Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 24 April 2007, 13:42   #1

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Length: 7m +
Engine: 1 200hp merc
restarting optis righting ribs

dos anyone know the correct procedure for restarting a merc opti after it had been submerged and or taken in water? and the best way to right a rolled over rib. and dos anyone know if you can hand start a 200 opti as iv heard you can hand start the big yamahas but never heard anything about optis. It started from a conversation me and a few m8s were having and everyone had different ideas. thanks
Andy
Old 24 April 2007, 14:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
dos anyone know the correct procedure for restarting a merc opti after it had been submerged and or taken in water? and the best way to right a rolled over rib. and dos anyone know if you can hand start a 200 opti as iv heard you can hand start the big yamahas but never heard anything about optis. It started from a conversation me and a few m8s were having and everyone had different ideas. thanks
Andy
Mr Garton is the resident expert: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=bridle.
Old 24 April 2007, 15:00   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
Andy
I couldn't find a fly wheel groove to put a piece of string in to pull start my Opti 150 when I had one. Also believe you need some sparks to run the compressor before it will fire so I don't think you can pull start them. I added a second battery to be on the safe side.

Please tell us you haven't turned an 200 Opti over at sea

Pete
Old 24 April 2007, 16:30   #4

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
i would say you can not hand start the opti 200, for one it needs to turn over almost a revolution before it starts so i dont reckon it would hand start, plus there is nothing on it i have seen for manual starting, plus it likes a big battery so handstarting must be a no no

plus if something had been submerged it would be difficult to start anyway so unless you are jeff capes or mr universe i reckon you have no chance

two summers ago i saw a smaller merc 90 get submerged

they righted it, got it onto land, took the plugs out, kept spinning it over an evenentulaly got it started and then spent the next week and a half waterskiing behind it. but they used the starter motor all the time to turn it over
time is of the essence in these things i believe and a lot of luck
Old 24 April 2007, 16:43   #5

Boat name: llyn raider
Make: xs
Engine: 1 200hp merc
nope havent turned one over. had a m8 who back fliped one off a big wave. they got it back over and restarted it at sea. it was only a 5.2 with a 50hp but it got me thinking if i could do it with the right people. guess not lol.
Old 24 April 2007, 21:59   #6
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
OPTIS, run a compressor to inject a fuel/ air mixture into the cylinder at the correct time , so if your opti got inverted , and submerged , I think water would get into the fuel injection and air injection system , and cause some serious damage , to either the compressor , or the injection solenoid . Id tow it home and call the insurance company ........ I wouldn't even attempt to turn it over until i was 100% sure that the injection system and compressor were water free.