Old 14 June 2009, 08:07   #1

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Scorched Props

Hi all,

Heard a rather unusual comment yesterday. Someone (who should know what he's talking about) said that he had looked at the props on all the RIBs we use at my local sailing club and noticed they were "scorched". He said this is caused by superheated air "scorching" the prop when the engine is trimmed up too much and ventilates. He further said he was going to try to stop all the safety boat drivers trimming up, and rather to use more throttle to prevent this "scorching".

I've been a poweboat instructor for five years, and been around boats my whole life and i've never heard this before. I have seen caviatation damage to props, but not on outboards. Has anyone else heard of this idea?

Have fun.
Old 14 June 2009, 08:40   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I've never heard of Ventilation damage to a prop either. But sounds more like cavitation, where the water superheated right at the surface of the prop and creates billions of little bubbles that damage the prop surface.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 09:09   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Yeah, that's a bright lad you have there , burn more gas every day to save a prop change every five or six years! In any case, you'll damage more props launching/recovering than you will from pitting. What's next on his list?

Reduce trimming of sails, to save wear on sheets?
Keep Yachts beached to reduce erosion to antifoul?

He reminds me of certain ribbers (no names!) who buy a £30,000 rib and obsess over whether they use 1 or 1.1L/Nm.
Old 14 June 2009, 09:15   #4

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
sounds more like cavitation, where the water superheated right at the surface of the prop and creates billions of little bubbles that damage the prop surface.
That's what i thought, he might just have the words confused. Have you ever seen significant cav damage on an outboard prop? I've never had to change a RIB prop because of that kind of damage.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:15   #5

Town: Fareham
I've only ever seen props where the paint is damaged. Obviously on Alloy props. But to be honest if you did have problems with serious cavitation, would you seek a soloution, so not that many damaged props around to look at.

BTW, I was told all props suffer with Cavitation given the right situation. That's why billions of £'s has been spent researching props for submarines.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 10:43   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600 View Post
That's what i thought, he might just have the words confused. Have you ever seen significant cav damage on an outboard prop? I've never had to change a RIB prop because of that kind of damage.
I've seen it, but it's never been bad enough to be a problem.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 11:14   #7

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
chuffin ell,
i was showing Ian sharlot my prop only yesteday, and asking his opinion why the prop has lost the paint on the tips and only on one side, looks as if i have run it in the sand, but i know i have not done so, + its one side only and not the tip edge,
my conclusion engine was set to high on transom i have lowerd it an inch now + up a pitch on new prop see how it goes but yes was prone to rev its nads of if trimed any thing above half way, i thought the prop bush was naff,
but have seen 52 on the gps
Old 14 June 2009, 12:19   #8

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Engine: Yam115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600 View Post
Hi all,

Heard a rather unusual comment yesterday. Someone (who should know what he's talking about) said that he had looked at the props on all the RIBs we use at my local sailing club and noticed they were "scorched". He said this is caused by superheated air "scorching" the prop when the engine is trimmed up too much and ventilates. He further said he was going to try to stop all the safety boat drivers trimming up, and rather to use more throttle to prevent this "scorching".

I've been a poweboat instructor for five years, and been around boats my whole life and i've never heard this before. I have seen caviatation damage to props, but not on outboards. Has anyone else heard of this idea?

Have fun.
Wow, makes me laugh because that would mean all offshore racing or drag boats would have this problem. I run a 23" cleaver with my prop shaft 4" below pad and zero problems. It's still too flighty up front so setting back 6" plus lifting 2" more. My props look great and really this guy should stay away from boats since he's a little
Old 14 June 2009, 12:34   #9

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
So far over the last three years I have found the cavitation caused when the prop starts digging gravel to be more of a problem than anything else

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 18:05   #10

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I believe that this can also be caused by having a prop thats diameter is too small.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 02:49   #11

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Getting back on thread - Is this an example of cavitation erosion about 10mm in from the leading edge of all three blades on this prop. Both props were like this and looking decidedly flimsy on the leading edge. I was planning to replace the pair beforeI struck some concrete in an indicated 13 foot of water 150m off the beach. I have since been able to source one replacement and awaiting another. The second prop has this sort of pitting damage but the blades are okay - is it possible to have the better of teh two props rebuilt as a spare?

I also wondered whether this damage as linked to anodes being ineffective or the effect of missing earthing straps between leg and engine mounting bracket?

Any advice gratefully received
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9171.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	43277  
Old 15 June 2009, 07:55   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I ran a too-small (pitch) prop for a bit with a missing spacer. Ended up with a line cut about a half-inch in from the tips, starting about a half inch from the leading edge, and about an inch and a half long. It ate through the plastic (epoxy?) paint, and into the aluminum. ended up removing perhaps .040" depth, about 1/4" wide.

If it's eating metal over most of the blade width, I'd suspect electrolysis. if that's the case, the surface should have a definite pitted appearance.

jky
Old 15 June 2009, 08:33   #13

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Young2 View Post
I also wondered whether this damage as linked to anodes being ineffective or the effect of missing earthing straps between leg and engine mounting bracket?

Any advice gratefully received
Paint damage on hub looks more like electrolitic corosion,
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 09:13   #14

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I believe that this can also be caused by having a prop thats diameter is too small.
This was certainly the case with me,while sorting out the right prop for the new e-tec tried a few different sizes,finaly settled on 19''[engine supplied with 17]sorted!...ALSO!
CONGRATS TO CHRIS AND FAMILY!!! BONNY NEW BABY BOY 'CHARLIE' ARRIVED AT THE WEEKEND, All the best from Karen and me!....
See the trouble being a 'Born fiddler' can get you into!
Old 15 June 2009, 09:54   #15

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote