Old 23 April 2011, 18:58   #1

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Reverse = forwards?

Hello

Recently got a new outboard - was inspected etc and all seemed well. Its a mariner 30hp 2 stroke electic start manual tilt oil injection from the late nineties.

Was working fine until today when it started doing something odd. When selecting forward on the remote I went forwards no surprises there. Neutral is neutral. But reverse is forwards too! This caused a slipway scrape when I tried to motor onto the trailer and found my reverse gear no longer existed. The remote is operating correctly, the gear select on the engine moves correctly and seems to engage, only the wrong gear.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? I hope its not a gearbox issue. I'm fairly disappointed that my new supposedly reliable rig has failed on it's third outing despite having it all professionally looked over. It hasn't hit anything and worked fine until today.
Old 23 April 2011, 21:28   #2

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_elliott View Post
Hello

Recently got a new outboard - was inspected etc and all seemed well. Its a mariner 30hp 2 stroke electic start manual tilt oil injection from the late nineties.

Was working fine until today when it started doing something odd. When selecting forward on the remote I went forwards no surprises there. Neutral is neutral. But reverse is forwards too! This caused a slipway scrape when I tried to motor onto the trailer and found my reverse gear no longer existed. The remote is operating correctly, the gear select on the engine moves correctly and seems to engage, only the wrong gear.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? I hope its not a gearbox issue. I'm fairly disappointed that my new supposedly reliable rig has failed on it's third outing despite having it all professionally looked over. It hasn't hit anything and worked fine until today.
Hi, it is more than likely the long nut that joins the down gear rod to the gearbox gear rod that has worked its self loose, it also should have a lock nut.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2011, 15:20   #3

Further development attempted to start for a flush but now won't start seems to be stuck in gear. Does that support your theory Ian (I could picture a loose bolt jamming the gears?) or does it point us in another direction?
You can move the remote fine and the shifter at the powerhead moves, but you can't freewheel the prop in neutral
Old 24 April 2011, 15:33   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
The other less likely cause is that you have a left handed prop fitted. But then, you wouldn't have had the 'fine' period.
Old 24 April 2011, 17:45   #5

Hi Rik
I am guessing that you have had the impeller changed in the not to distant past, this long nut has to be undone to be able to remove the gearbox, my guess is that the lock nut was not done up and the vibration and moving the gear leaver has resulted in it comming undone.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 24 April 2011, 18:49   #6

Indeed the impeller was changed with a service just before collecting a week or two ago.

As ever ribnet proves itself a font of knowledge. Many thanks for your input gentlemen. Will report back once I have it fixed.
Old 24 April 2011, 22:36   #7

Hi Rik
Take it back to the people who serviced and get them to put it right.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Old 25 April 2011, 08:23   #8

Length: 6m +
Impeller change gone wrong. Start in gear has kicked in, simply drop the leg and re-fit with both gears lined up in neutral.

Or take it back to the dealer you got it from - these things can (shouldn't) happen. Hopefully it's not done any other damage.

Let us know how you get on

Peter ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 26 April 2011, 14:37   #9

all sorted. your diagnosis was correct. Many thanks everyone. Will know what to look out for in future