alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Redbay 7.4 / Yamaha ME420sti - HydraDrive

Hi all,
Friend in the local club has just landed with one of these and has a few questions, thought i'd try to assist.

I know little about this block (apart from it's a cousin of the Landcruiser 4.2) / out-drive.

First thing I had him do was replace the gear-oil / clean the gauze on the out-drive.

1) Suspect he has the wrong prop fitted. Came with a SOLAS 3511-143-21 which appears to be 14/3" 21" - it just felt wrong

2) Any idea of WOT RPM on this engine? We got 3400RPM @ 45km/h

3) Oil spitting out the dip-stick and crank (front) seal, but the breather is not blocked. Apparently someone else local to us had similar issues (waiting to hear back from him). Turns out the dip-stick is broken (new one on order). Regarding the crank seal... if it is gone, does anyone know if this engine is a timing belt or chain? (If chain at rear of engine, would make changing crank seal a lot easier)

4) I'm a Volvo KAD person but always showed interest in these engines (Another cousin of the Yanmar?) but my knowledge of the engine / out-drive is very limited... any idea of a source for even general owners manual> (boat came with nothing).
Old 23 June 2021, 07:00   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
«HYDRA-DRIVE» DIESEL STERN DRIVE BLACK STAINLESS STEEL PROPELLER
Drive Model Part Number Diameter Pitch Blade Hub Rotation Remark
Single propeller, right-hand rotation
# Dia Pitch #blades Rot
6U3-45971-00-00 18" 13 3 WR RH
6U3-45973-00-00 17.5" 15 3 WR RH
6U3-45975-00-00 17" 17 3 WR RH
6U3-45977-00-00 16+3/4" 19 3 WR RH
6U3-45979-00-00 16+3/8" 21 3 WR RH

Timing belt.

27kts seems a bit light - is it an open boat or a "heavy"?
Old 23 June 2021, 21:34   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Hi all,

Friend in the local club has just landed with one of these and has a few questions, thought i'd try to assist.

I know little about this block (apart from it's a cousin of the Landcruiser 4.2) / out-drive.

First thing I had him do was replace the gear-oil / clean the gauze on the out-drive.

1) Suspect he has the wrong prop fitted. Came with a SOLAS 3511-143-21 which appears to be 14/3" 21" - it just felt wrong

2) Any idea of WOT RPM on this engine? We got 3400RPM @ 45km/h

3) Oil spitting out the dip-stick and crank (front) seal, but the breather is not blocked. Apparently someone else local to us had similar issues (waiting to hear back from him). Turns out the dip-stick is broken (new one on order). Regarding the crank seal... if it is gone, does anyone know if this engine is a timing belt or chain? (If chain at rear of engine, would make changing crank seal a lot easier)

4) I'm a Volvo KAD person but always showed interest in these engines (Another cousin of the Yanmar?) but my knowledge of the engine / out-drive is very limited... any idea of a source for even general owners manual> (boat came with nothing).
Should make close to 4000rpm lightly loaded & max rated to 3800 with 3600 max continuous rating. Front crank seal isnt hard to do once you get the crank pulley bolt loose 600nm torque iirc & fecking tight with a little corrosion thrown in for good measure. It has a timing belt but its gear driven to the pump & cam drives via toothed belt from the front of the pump. Belt is a doddle to change & destroys the engine if it snaps so cheap insurance if no history.
Gaskets belts filters & seals starter & alternator etc are all landcruiser stuff so easily sourced from local parts shop but easier if you have a landcruiser registration no handy. I can give you a landcruiser reg to use its a 24v version so on your 12v engine the timing belt will be different, you need a reg from an early hdj80 to get the correct belt almost everything else is the same as my hdj100 series
Old 24 June 2021, 11:56   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
If you go on the Roughtrax website, it lets you pick a 12V 80.

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/parts/l...80-90-94-parts
Old 28 June 2021, 22:32   #5
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Thanks very much for all the advice.

Tags
redbay, yamaha