Old 20 December 2011, 19:30   #1

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
rev counter

hi new to boating, can someone tell the benifits of having a rev counter for my outboard
Old 20 December 2011, 20:45   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
For a 20HP it is certainly not essential, but the benefits are:

(1) You may notice early warning of any problem developing (when you see the max rpm are no longer so good.
(2) It can help you select / optimise the correct propellor for your boat / configuration / load.
(3) You don't want your engine reving over its maximum (before any rev limitter kicks in if one is fitted) as it will shorten its life.
(4) It will help if there is a problem with your engine lacking performance it can help to know what rpm you are getting (e.g. high revs, no power - possible slipping hub; max throttle lower revs, possible fuel problem etc; engine sitting at 2000/3000 rpm - possible limp home mode)
(5) If it has an hour meter built in (many don't) it will help ensure you get it serviced when needed.
Old 20 December 2011, 21:12   #3

Town: Cullompton Devon
Boat name: SeaKnight
Make: bayliner Capri 20'
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam V4 130hp
HI Polwart
thanks for your info, i now have a mariner 2001 50hp elpt i picked up weekend gone, and it came with a quicksilver rev counter, which i have not yet got round to conecting. i have alot to learn about the outboard and how to use it properly. took it out on the saturday down the canal to try it out, was well impressed with it compeared to my old 20hp. next time i take it out i will rig the rev counter and try and take some reading, i did notice that from going slow to around half way on the throttle it did on many times rev funny and seemed like there was alot of power but not going well at all, so played around with the tilt and trim switch than all a sudden it took right off, like a said i have alot to learn, thanks for your help
matt