Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 20 August 2009, 07:26   #21

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Oil changes

It was a 1932 Standard Little Nine saloon....sold it last year. The engine was a 1005cc sidevalve unit and in common with engines of the time, had no oil filter, no air filter, and not even a water pump. The radiator looked like one off a bus, and got really hot, but the engine only developed 22bhp.
The engine had white metal bearings on the crankshaft and these were nothing like as durable as the modern type.
Old 20 August 2009, 16:00   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Didnt chrysler make a sealed for life engine ?

Not an issue if it only lasts 6 months...

jky
Old 20 August 2009, 16:27   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
It was a 1932 Standard Little Nine saloon....sold it last year. The engine was a 1005cc sidevalve unit and in common with engines of the time, had no oil filter, no air filter, and not even a water pump. The radiator looked like one off a bus, and got really hot, but the engine only developed 22bhp.
The engine had white metal bearings on the crankshaft and these were nothing like as durable as the modern type.

Like this?

Lovely!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1932 Standard Little Nine.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	45035  
Old 20 August 2009, 17:47   #24

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Cars

Yeah exactly the same, except mine was maroon with black wings. That one is a MK 1 like mine was, which meant no fuel gauge, a 3 speed crash gearbox, no indicators of any sort, and even the bumpers were an optional extra.
You did get a full sunroof though. And a dynamo that couldn't keep up when you had the headlights on, meaning that the battery eventually went flat. "drive more in daylight hours" suggested the owners handbook. Also the windscreen could be fully opened "for better visibility in fog".
Old 20 August 2009, 19:23   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Yeah exactly the same, except mine was maroon with black wings. That one is a MK 1 like mine was, which meant no fuel gauge, a 3 speed crash gearbox, no indicators of any sort, and even the bumpers were an optional extra.
You did get a full sunroof though. And a dynamo that couldn't keep up when you had the headlights on, meaning that the battery eventually went flat. "drive more in daylight hours" suggested the owners handbook. Also the windscreen could be fully opened "for better visibility in fog".
lol .. times like they used to be eh ? gotta love that .. I enjoy a vintage restoration or two meself, although mine are usually tractors

But always a pleasure to see an interest in some vintage machinery by others
Old 23 August 2009, 11:39   #26

Town: Rigaud, Que.
Boat name: Rigaud Explorer
Make: 6m Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam115
I have a 99 GMC Suburban with 5.7 L engine and I use Mobile1 oil, always have. I change every 40k miles but every 3k miles I replace the oil filter, clean air filter and top off the oil. I drive in -30f or colder conditions in the winter and no we don't sit there running the engine till it's at operating temp before driving off. At -30 I do idle for 5 min. and go but other then that I don't warm up the engine. Once you have oil pressure it takes less then 1 min to lube. I have 185k miles and don't burn oil or pass any between filter changes.

I also have a 95 Honda Civic with 200k miles and no issues.

cheers