a black art getting the right prop for your engine however if you want to get 500 more RPM wich I would say you do then I would start by trying a 13.25x15" a rule of thumb is about 200RPM per inch of pitch.

I have found Aquamarine in Chertsey to hold quite a lot of stock http://www.aquamarineuk.com speak to John. he can advise you of the best bet for you engine.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmitch View Post
Hi there. I have an e-tec 90 with the standard 13.25 x 17 prop on a searider 5.4m. The engine is sitting down so as it touches the transom (bottom hole) and the cavitation plate sits just slightly above the bottom of the hull.

I can get 4500rpm with this set up, but would like to get more (namely 5000)

Evinrude suggest this to be the suitable top rpm and so I am wondering should I change the prop, or should I lift thee engine a hole.

What should I buy (size, brand, etc)

What Should I pay?

And finally where do I buy it to have it for Tuesday ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2007, 21:36   #5

Sorry saw you are in Ireland

Try these, got them off the BRP website...

Lisnaskea
Ernecraft Ltd
Derryhurdyn
Brookborough Road
Co Fermanaugh, N. Ireland
BT92 0LD
Tel: +44.28.677.21555
Fax: +44.28.677.21150

www.ernecraft.com
www.isismotorboat.com
Northern Ireland

Sion Mills
Jet Products Ltd
191 Melmount Road
C. Tyrone
BT82 9LA
Tel: +44 28 816 58668

sales@jetproducts.co.uk
www.jetproducts.co.uk
Northern Ireland

Coleraine
Newmills Car and Marine
54 Newmills Road
BT52 2JD
Tel: 02870 343535
Fax: 02870 351431
michael@newmillsmarine.com

Northern Ireland

Born fiddler
Old 09 July 2007, 07:45   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmitch View Post
Hi there. I have an e-tec 90 with the standard 13.25 x 17 prop on a searider 5.4m. The engine is sitting down so as it touches the transom (bottom hole) and the cavitation plate sits just slightly above the bottom of the hull. I can get 4500rpm with this set up, but would like to get more (namely 5000)
I would have thought that 90 hp could turn that prop and reach full revs on an Avon. Are you trimming the engine out when you are on the plane ? and if its got a flooding hull is it emptying properly?

The Evinrude Dealer in Coleraine has a slipway on to the River Bann so he can do speed tests above the weir, which could be useful. Suggest you take the boat along and ask for there help. Always been helpful to me in the past.

Pete
Old 09 July 2007, 08:16   #7

Prop

Thanks guys for all the help so far. First prt of call is to try the local dealers and see if they have a standard prop in stock.

Thanks PeterR for the offer of a prop, but unfortunately I think it will be too big.

I have decided that the only two sizes that I am willing to fit are 13.25 x 15 or 13.25 x 17, most likiely the latter as it seemed to work ok on the boat.

I will see what I can turn up locally this morning and if that does not work, then it's royal mail special delivery all the way!!!

p.s. I think my hull is emptying properly because as I go faster the boat DOES become more rolly polly, and when I slow down I can feel it filling.

I reckon standard prop and lift a hole is the best option at the min.

If anyone has any better ideas, please continue to contribute.

P.s. Stainless or alu?

Mitch
Old 09 July 2007, 12:06   #8

Mitch if your cavitation plate is already 1" above the bottom of the transom and you raise it more I think you may start to have cavitation issues.

I own a 5.25 metre Rib with a 11 year old 90 on the back and it is pulling 5300RPM with a 19" prop. So it suprises me you are only getting 4500 RPM on a NEW Etec.

What speed are you getting with a 17" prop at the moment at 4500RPM?

Chris

Born fiddler
Old 09 July 2007, 12:11   #9

speed

hitting around 40mph Chris.

Could just be that the engine is not yet fully run in.

Also, when I say 1" above the bottom, I mean the VERY bottom, and it is a sharp V, so to lift another 1" might be safe enough

I think I am going to stick with the standard prop, because I think that stainless is too hard if I hit something.

I am going to the local dealer now to buy another standard prop, unless I can be better advised!

Mitch
Old 09 July 2007, 12:22   #10

Mitch if you are getting 40MPH on a 17" prop I think you will find your RPMs are higher then you think (or the tacho is telling you)

I would check they have set the RPM guage on your dash correctly as there is a small dial on the back to set it for the engine it is being used on.

I think 40MPH on that prop base a 2.1 gearbox ration would be giving around 5,200 RPM

Chris

Born fiddler
Old 09 July 2007, 15:25   #11

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Mitch,

I have the same set-up, 90 ETEC on a SR 5.4. Great combo.

Running the standard BRP aluminum 13.25 x 17. Dealer set up the boat with the engine raised 1 hole. No cavitation problems. With that set-up and 1 person with little (<5 gal) fuel and no gear aboard, I was getting about 5200-5300 RPM, when trimmed properly. Don't know about speed, but it feels pretty damned fast! Recommended RPM range is 5000-5500. The tech was pretty happy with that set-up when he tested it. I want to switch to a 15P prop, as when I'm running my normal load of 1-2 adults, 2 kids and a bunch of gear, I can't get more than 4700-4800 RPM. I'm pretty sure the 13.25 x 15 is the best overall BRP aluminum prop for this combo unless you're always running really light.

I'm tempted to go to a Michigan Wheel Apollo stainless, but it's pricey... I actually think a 4 blade would be best for my use, might help keep me planing at lower speeds, and give me better towing bite when I'm pulling sailboats.

Do have the dealer check out the tach though, I've heard of a lot of BRP tachs under-reporting RPM...

Dan

P.S. my boat does has Nauticus Smart-Tabs, though I don't think that has much bearing on prop selection. Does help get and keep the boat planing though!
Old 10 July 2007, 09:11   #12

Boat

Thanks guys, and thanks Dan.

Was hoping you would reply to this one, since you have the same combo

Have been chatting to Micheal in Coleriane (the most local e-tec guy) and he is going to lift it a hole for me sometime during the week, so that's good.

I also have now fitted my brand new standard prop (which I got from sion mills) and hopefully that will be a good job.

My journey to sion mills also made me purchase another toy....... a yamaha jetski (INFLATABLE!!!!). So damn cool, so I reckon I will cruise up the river past my office on that today.

Have now also got my A frame fitted, with lights and aerial and have collected my new 6hp Johnson, so looking good.

Just a few fiddly bits of painting and tidying at the boat now, and Scotland, here I come.

Anymore advice on paint for the hull, where to store the Johnson, good waterproof self adhesive rubber (for sealing up the seat) etc is all mucho appreciated.

Finally if anyone needs A4 stainless fixings, try inox.ie

Mitch