Old 13 June 2008, 23:14   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Removing Tohatsu50 Lower Unit

Hi,

Was planning on replacing water pump impellor on my Tohatsu 50 2 stroke. I removed the 6 bolts under the bentilation plate and the lower unit came away slightly then was impeded by the gear linkage and that's my problem!

How do you seperate the gear linkage on these engines. There is a small bronze collar about half way up the leg which is the only place the gear rod is visible. Initially I thought it was 2 allen type grub screws but just seems to be a bit of small tube hammered in to the collar. These did not seem keen to move so I probably have to drill them out.

Before I do this, can anyone confirm if this is the correct thing to remove in order to seperate the gear rod?

Have not been able to find a service manaul for these engines yet (2006).

An exploded diagram of the lower unit would also suffice!

Cheers,
Al
Old 14 June 2008, 07:14   #2

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Just below the steering shaft assembly there is a gap between this and the lower unit. In that gap is a sleve that connects the gear shift with the gear box with two small spring pins, you may see this better when the engine is in reverse, (being in reverse will also allow you to turn the prop to line the shaft back up with the power head when re fitting). Use a small punch and hammer to remove the lower pin and keep safe for re fitting. The lower unit should now come away.
good luck
Old 14 June 2008, 18:37   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
Just below the steering shaft assembly there is a gap between this and the lower unit. In that gap is a sleve that connects the gear shift with the gear box with two small spring pins, you may see this better when the engine is in reverse, (being in reverse will also allow you to turn the prop to line the shaft back up with the power head when re fitting). Use a small punch and hammer to remove the lower pin and keep safe for re fitting. The lower unit should now come away.
good luck
A 3.0 or 3.5 mm diam pin punch & hollow punch tools will be the right ones along with a hammer. A hollow punch or small hand press could be used to put back pins, Grease well pins when placing back to avoid seizing up. Do not deform pins being re fitted to shift rod joint. Tohatsu does not recommend used sprig pins back on, but if in good shape/condition, why not re use again.

Happy Boating